[Q] Contacts Storage: Clear Data - Exactly what does this do?

Search This thread

DLCPhoto

Nov 12, 2009
www.dlcphoto.com
Context:
Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Stock ROM, Android 4.1.1.

When I check in Settings...Accounts...Google...

It shows a Sync Error for my account. At the bottom of the screen it says:

Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.

If I then click on my Account...MyName@gmail.com...

All of the entries are checked and properly synced, and up to date, except Contacts. It says 'Last Synced 4/20/2012..."

Despite this, Contact additions or edits that I make on my phone do in fact get synced to my other devices. And Contact additions or edits that I make elsewhere do get synced to my phone.

So, this appears to be a faulty error message. Since everything is working right, I'm reluctant to do anything major to try and clear the message, for fear of actually creating a functional problem. And yet, it bugs me that it's there.

One of the frequently suggested solutions is to go to Settings...Apps...Contacts Storage...

And once there, hit "Clear Data".

So my question is what exactly happens when "Clear Data" is hit? I want to eliminate the potential for inadvertently deleting my contacts overall, don't want to create new problems, etc., so would like a little more information about what this does or doesn't do.

And, if someone has any insight on another way to get rid of this message, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

yctan2020

Jan 22, 2013
Try this

Hi, i face the same problem. After few hrs search in Internet, I found a way to solve it, so far it works.

Go to Google Play and install this apps: Contacts Sync Fix

Run the apps

Go to setting, open Google account and try to sync again.

It should be OK then.

Hope it helps.

DLCPhoto

Nov 12, 2009
www.dlcphoto.com
Hi, i face the same problem. After few hrs search in Internet, I found a way to solve it, so far it works.

Go to Google Play and install this apps: Contacts Sync Fix

Run the apps

Go to setting, open Google account and try to sync again.

It should be OK then.

Hope it helps.

Very interesting! Looks like it just came out this month. This is an incredibly common problem, if you read Google's "support" forums, which I find hard to believe how this is such a core function of the whole Google enterprise.

I wonder what this App is doing behind the scenes, or actually how it does it. All of the reviews so far are very positive, although there are only 11 of them at this time. I'll probably monitor this for a bit, and then try it out.

Thanks!

DLCPhoto

Nov 12, 2009
www.dlcphoto.com
I exchanged a quick email with the Author, and went ahead and installed and ran the Contacts Sync Fix App. It identified a single problem, fixed it, and my error message is now gone, and sync continues to work fine. I went ahead and bought the ad-free version for $.99 - I have no idea if a problem will recur in the future, but I'll now be able to fix it. And besides, he fixed something Google has been unable or unwilling to do!

drheroperfect

Jul 1, 2011
This solved my same problem

Download contacts fix app from android play market

Context:
Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Stock ROM, Android 4.1.1.

When I check in Settings...Accounts...Google...

It shows a Sync Error for my account. At the bottom of the screen it says:

Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.

If I then click on my Account...MyName@gmail.com...

All of the entries are checked and properly synced, and up to date, except Contacts. It says 'Last Synced 4/20/2012..."

Despite this, Contact additions or edits that I make on my phone do in fact get synced to my other devices. And Contact additions or edits that I make elsewhere do get synced to my phone.

So, this appears to be a faulty error message. Since everything is working right, I'm reluctant to do anything major to try and clear the message, for fear of actually creating a functional problem. And yet, it bugs me that it's there.

One of the frequently suggested solutions is to go to Settings...Apps...Contacts Storage...

And once there, hit "Clear Data".

So my question is what exactly happens when "Clear Data" is hit? I want to eliminate the potential for inadvertently deleting my contacts overall, don't want to create new problems, etc., so would like a little more information about what this does or doesn't do.

And, if someone has any insight on another way to get rid of this message, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!