Battery life experience on ICS

Search This thread

jago25_98

Jul 17, 2007
Darn shame BetterBatteryStats ain't free (no credit card here... well, it's complicated...)
What's the free way to do it?

What we really need is for someone to do this with the different kernels on i9000:
http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ry-study-brings-about-surprising-conclusions/

Matrix kernel would be nice!

Which kernels do we feel are particular good on battery life? I'd be happy with a 30fps screen heck to save 10% battery!

For reference and a reminder, from NexusS research (bedalus did some fascinating work):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1478406 &page=1

#1 - With screen on, if the processor is Idle, 100MHz saves the most power.

#2 - Regardless of your choice of governor, even with extreme undervolting, you are not going to be able to increase your battery life by more than 2%. (Click here for explanation.)

For the instability introduced by UV, it seems a 2% increase in battery life isn't really worth it! REMEMBER rebooting uses so much power, a single one would more than undo any savings made by UV.

#3 - The most power saving governor is Ondemand. If you need a high performance governor, use smartassV2, which offers some battery savings.

#4 - This is one point that everyone ought to know, but I'm including because many people seem to believe in myths: if the screen is off, and the CPU is not active, neither deep idle nor UV will have any impact on battery life.

#5 - The matr1x kernel by mathkid95 mainly saves power through UV of the INT voltages. You may need to raise these if you have freezes/reboots with your phone (in addition to raising the ARM voltages). I found that a maximum of 1 mA can be saved through INT UV, regardless of whether the CPU becomes idle (or with screen off in deep idle), so this is a constant saving. However, it is a very small saving, and doesn't apply if the phone is asleep. Remember, reboots cost more juice than UV can ever save.

#6 - If you have an amoled display, black saves a great deal of power. After that, red. If you have a black and red theme, this is saving you power!

#7 - If you are determined to UV, I found that my phone would become unstable with UV settings that were fine when the battery was fully charged. So check what UV your phone can handle when your battery is nearly empty. Again I say: Because of the high likelyhood and massive battery drain that comes with a reboot, I highly recommend you DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UV. Also remember, even with extreme UV, you will not increase battery life more than 2%

#8 - I found that with bluetooth or GPS preventing the TOP=OFF state, there was no additional power saving from Deep Idle, i.e. the TOP=ON state does not save power.

#9 - Kernels with the 65 fps hack will cause the screen to drain about 10% more power compared to the usual 56 fps.

#10 - Conservative does not save power! For further details and exceptions, refer to my new thread: here. (ondemand is best)

#11 - This is just general advice: if you are having very poor battery life, have you tried turning auto brightness off? And if you've got no reception, you might as well be in airplane mode, because searching for reception also eats battery.

#12 - If your phone can't handle OC (or UV for that matter) it's because components in general are built to cost, which means factoring in tolerances, and every chip is made as cheaply as possible within the specified tolerances. Outside of those tolerances, whether your chip can cope or not is unfortunately down to the whether you got lucky with the individual device that dropped off the manufacturing line.

Last edited:

eshansinghiip

May 21, 2014
Same problem, Android OS n com.androi.systemui seems to be the culprit. The problem did not improve when on Safe Mode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I get Gingerbread drain overnight at about ~1% per hour maximum. No excuses anymore to stay on GB for "better" battery life. I hope this thread will allow others to achieve similar results.

This is on CM9 nightly 04-27 with devil kernel 0.77 and Nova Launcher.

I obtained this by optimizing system settings so the system uses as little battery, and using BetterBatteryStats to reduce unnecessary wakelocks. I also deleted all unneeded system apps. I've read through a couple of threads similar to this one, and this one. But I don't go to the extreme and put airplane mode at night. Just general smart phone usage I use my phone for.

I've put each setting in system with in mind to optimize battery life. This means no active sync, no Google Backup, short screen-off time, reduced brightness, UMTS only, 2G only (hardly use data as I have wifi at work and at home), no location services, rotation off and much more.

I also went through all the apps I have installed, to see if they cause any unneccesary wake locks. Superuser for one checks for outdated su binary, and creates logs. For me it's unneeded, and it uses system resource, so I disable them.

This battery cycle is with medium usage. 2 hours screen on time. Had a few phone calls, downloaded a few large files through Wifi, and had unnoticed BLN notification twice which causes my system to not sleep/drain battery more quick

The drop off at the end is 10 hours of battery statistics lost because of lock-up of system, because I re-enabled Wifi.

Here's a cycle with light usage, just usual checking of news apps, whatsapping and messing with phone, Wifi always on (even in advanced settings). 1 1/2 hour screen on time. Only difference in setting I disabled BLN, I also set a static wallpaper instead of moving wallpaper.

First @ 56% (yesterday)

BBS @ 56%

And today @39%:

With light usage I now get +3 days of usage. I'm baffled, and never expected this on ICS.

Devil specific kernel settings:
    I don't use selective OC, but Ï have set Wifi to PM_MAX (better batterie life)

Here's the text from the settings I use in NStools. My system is really fast and snappy when I use it.

# v1.16
    echo 1 > /sys/class/misc/deepidle/enabled
    echo 1 > /sys/class/misc/devil_idle/bus_limit_automatic
    echo 0 > /sys/class/misc/devil_idle/bus_limit_enable
    echo 1 > /sys/class/misc/touchwake/enabled
    echo 10000 > /sys/class/misc/touchwake/delay
    echo smartassV2 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 440000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/awake_ideal_freq
    echo 220000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/sleep_ideal_freq
    echo 440000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/sleep_wakeup_freq
    echo 80 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/min_cpu_load
    echo 95 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/max_cpu_load
    echo 400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/ramp_down_step
    echo 100000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/ramp_up_step
    echo 10000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/down_rate_us
    echo 30000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass/up_rate_us
    echo 240 > /sys/class/misc/notification/bl_timeout
    echo sio > /sys/block/mtdblock4/queue/scheduler
    echo sio > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler
    echo 800000 > /sys/class/misc/liveoc/oc_target_low
    echo 1400000 > /sys/class/misc/liveoc/oc_target_high
    echo 100 > /sys/class/misc/liveoc/oc_value
    echo 110000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo 1200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo 110 > /sys/class/misc/liveoc/oc_value

List of apps:

And I've recently applied the same settings to my girlfriend her SGS2 with CM9, and Siyah kernel, and her battery life has never been better as well. She was amazed, she never had this battery life on Gingerbread.

Drained battery with 4 hours screen on time:

With her usage she'd normally get 1 day maximum of battery life.

Anyone else shares this battery experience with me?

PS. And I haven't even tried inverted apps to display black instead of white, and I've yet to find a modem which gives me good reception at home in urban area, where I should get green signal. (Green signal in screenshots is when I am at work, it's denser urban area)
    I also haven't even applied any tweaks to build.prop to save even more battery.
    Neither was I on Devil 0.79,which has even more powersaving options then 0.77.
    Nice elaboration.

Yet I must object to a few points.

First off, you have to loosen up a little. Deleting unneeded apps, ok, but disabling sync, not using 3g etc... That doesn' t sound pretty smartphoney, does it?

Second, yes, battery life is great, yet deep sleep has nothing to do with it. Deep sleep (or deep idle, or didle) is only effective if you listen to music on your phone a lot. Its implications on battery life in daily normal usage are next to none. Mind you, less than none.

I never turn off my Wi - Fi or sync, brightness is at 60 percent, and i get an average of half an hour of talks a day, including viber talks, and i can still sqeeze two days of average battery life. Devil kernel has never been good for battery life for me, I see it as performance oriented.

My setup is the Tiramisu 1.9.5 rom,

MNICS 202LR kernel overclocked to 1128,

and the ZSJPG modem.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
    My battery life on ICS is just awesome! it's better the GB.. at least for me.
    i haven't seen much improvement from GB i still get a maximum of 10 hours (no mobile data or WiFi with just Music) and 5.5 hours(either WiFi or Mobile Data with Social Apps and Music) on ICS(Slim edition) without putting a charger

Note: no Talk time during these sessions
    Nice elaboration.

Yet I must object to a few points.

First off, you have to loosen up a little. Deleting unneeded apps, ok, but disabling sync, not using 3g etc... That doesn' t sound pretty smartphoney, does it?

Second, yes, battery life is great, yet deep sleep has nothing to do with it. Deep sleep (or deep idle, or didle) is only effective if you listen to music on your phone a lot. Its implications on battery life in daily normal usage are next to none. Mind you, less than none.

I never turn off my Wi - Fi or sync, brightness is at 60 percent, and i get an average of half an hour of talks a day, including viber talks, and i can still sqeeze two days of average battery life. Devil kernel has never been good for battery life for me, I see it as performance oriented.

My setup is the Tiramisu 1.9.5 rom,

MNICS 202LR kernel overclocked to 1128,

and the ZSJPG modem.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

You are wrong about deep idle. Your phone still has other processes running in background, other than you listen to music ;)

some info on didle: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297535