[GUIDE] Fix Fastboot on Windows 8.1 [Latest fix as of 8/25/14]

Search This thread

dr3amsINdigital

Jul 7, 2012
I know there are multiple fixes out there for getting Windows 8.1 to detect HTC phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD processor and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of PCs and HTC phones. It worked for me on my computer with Windows 8.1 x64, Intel processor, and USB 2.0.

This is a repost of a thread by @izi501 in the Wildfire S forums; I just wanted to help spread the word. Credit goes to Auth from 4PDA and @niks255.

The issue has something to do with the BOS descriptor in Windows 8.1. It has been fixed in update rollup 2967917.

Instructions:
1. Install update rollup 2967917 for Windows 8.1.
- To check if you have the update installed already, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > type "KB2967917" in the search box.
- If you don't have the update installed, open Windows Update to install it.​
2. Download the attached file Fastboot.reg.txt and change the extension to Fastboot.reg.
3. Right click on the Start button and choose Command Prompt (admin). Then type "regedit" and press enter.
4. Go to File > Import > choose Fastboot.reg.

That should be it; Windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! :)

Attachments

• Fastboot.reg.txt
    324 bytes · Views: 90,233
Last edited:

dr3amsINdigital

Jul 7, 2012
Yes it will fix this issue for all PC's. Read about it here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog...8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43.aspx
I'm wondering why my reg file works for One S. Your device must have a different code, so it means a different registry key. Did you check it for yourself?
I wasn't aware that the reg file was supposed to be device-specific. I didn't check for codes specific to the One S, but I used your reg file and it worked fine for me. I don't have the phone anymore, so I can't check. Maybe someone else can verify the registry keys.

Anyway, thanks for the fix!

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NetPerseo

Oct 21, 2014
i know there are multiple fixes out there for getting windows 8.1 to detect htc phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an intel or amd processor and usb 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of pcs. It worked for me on my computer with windows 8.1 x64, intel processor, and usb 2.0. I have a s4 one s; i'm not sure if this works with s3.

This is a repost of a thread by @izi501 in the wildfire s forums; i just wanted to help spread the word. Credit goes to auth from 4pda and @niks255.

The issue has something to do with the bos descriptor in windows 8.1. It has been fixed in update rollup 2967917.

instructions:
  1. install update rollup 2967917 for windows 8.1
    • to check if you have the update installed already, go to control panel > programs and features > view installed updates > type "kb2967917" in the search box.
    • if you don't have the update installed, open windows update to install it.

2. download the attached file fastboot.reg.txt and change the extension to fastboot.reg.

3. right click on the start button and choose command prompt (admin). Then type "regedit" and press enter.

4. go to file > import > choose fastboot.reg.
that should be it; windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! This will probably be one of my last posts here. I needed this fix to restore to stock, since i just sold my phone (i've moved on to the oneplus one). Thanks to all the devs out there that have made the htc one s so great!

perfect ;)

Beloz

Dec 7, 2014
Thankyou

I read lots on this forum, but I signed up just so I could say thank you so very, very much for this post! I spent about 12 hours straight trying to get the fastboot driver to work for my HTC Sensation which I wanted to unlock and upgrade. I read lots and lots and lots of posts and tried out lots of suggested fixes but this was the only thing that worked and it was delightfully simple, even though I'd never made any changes to the registry before. I am forever in your debt!

Speedy83

Dec 10, 2014
Been wanting to update my HTC One Mini and couldn't cause of this one fastboot fix, thanks so much!!!

hundeva

Aug 18, 2012
I know there are multiple fixes out there for getting Windows 8.1 to detect HTC phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD processor and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of PCs. It worked for me on my computer with Windows 8.1 x64, Intel processor, and USB 2.0. I have a S4 One S; I'm not sure if this works with S3.

This is a repost of a thread by @izi501 in the Wildfire S forums; I just wanted to help spread the word. Credit goes to Auth from 4PDA and @niks255.

The issue has something to do with the BOS descriptor in Windows 8.1. It has been fixed in update rollup 2967917.

Instructions:
  1. Install update rollup 2967917 for Windows 8.1
    • To check if you have the update installed already, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > type "KB2967917" in the search box.
    • If you don't have the update installed, open Windows Update to install it.

2. Download the attached file Fastboot.reg.txt and change the extension to Fastboot.reg.

3. Right click on the Start button and choose Command Prompt (admin). Then type "regedit" and press enter.

That should be it; Windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! This will probably be one of my last posts here. I needed this fix to restore to stock, since I just sold my phone (I've moved on to the OnePlus One). Thanks to all the devs out there that have made the HTC One S so great!

After hours of researching on how the f*ck I can make fastboot work for my old Desire S, this did the trick. A million and more thanks for you. :)

vertycall

Jan 13, 2015
Man, I wish I have found your post 3h ago :)) Thanks to your reg file now I have fastboot working on Win 8.1
Respect, dr3amsINdigital !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know there are multiple fixes out there for getting Windows 8.1 to detect HTC phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD processor and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of PCs and HTC phones. It worked for me on my computer with Windows 8.1 x64, Intel processor, and USB 2.0.

Instructions:
    1. Install update rollup 2967917 for Windows 8.1.
    - To check if you have the update installed already, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > type "KB2967917" in the search box.
    - If you don't have the update installed, open Windows Update to install it.​

That should be it; Windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! :)
    Thanks a ton for this.

Now I know how to fix RUU error 171 on Windows 10x64 easily :D

This is brilliant. Could have found this two years earlier. *Facepalm*

System: Win 10 Redstone (1607) x64 with Intel based USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports.

Steps I took:
    - Sync Manager from HTC Website (current 4.17.0.001 driver)
    - Imported Reg-File from Post #1
    - Reboot

Done!
    For Windows 10, Other devices, and those who are still unsure

If you are still unsure, the registry edit should do the trick even with Windows 10. However, if it is not working, you may have to modify it. It might be because of a different version of the device, or a different handset.

In my case it is because I'm trying to do this on a HTC Legend (don't ask, it's a project) and on Windows 10.

To do this, find your device in device manager. (type devmgmt.msc into "run" or search device manager in start). Right click and select properties. Go to the details tab at the top. Select "Hardware IDs" from the property list. You will see a series of numbers. E.g. VID_0BB4, that matches the "0BB4" in the registry file provided (edit with notepad). Once you have found your device ID, you can add the binary value manually to that usbflag key.

In my case I had to alter the registry file simply to 0BB40FFF0100, which already existed in regedit. Simply add the binary value or edit the registry file and double click it to merge with the registry.

Hope this is useful.
    Works on Windows Technical Preview as well!!:D:D
    Confirmed the regitry fix works on Windows 10 x64 too.