[ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper

Search This thread

MotoDefier

Aug 4, 2011
Flower Mound
This as far as I know is ONLY for the US Verizon and US ATT versions, due to our locked bootloaders. If you have a German version I am guessing it is an international version. I think you should use CF Auto root to root your version as you do not have a locked bootloader.
Now if you are soft bricked you will need to find the firmware version for your phone to flash and get you back to stock. Then check the international forum to make sure CF Auto root will work for your phone and its firmware

This is probably the case, as this rooting method only works on the Qualcomm chipset. The international version use a a different chipset.

No your device should not be perma-bricked you will need to purchase a USB jig for download mode. They can be purchased on eBay.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Free mobile app

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
I just want to say that towelroot works on the Android 4.2.2 MDL firmware, so using moto chopper for it is kind of obsolete.

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
I just want to say that towelroot works on the Android 4.2.2 MDL firmware, so using moto chopper for it is kind of obsolete.

Can you still have TWRP/CWM recovery? If not then you cannot flash kernels. So no AOSP based Roms.
Also I thought for sure I read that towelroot had to be on newer firmware versions to work at all

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
Can you still have TWRP/CWM recovery? If not then you cannot flash kernels. So no AOSP based Roms.
Also I thought for sure I read that towelroot had to be on newer firmware versions to work at all

It all works. I rooted my At&t sgh-i337 with towelrootv-3.apk (the no internet connection needed version), Android 4.2.2 MDL firmware. I installed ShabbyPenguin's Clockwork mod recovery with no issues. I used ZedoMax's method to get it. I haven't flashed any roms yet, just did a Nandroid backup of the stock rom for now.

Last edited:

droid_noobie

Jan 4, 2012
Philadelphia
Does this work on the I9500

I have the I9500. It has the latest updates from Samsung. I download the motochopper software and it is stuck on the adb daemon process.
I am on windows 7 - 64 bit. The Android version is 5.01

The Kernel version is 3.4.5-4967952

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Why not flash twrp to the m919 and then flash supersu from twrp? I don't think the m919 has a locked bootloader like some of the att phones running the latest rom.

AMM33

Aug 2, 2016
Any ideas how I can root on 4.4.4 without entering download mode? My volume keys are broken so I can't use that, but motochopper isn't working on 4.4.4

slprlan

Jul 21, 2012
trying to root my S4 but i'm getting this error
"error only position independent executables (pie) are supported"

Do I need to do something prior to motochopper?

Thanx
J

gorgy76

Nov 19, 2010
Is anyone still got zip files for this? The link from the OP is not working anymore. Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A recent root exploit I published for Motorola devices, Motochopper, should do the trick for rooting the Qualcomm-based variants of the Samsung Galaxy S4, including the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile branded models.

Download the exploit here:
    http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
    2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
    3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
    4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
    5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
    6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

Warning:
    At this point, since there are no custom recoveries or stock images available, it may not be possible to repair your device should you accidentally break it. Please be aware of this before performing any modifications to your phone.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0
    i cant find the development options for this phone, UGHH any help guys lol

Go to System Settings --> About Phone and tap several times on Build Number.
    debugging is on, installed usb drivers and im on Win7 64bit.

Device manager shows ADB driver installation too...

Sorry about that, just needed to update the version of ADB I was including. It should work fine now. Try downloading a fresh copy from the same link and trying again.

I've updated the instructions to mention that you will need to approve the ADB connection from your PC on the device.
    I tried to send a PM to @djrbliss but he has it disabled.

CASUAL handles Windows, Linux, and Mac in a single Java JAR. you can open it up and go into the /SCRIPTS/ folder then open the SCR to see your code rewritten in CASUAL format.

The benefeit of CASUAL scripting is that it performs troubleshooting for the user

Download http://d-h.st/64i

33o475s.png

Anyway, i always rewrite in CASUAL format because its more useful to have a single file that works on all platforms rather than a zip file that has differences for each.
    Although I love that this was found...part of me feels it should be in the other dev section...as this method isnt exactpy "original" its a methid for a different phone that just so happens to work...just my .02

Anyways as I already stated edtremly greatful...nice to have root again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Its more original than anything else that will be in this forum. djrbliss is the originating other of the exploit, and the person that located the vulnerability used.