"There will be no specific updates coming for the HTC One X to improve battery"

Search This thread

Techimplant

Mar 14, 2012
Delhi
I don't know what's wrong with you people..I am using this beauty for 3 days now..no issue..battery lasts a full day with average to slightly heavy use..no issues there too..
I have set my brightness to auto..that's it..no other tweaks..n I am happy..so stop cribbing people..
This is the best phone money can buy right now..
N u can always go back to that cheap looking Samsung if u aren't happy..

Sent from my Stunning White HTC One X

hardcoil

Jul 10, 2008
Yeah, I agree. I got mine the other day, and haven't really used it much (haven't been home and number isn't ported). I played a bit of games on it yestoday and installed the 1.28 ATO. Right now I have 28% left after more than 34 hours of running on battery. Granted, the phone have been idle most of the time, but is shows that powermanagement may actually work, and once we stop playing with these things all the time, they'll probably be fine :)

darkoroje

May 5, 2008
Google Pixel 6
The phone usually has 2 and half hours of on-screen time, maybe 3 hours max. I don't see how anybody can consider that as good. It is substantially worse than Galaxy S II I had before.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
It is a bit :D

I was just wondering if you have to be in range of you home router, why do you watch your movies, ect on a tiny 4.7" screen instead of a large normal TV or Notebook, Tablet Ect.

When you copy the movies ect to your HOX, you can watch them anywhere, when you don't have access to the above.

It`s just that you were questioning why people copy movies/music ect to their HOX when they can stream it.

John.

Is this a trick question lol?

Either way I use emit app for most streaming, tis the best I've found for android so far, lots of alternatives around though.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
The phone usually has 2 and half hours of on-screen time, maybe 3 hours max. I don't see how anybody can consider that as good. It is substantially worse than Galaxy S II I had before.

Really? Sucks for you...I regularly get above 3 & a half. Nearly getting 4

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
It is a bit :D

I was just wondering if you have to be in range of you home router, why do you watch your movies, ect on a tiny 4.7" screen instead of a large normal TV or Notebook, Tablet Ect.

When you copy the movies ect to your HOX, you can watch them anywhere, when you don't have access to the above.

It`s just that you were questioning why people copy movies/music ect to their HOX when they can stream it.

John.

Ahhh I see your point, although I do it over 3g, works perfectly, so often ill be in my car on lunch break at work for instance, can watch my PCs content, obviously can't take the pc with me, don't have a laptop, mainly because my phone does all the functions of a laptop, I have about 6tb of stuff as well so I'd just end up copying it to the laptop or somewhere else, so for me streaming is the best solution :) love it, and gotta say, this phone is fantastic for watching videos on.
If I was gonna be on a plane etc without internet, then the 32gb is plenty of space anyways, I only had an 8gb sd card before, so this is a huge improvement

Pendumonium

Apr 16, 2012
What bothers me is that while it might appear that the phone consumes close to no power during standby, when you actually start using it, the phone battery can drop by several percent in only two minutes.

Other than that, I am pleased with the battery life. I usually charge over night only, with moderate to heavy use, always Wifi/Data and around 3 hours of screen time.

jimmyb5374

Apr 15, 2012
Pretty much on the money.

The vast,vast majority of users who buy this will have ample power to last then a full day, which is all a smartphone should be doing tbh. How anyone wants a smartphone to last longer than a day is beyond me, simply wake up, use, go to bed, charge. Simples.

Heavy portable users should consider a power pack.

My main issue with this statement is i upgraded onto a 24 month contract , and i am getting around 11 hours use max with minor use / tinkering only, if i use little bits of youtube / internet i am getting at most 8 hours, my main complaint is not necessarily standby but longevity , how many users will be charging every day or more and will have crapped out batteries within 12 months , or at least even more reduced standby due to the technology starting to fail ?

Maybe not a big concern to the more well off "i must have the new phone every 6 months " type users, but what about us that need to / want to keep the handset longer ?

I can see a lot of htc repair issues / claims for knackered batteries that htc won't honour as a battery has a 6-12 month warranty as a consumable !

thats my issue

james

tsleng

Sep 14, 2011
Pretty much on the money.

The vast,vast majority of users who buy this will have ample power to last then a full day, which is all a smartphone should be doing tbh. How anyone wants a smartphone to last longer than a day is beyond me, simply wake up, use, go to bed, charge. Simples.

Heavy portable users should consider a power pack.

My main issue with this statement is i upgraded onto a 24 month contract , and i am getting around 11 hours use max with minor use / tinkering only, if i use little bits of youtube / internet i am getting at most 8 hours, my main complaint is not necessarily standby but longevity , how many users will be charging every day or more and will have crapped out batteries within 12 months , or at least even more reduced standby due to the technology starting to fail ?

Maybe not a big concern to the more well off "i must have the new phone every 6 months " type users, but what about us that need to / want to keep the handset longer ?

I can see a lot of htc repair issues / claims for knackered batteries that htc won't honour as a battery has a 6-12 month warranty as a consumable !

thats my issue

james

24 months is only 680 days. Li-pol/ion batteries these days are designed to last 1000 cycles with only about 15% loss in capacity.

That is calculated based on full charge-discharge. Partial charges will prolong the life.

Also, back on topic, I don't get why people are complaining about it needing a charge everyday? Just put it on charge before bed and job done.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I don't get why people are complaining about it needing a charge everyday? Just put it on charge before bed and job done.

For me, it's psychological. I had two back-up batteries for my SGS2 and I used one of them less than a dozen times over almost a year. But I knew it was there if I needed it. With the One X's battery sealed it's all or nothing. In reality I know it's not an issue (except maybe 12 times a year) but it still has me paying way too much attention to battery life. After nine days mine's definitely improving though.

jimmyb5374

Apr 15, 2012
24 months is only 680 days. Li-pol/ion batteries these days are designed to last 1000 cycles with only about 15% loss in capacity.

That is calculated based on full charge-discharge. Partial charges will prolong the life.

Also, back on topic, I don't get why people are complaining about it needing a charge everyday? Just put it on charge before bed and job done.

yeah i get your point, mine being 1000 charge cycles from NEW , eg no degradation through months of storage etc , and 1000 cycles from new , i have had the phone 10 days and must have honestly done about 25 partially empty to full charge cycles already .... so by that logic in 400 days out of 720 i will have done the 1000 cycles at least , and i have only just loaded videos on it now to watch on the train etc , so i am guessing around 2 charge cycles a day minimum if it draws as much juice as it does on video, with a 1 hour train either way watching an hour of video i will be down to around 30 % each trip .

All my point is reallly is that no one has looked from a longevity aspect yet , just how many charges they have to do each day etc.

james

tsleng

Sep 14, 2011
For me, it's psychological. I had two back-up batteries for my SGS2 and I used one of them less than a dozen times over almost a year. But I knew it was there if I needed it. With the One X's battery sealed it's all or nothing. In reality I know it's not an issue (except maybe 12 times a year) but it still has me paying way too much attention to battery life. After nine days mine's definitely improving though.

In that case, you just need a battery pack. Granted they are bigger than swappable batteries and are not a quick swap and forget but in your case, I think that will work well.

And Jimmy,

Partial charges are approx equivalent in % terms to full charges. So 2 charges from 50% > 100% is equal to 1 0% > 100% charge. If anything, it actually prolongs the life as they batteries are cycled less deeply. If HTC wanted, they could actually put in a big battery, say 2500mAh and only allow shallow cycling (maybe let us use 1500mAH only) and that battery will last ages.
This is what they do with batteries on hybrid cars and they achieve pretty good battery capacity even after 5 years.

Last edited:

farnsbarns

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
yeah i get your point, mine being 1000 charge cycles from NEW , eg no degradation through months of storage etc , and 1000 cycles from new , i have had the phone 10 days and must have honestly done about 25 partially empty to full charge cycles already .... so by that logic in 400 days out of 720 i will have done the 1000 cycles at least , and i have only just loaded videos on it now to watch on the train etc , so i am guessing around 2 charge cycles a day minimum if it draws as much juice as it does on video, with a 1 hour train either way watching an hour of video i will be down to around 30 % each trip .

All my point is really is that no one has looked from a longevity aspect yet , just how many charges they have to do each day etc.

james

I'm amazed people have this much time to play with their phone. Do you have a 3 hour commute or something?

Reactions: Eddzz!!

Ruudfood

Aug 1, 2008
"Play" is relative. Things like sending and receiving push e-mail, texting, reviewing and forwarding documents, managing an agenda, and voice calls all create a lot of screen on time. And screen on time is what kills the battery.

And screen on time can't be avoided. It is well known that the single biggest consumer of power in a phone or laptop is the backlight required to power the screen. This has always been the case. And the more pixels you have, the greater the number of lights thus the higher power consumption. It's an unavoidable fact of life.

Don't moan at HTC about it. They just use the tech that's out there. Blame the display manufacturers for not making their panels more power-efficient, the battery manufacturers for not coming up with new tech to increase capacity, or the chip manufacturers for not making the transistors smaller (although you have to admit Nvidia have done a reasonably good job in this department with the T3).

Then find your own solutions. ie. portable chargers - I'm sure they cost the same as (or even less than) a spare battery anyway.

farnsbarns

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
"Play" is relative. Things like sending and receiving push e-mail, texting, reviewing and forwarding documents, managing an agenda, and voice calls all create a lot of screen on time. And screen on time is what kills the battery.

Can't argue with that but as you can see, I was responding to jimmyb5374 who has done 25 charges in 10 days and all he's done is load and watch video. There may be a good reason for that but it's got to be unusual, must be 3 or 4 films a day.

Bottom line is this. There has to be a compromise between processing power, screen size, features, cost to produce and battery life. For me, with my requirements, the One X is a pretty good compromise, for others, maybe not, but the laws of physics ain't changing, battery technology is what it is (for now), as is screen and processor technology. Economic factors are what they are too. Maybe it is possible to make a powerhouse phone that'll last a week with heavy usage but not many people could afford it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gawwd why do people expect something with the resolution of a tv, and the same amount of cores of a high end pc, to not take much battery? I think its a bloody miracle these smartphones last longer than 5 minutes! As I've said before, you wouldn't expect a supercar to be economical?
    Plus, the battery is an improvement to my dhd , so that is another miracle, considering the extra horsepower behind the one x
    But then you're slow little 1.3 litre car wont have the performance of a supercar, so you're putting loads of effort in with little return. If a supercar followed your 1.3 litre car at the same speed, it would be under so little stress it would probably match your MPG!

But let's move on from cars... as you know, my point was progression is possible so long as 'good enough' isn't accepted. At the moment it seems to have been. Companies like HTC have huge resources at their disposal, if they took some of it away from the 'massive clockspeed please' department and put it to the battery life department, that'll be super.

The lots of effort with no return is true, you're absolutely right. This is the same as an old Nokia that takes 3 days to load one internet page, that would rinse the battery just as much as this phone loading the same page in 3 seconds. It's the battery at fault, and companies like HTC etc aren't the ones making the batteries so why do we expect them to? It's only a matter of time before the new type batteries come out, and then HTC won't have to change anything for these phones to last 2 weeks again.
    Lets just hope the battery labs get moving and have this released damn soon :)

Yeah but my flip phone with 2 inch display used to last three days. It didn't have all these apps and stuff running in the background. I hate how all these phones have all this functionality, it really sucks when doing computer type tasks it uses the battery. My old phone would take a really long time to connect and browse the Web which was really nice because I wouldn't want to use it and I would just use my computer and therefore use less battery. I can't wait until this fad is over so we can go back to when phones did a **** load less and we could save battery.

killing is my business, And business is good.
    Like some other members have said, what the hell do you expect when your buying one of, if not the fastest phone currently available on the market??? What i REALLY don't understand though is that under what i consider "normal usage" the One X lasts longer than my old DHD, in fact i don't think i've had a smartphone that lasts as long as the X does.
    I took mine off charge at 7:30 am on Thursday morning and with a mixture of Wi-Fi, 3G, texts, emails, calls, and an hour of gaming, it managed to get to about 11pm on the Friday night before the battery was drained to 5%, this is definitely more than i expected. I don't know what some peoples days are like but mine consists of 12 hours at work (max) and then home to where i'm surrounded by USB and power sockets so even if the battery only lasts 12 hours, it doesn't cause a problem. If i'm away travelling for a day or 2 i've usually got a bag of some sort so i simply carry a £25 rechargeable battery pack that is hardly any bigger than the phone, but can charge it 3 times.

I cant help but think these complaints about battery are simply from people that cant help but pick faults with everything, if you want a week from your phones battery than can i advise you get one of these ..

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/...e-Pay-Pay-As-You-Go-Mobile-Phone/Product.html

I have one as a backup that lives in my laptop bag, it actually lasts about 2 weeks on standby so maybe its a good option for some of you :D

All my point is really is that no one has looked from a longevity aspect yet , just how many charges they have to do each day etc.

james

I'm amazed people have this much time to play with their phone. Do you have a 3 hour commute or something?