Thinking of buying a Touch Pad; Got a question

Search This thread

porfymartinez

Feb 24, 2011
San Jon
www.twitter.com
The owner already has cornerstone flashed.

Is android pretty reliable operation on a touch pad? Like, would I be able to tell the difference in every day use (games, Facebook, etc.)

Also, what's the resale value of these? I want a Galaxy Tab 10.1 or a Xoom but someone offered me a good deal on it so if I don't like it, I want to sell it for a 10.1 or Xoom.

Wanting some of your personal insight on these concerns. Thanks! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

wpra3

May 29, 2011
Melbourne
Issues on CM9 so far:
No camera
No mic
Sound is unstable (sometimes it produce noise, restart app usually work)
Overdriven amp when touchpad switched off (cracking sound)
Some say wifi, no problem for me
Most Gameloft games doesn't work
GTA III no sound for me

Other than that its a perfect tablet for its price/spec ratio. And CM9 is pretty stable, no force closes (unless for those app that is really incompatible).

Resale value? You kidding me? it was 149 i think for the 32gb version, its been 5 months and if i say i want to sell it for 200 everyone will just queue. Its really depend on how cheap can you get it.

In fact I'm using it everyday for uni, and never face any problem or unreliability issue, and it is in fact faster than asus transformer (not the prime).

NikeGolfer

May 22, 2011

Is android pretty reliable operation on a touch pad? Like, would I be able to tell the difference in every day use (games, Facebook, etc.)

Also, what's the resale value of these? I want a Galaxy Tab 10.1 or a Xoom but someone offered me a good deal on it so if I don't like it, I want to sell it for a 10.1 or Xoom.

I have owned both a TouchPad and a Xoom. As much as I love my TouchPad, at this very moment and both devices being at their current levels of ICS development, I'd have to say the Xoom has a slight edge.

I begrudingly gave my Xoom to my wife when Android 4.0 first appeared for the TouchPad, and she hasn't come back to me once with any significant issues (and she's not a big "techie" sort of person); she absolutely loves it. So to address your reliability question...from my experience, the Xoom is by far more reliable. If you wish to read on....hear are my 2 cents:

Motorola Xoom:
1) Fully developed ICS rom with working camera, mic, and facelock
2) Wifi is rock solid (have not experienced even one lapse in connectivity)
3) Cornerstone rom is available (at least it was at one time)
4) SD memory card expansion capability

HP TouchPad
1) Less expensive (normally)
2) Video playback
3) WebOs option
4) Vastly superior screen quality
5) (I prefer) the 9.7" dimensions of the TP over the 10.1" of the Xoom

Takeaways: I'm not a big gaming person, so I can't speak on gaming performance on either device. My only real issues with the Xoom were the inability to play many of my music videos and its subpar display/video quality when it did play. Some will argue that either the camera/mic functionality are insignificant and/or you could reboot into WebOs to use them, but that doesn't hold water with me. It's something about having total functionality in one place (even if I don't use all of the features regularly) that makes the Xoom more appealing. As far as using the WebOS camera, there's always that issue of having to wrangle with your wifi/router settings to restore connectivity when you have to reboot to Android ICS/CM9 because WebOS is so limited in what you can do on that platform.

Bottomline: Basically if you were only going to buy one device today, I'd have to reluctantly recommend the Xoom over the TouchPad. However if anyone ever solves the wifi, camera, and mic issues with the TouchPad, then game over...the TouchPad would win hands down.

One last note: I really enjoy the Cornerstone functionality on my TP, but I'm currently on the AOKP Milestone 4 rom for more consistent wifi connectivity. However I experienced my one (and to this point) only boot loop action on the milestone rom. So I'm more than likely only another wifi drop/boot loop away from going back to Cornerstone.

Reactions: mrtomaso

dung8604

Sep 8, 2010
I would say android on touchpad is 99% reliable. You may get a hiccup here and there, but IMO, its usually not a big deal.

Reactions: mrtomaso

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have owned both a TouchPad and a Xoom. As much as I love my TouchPad, at this very moment and both devices being at their current levels of ICS development, I'd have to say the Xoom has a slight edge.

I begrudingly gave my Xoom to my wife when Android 4.0 first appeared for the TouchPad, and she hasn't come back to me once with any significant issues (and she's not a big "techie" sort of person); she absolutely loves it. So to address your reliability question...from my experience, the Xoom is by far more reliable. If you wish to read on....hear are my 2 cents:

Motorola Xoom:
    1) Fully developed ICS rom with working camera, mic, and facelock
    2) Wifi is rock solid (have not experienced even one lapse in connectivity)
    3) Cornerstone rom is available (at least it was at one time)
    4) SD memory card expansion capability

HP TouchPad
    1) Less expensive (normally)
    2) Video playback
    3) WebOs option
    4) Vastly superior screen quality
    5) (I prefer) the 9.7" dimensions of the TP over the 10.1" of the Xoom

Takeaways: I'm not a big gaming person, so I can't speak on gaming performance on either device. My only real issues with the Xoom were the inability to play many of my music videos and its subpar display/video quality when it did play. Some will argue that either the camera/mic functionality are insignificant and/or you could reboot into WebOs to use them, but that doesn't hold water with me. It's something about having total functionality in one place (even if I don't use all of the features regularly) that makes the Xoom more appealing. As far as using the WebOS camera, there's always that issue of having to wrangle with your wifi/router settings to restore connectivity when you have to reboot to Android ICS/CM9 because WebOS is so limited in what you can do on that platform.

Bottomline: Basically if you were only going to buy one device today, I'd have to reluctantly recommend the Xoom over the TouchPad. However if anyone ever solves the wifi, camera, and mic issues with the TouchPad, then game over...the TouchPad would win hands down.

One last note: I really enjoy the Cornerstone functionality on my TP, but I'm currently on the AOKP Milestone 4 rom for more consistent wifi connectivity. However I experienced my one (and to this point) only boot loop action on the milestone rom. So I'm more than likely only another wifi drop/boot loop away from going back to Cornerstone.
    I would say android on touchpad is 99% reliable. You may get a hiccup here and there, but IMO, its usually not a big deal.