[Q] [Help]Sprint S4 Mini latest update root

Search This thread

NCTP2

Apr 5, 2010
North Carolina
I'm thinking if you don't run the zip then installing SU won't do a thing. The zip gets you root.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I disagree. The custom bootloader trips knox. SU in itself isnt root. It just gives SU control.

Try for yourself. Unroot, Install stock NA7. Then install bootloader. Install SU from sd card thru normal phone file explorer. Reboot. It will be rooted.
The bootloader gives root. SU allows you to control root permissions.

SuperSU doesnt work without root....that says it all.

Last edited:

albumleaf

Feb 2, 2011
I disagree. The custom bootloader trips knox. SU in itself isnt root. It just gives SU control.

Try for yourself. Unroot, Install stock NA7. Then install bootloader. Install SU from sd card thru normal phone file explorer. Reboot. It will be rooted.

Yep. This exactly.

There's really not enough documentation about this whole loading custom roms on this phone thing. You can definitely do it like any other phone, you just need to be aware that you're going to trip Knox. In my case since I'm buying bad ESN phones in the first place with no warranty, I don't care one bit.

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly

ideally you mean flashing the recovery is what gives you root, not flashing the zip with SU. At least for the terms of the two steps people are doing to get rooted and moving with this phone. Don't need to try. Just used to the flashing the zip in recovery to get root with some other phones. They're all a bit different. So flashing the recovery through odin gives you root, then yes, it makes sense you can install SU that way. You should also be able to install it from the play store as well, I would imagine.

Holhat

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle
You have to flash a custom Recovery via Odin. This will Trip KNOX to 0X1! Here is a link to the file.

Once you have flashed the recovery reboot into Recovery and install from ZIP. the zip file you need to flash is.

Once that is complete reboot and go to SuperSU App and Bam you are rooted.

I appreciate your help, I really do. I get the first part and know how to use the tar file in Odin but I don't get the second part, would you mind spelling it out for me?? :confused: I already bricked my phone once, thank G for the thread here on that, it saved my *** and my phone :victory:

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
She has a link to a zip file. You download it to the root of your internal storage (for simplicity's sake). You boot into recovery and "install from sdcard" and choose that zip file and run it.

Then reboot.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

She has a link to a zip file. You download it to the root of your internal storage (for simplicity's sake). You boot into recovery and "install from sdcard" and choose that zip file and run it.

Then reboot.

(you do the above after you odin)

Holhat

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle
Thank you! Thank you!

Then reboot.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

THANK YOU! I finally got it! Worked awesome! :victory: :highfive:

Reactions: dbpaddler

NavyBurch

May 2, 2014
You have to flash a custom Recovery via Odin. This will Trip KNOX to 0X1! Here is a link to the file. "Link"

Once you have flashed the recovery reboot into Recovery and install from ZIP. the zip file you need to flash is. "Link"

Once that is complete reboot and go to SuperSU App and Bam you are rooted.

What version of Odin should I used?

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
Read through the thread. Thi k I posted a link to one known to work. Others have mentioned it too. I forgot offhand. I have like five versions on my computer.

NavyBurch

May 2, 2014
Well I can get the recovery to show but when I select anything the screen just flashes. Does absolutely nothing and when I reboot the recovery goes back to stock -_-

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly

Are you doing a normal reboot after Odin then trying to go to recovery?

If so, uncheck reboot in Odin. When you get done flashing, pull the battery, reboot straight to recovery and flash the zip. Only thing I can think of if you tried run as admin, multiple downloads, computers, cables and so forth.

NavyBurch

May 2, 2014
Are you doing a normal reboot after Odin then trying to go to recovery?

If so, uncheck reboot in Odin. When you get done flashing, pull the battery, reboot straight to recovery and flash the zip. Only thing I can think of if you tried run as admin, multiple downloads, computers, cables and so forth.

I've tried that. The recovery just flashes when I try to select anything. It won't do anything at all. I have tried other CWM downloads and all do the same thing. I am on the SPH-L520 if that helps with anything.

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
We're all on the 520 here. Don't know why it's not working well. Seems like the variables have all been covered. The only thing I can think of is to ODIN stock NA7 and try from scratch.

Top Liked Posts