RELEASED: Root NT/16GB v1.4.x with Android Market access

Search This thread

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Please notice that this is a minimal rooting procedure of the 1GB RAM / 16GB internal storage version only. It is not an end-user "kitchen sink" procedure, nor does it block future OTA updates from B&N. This procedure provides rooting. In addition, I include:
  1. The "su" binary (command-line interface), but not the "SuperSu" (recommended) or "Superuser" app. You can easily get either app from the Android Market; that has the advantage that you will get notified of updates!
  2. The "busybox" binary (common Linux command-line tools).
  3. The "sqlite3" binary (command-line interface to the SQLite library).
  4. A reference to a minimal set of "Gapps", including the Android Market (which is needed to easily proceed after rooting).
I don't solve problems that are unrelated to rooting, like "side-loading" (the installation of "unknown sources"; this is apparently a B&N v1.4.x issue). There are possible solutions to such issues elsewhere on these forums.

Here is the procedure: http://www.mailpen.com/download/NT16-1.4.x-Root_1.07.zip (1.1MB)

Unzip the file onto your (Windows or Linux) PC (everything is in the "rooting" subdirectory), and view the ReadMe.txt file. Note that I may occasionally make minor revisions to the ReadMe.txt file without changing the version number of the .ZIP file, but any procedural improvements will result in a new version number.

Caveats:
  1. Don't use this procedure on the 512MB RAM / 8GB internal storage version !!!
  2. You must have a sense of total personal responsibility (ie, there is no warranty).
  3. You must understand command-line operations and utilities in Linux and Windows. In particular, that means you should ALREADY know how to cut lines from the ReadMe.txt file document and paste them into the command line for your PC (in order to save typing and mistakes).
  4. You must have a basic understand how the Nook Tablet works. That means, don't try to root it within 24 hours of getting it; you need to know how to navigate the device and its settings.
  5. You must have ALREADY installed on your PC, a command-line version of ADB that has ALREADY established an ADB/USB connection to your Nook Tablet. The XDA-developers forum has plenty of help and expertise in this area. Although this procedure does not use QtADB (a GUI add-on to ADB), I heartily recommend it: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/qtadb-adb-android-debug-bridge-beginners-gui/
  6. You must be willing (and know how), if all else fails, to revert to stock B&N v1.4.x unrooted.
  7. Questions or comments that reveal a sense of entitlement (eg, "when are you going to do xxx", as opposed to "are you going to do xxx") will be ignored or worse.
  8. Questions or comments that copy most or all of the contents of this message (lack of forum protocol) will be ignored or worse. Note that copying the link above in a message is really, really dumb, as I will be changing it with revisions.

Remaining issues (hopefully eventually resolved):
  1. If you use the "n" button to access the Nook-specific screens, you may find that it is not obvious how to get back to the Zeam (or other) launcher. You can get back to the Android launcher by using the Nook "Search" screen to search for the name ("Zeam" in this case) of the launcher (this is what I do for the very few times I need to), or you can side-load and install the "HomeCatcher" application (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1357175).
  2. For sideloading, you can either use ADB (that's what I do), QtADB (see above), or you can install a newer copy of "NT Hidden Settings" (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1400615). If the latter does not work, contact the author of that app, not me (I rarely use sideloading); that is his area of expertise.

Revision history:
  • 2011-12-27 v0.1 EXPERIMENTAL: Original (experimental).
  • 2011-12-28 v0.2 EXPERIMENTAL: Added missing zergRush.
  • 2011-12-28 v0.3 BETA: Fixed missing "/". Extensive ReadMe.txt (manual procedure) revisions.
  • 2011-12-29 v0.4 BETA: Added scripts (beta) for a semi-automated approach. The manual procedure is now documented in "ReadMe.old".
  • 2011-12-29 v0.5 BETA: Updated to include new "Nt Hidden Settings" app. Cosmetic revisions to file "ReadMe.old". Text files (including scripts) converted to DOS format for Windows weenies ... :)
  • 2011-12-30 v0.6 BETA: Script files split and updated to reflect testing results. File "ReadMe.txt" updated, file "ReadMe.old" removed.
  • 2011-12-31 v0.7 BETA: Script files split, so that rooting v1.4.0 is separate. This allows those who have already rooted 1.4.0, to skip that step and proceed directly to upgrading to v1.4.1 while preserving root.
  • 2011-12-31 v0.8 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Error in script file "AdbUpdate.cmd" fixed.
  • 2012-01-01 v0.9 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Split the script file "AdbUpdate.cmd" (and updated "ReadMe.txt") to support those who are already rooted v1.4.0. Due to the variation in v1.4.0 rooting procedures by others, this latter option is experimental. That means you are on your own if you don't start with (or revert to) a stock (unrooted) v1.4.0.
  • 2012-01-02 v0.10 (skipped to avoid confusion).
  • 2012-01-02 v0.11 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Convert the script files back to Unix text file format (they now run on Linux as well as Windows).
  • 2012-01-05 v0.12 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Minor script simplifications.
  • 2012-01-08 v1.00 RELEASED: Minor "ReadMe.txt" additions.
  • 2012-01-13 v1.01 RELEASED: Added "busybox" installation.
  • 2012-01-16 v1.02 RELEASED: Fixed typo in script comment; other cosmetic changes.
  • 2012-01-31 v1.03 RELEASED: Added options for installing/fixing Google Calendar, and other (minor) options.
  • 2012-02-21 v1.04 RELEASED: Added support for rooting B&N v1.4.2.
  • 2012-03-12 v1.05 RELEASED: Work around ADB command line parsing bug.
  • 2012-06-27 v1.06 RELEASED: Added support for rooting B&N v1.4.3.
  • 2013-01-03 v1.07 RELEASED: Bug fix: Forgot to add new files referenced in updated scripts!

You may copy my work into other works, but please give credit. Similarly, let me know if I have not given adequate credit for the work of others.

Notes:
  • Don't use this procedure on the 512MB RAM / 8GB internal storage version !!! The problem is not with this procedure per se, but with the fact that reverting to v1.4.0 will install boot software that assumes that your NT has 1GB of RAM.
  • There is now a general/universal capability for "sidebooting" an NT from an SDcard (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1466583 ), that is virtually guaranteed to work with all future revisions of NT firmware from B&N. While my procedure above is well-tested by me (and it's what I use), those having problems with it, may be well-advised to try the bootable SDcard solution.

Last edited:

nooknut

Nov 29, 2011
san francisco
Not to be overly dense, but I assume this would allow side loading as well. It's not clear if this root simply re-enables the "simple" side loading we currently enjoy in 1.4.0.

DipDog3

Dec 28, 2011
Still requires downgrade to 1.4.0 first...

I was really hoping this would root 1.4.1 directly, but it looks like from the instructions that I still need to downgrade to 1.4.0 first.

Are there any changes in 1.4.1 that makes it advantageous over 1.4.0?

gsoriano

Dec 28, 2011
Congrats on this breakthru !

Question: I have a rooted NT that was upgraded to 1.4.1 after rooting. Could I start your procedure from step 6, that is Root of 1.4.1 after upgrade ?

Regards,

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I was really hoping this would root 1.4.1 directly, but it looks like from the instructions that I still need to downgrade to 1.4.0 first.

Are there any changes in 1.4.1 that makes it advantageous over 1.4.0?
Yes, you need to be on 1.4.0 first.

See the B&N forums for some discussions of the differences. Over 100 files were changed in the update, and some bugs that were important to some were fixed.

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
so its not really a 1.4.1 hack, it's a 1.4.0 upgrade hack.

Dean, may I make a suggestion? place all binaries into a separate folder in the zip file...

Windows:
Code:
cd \location\of\my\files
adb push .\separateFolder /data/local/tmp
adb remount
linux/mac:
Code:
cd /location/of/my/files
adb push ./separateFolder /data/local/tmp
adb remount

and in that separate folder you can have a script
Code:
#! /bin/sh
cd  /data/local/tmp
chmod 755  zergRush
./zergRush
cat /data/local/tmp/su.upd > /system/bin/su
chmod 6755  /system/bin/su
cat /data/local/tmp/local.prop  >/data/local.save
cat /data/local/local.root  >/data/local.proprm 

#blabla---- put as much crap here as you can without rebooting.
exit 0

which will be executed with
Code:
adb shell
/data/local/tmp/script.sh

I'm suggesting this because even myself, a very experienced linux vet... I would never go through that whole procedure more than once.

Last edited:

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Have to start over.

Congrats on this breakthru !

Question: I have a rooted NT that was upgraded to 1.4.1 after rooting. Could I start your procedure from step 6, that is Root of 1.4.1 after upgrade ?
Unless you did something similar to that in step 5, you lost root. Step 5 is the key to keeping root.

Sorry! I got to the same point as you (without root), and had to go back to step 3.

mfleigle

Oct 10, 2009
I keep getting this error when doing step (adb push nooktablet_1_4_1_update.zip /media):

failed to copy 'nooktablet_1_4_1_update.zip' to '/media': Is a directory

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Scripting ...

So its not really a 1.4.1 hack, it's a 1.4.0 upgrade hack.
Yep, just like for a lot of Android devices (eg, my Droid, my Acer A500 ...), where you have to revert to an easily hackable version first, and then upgrade.

... I'm suggesting this because even myself, a very experienced linux vet... I would never go through that whole procedure more than once.
Gee; I've gone through it several times :), cutting and pasting one line at a time from the ReadMe.txt file to the command line ... Actually, it's pretty quick if you do that, but I am looking at better ways to script it. However, I'd like to see some others run through the procedure (where they can see the consequences of individual commands if there are problems) before I "automate" it.

Notes:
  1. While Microsoft has never advertized it, their C/C++ compiler libraries have from the beginning supported both "/" and "\" as a path separator on Windows. A quick test of ADB supports that as well. So, it may be possible to create just one set of scripts (note that running zergRush drops the ADB shell connection).
  2. I use individual "adb push" statements for the files, because that preserves the date/time of the original file (I DESPISE the use of "cat" to copy files for this reason). I know using "cat" is a common Android script practice, but it makes it very difficult to determine the age of installed files (WHEN they were installed is not of interest to me). Of course, either usage is easily scriptable.

Last edited:

mfleigle

Oct 10, 2009
I used B&N's method. Copying the zip to "MyNook" from: barnesandnoble.c om/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Tablet/379003187

And You might want to change the wording of step 6.5. I thought you mean to unzip using the cmd window. I ended up using the apks from nookandzergy and modifying its script to install Gapps

Last edited:

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Requirement 1.2

I used B&N's method. Copying the zip to "MyNook" from: barnesandnoble.c om/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Tablet/379003187

And step 6.5 I get: 'unzip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
OK, you have to have unzip on your computer or an equivalent unzip program. While "unzip" is not included in Windows distributions, it's an almost universally available program (you can use a GUI version to accomplish the same thing).

Last edited:

mfleigle

Oct 10, 2009
OK, you have to have unzip on your computer or an equivalent unzip program. While "unzip" is not included in Windows distributions, it's an almost universally available program (you can use a GUI version to accomplish the same thing.

I updated my earlier post, since I relized after posting that that step was for linux. Thanks for the instructions. I am now on a rooted 1.4.1, lol

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Im sorry is this method for windows or linux? being 1.4.1 i suppose that still have all the fixes? can someone confirm no strange behavior with apps, fc's?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please notice that this is a minimal rooting procedure of the 1GB RAM / 16GB internal storage version only. It is not an end-user "kitchen sink" procedure, nor does it block future OTA updates from B&N. This procedure provides rooting. In addition, I include:
    1. The "su" binary (command-line interface), but not the "SuperSu" (recommended) or "Superuser" app. You can easily get either app from the Android Market; that has the advantage that you will get notified of updates!
    2. The "busybox" binary (common Linux command-line tools).
    3. The "sqlite3" binary (command-line interface to the SQLite library).
    4. A reference to a minimal set of "Gapps", including the Android Market (which is needed to easily proceed after rooting).
    I don't solve problems that are unrelated to rooting, like "side-loading" (the installation of "unknown sources"; this is apparently a B&N v1.4.x issue). There are possible solutions to such issues elsewhere on these forums.

Here is the procedure: http://www.mailpen.com/download/NT16-1.4.x-Root_1.07.zip (1.1MB)

Unzip the file onto your (Windows or Linux) PC (everything is in the "rooting" subdirectory), and view the ReadMe.txt file. Note that I may occasionally make minor revisions to the ReadMe.txt file without changing the version number of the .ZIP file, but any procedural improvements will result in a new version number.

Caveats:
    1. Don't use this procedure on the 512MB RAM / 8GB internal storage version !!!
    2. You must have a sense of total personal responsibility (ie, there is no warranty).
    3. You must understand command-line operations and utilities in Linux and Windows. In particular, that means you should ALREADY know how to cut lines from the ReadMe.txt file document and paste them into the command line for your PC (in order to save typing and mistakes).
    4. You must have a basic understand how the Nook Tablet works. That means, don't try to root it within 24 hours of getting it; you need to know how to navigate the device and its settings.
    5. You must have ALREADY installed on your PC, a command-line version of ADB that has ALREADY established an ADB/USB connection to your Nook Tablet. The XDA-developers forum has plenty of help and expertise in this area. Although this procedure does not use QtADB (a GUI add-on to ADB), I heartily recommend it: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/qtadb-adb-android-debug-bridge-beginners-gui/
    6. You must be willing (and know how), if all else fails, to revert to stock B&N v1.4.x unrooted.
    7. Questions or comments that reveal a sense of entitlement (eg, "when are you going to do xxx", as opposed to "are you going to do xxx") will be ignored or worse.
    8. Questions or comments that copy most or all of the contents of this message (lack of forum protocol) will be ignored or worse. Note that copying the link above in a message is really, really dumb, as I will be changing it with revisions.

Remaining issues (hopefully eventually resolved):
    1. If you use the "n" button to access the Nook-specific screens, you may find that it is not obvious how to get back to the Zeam (or other) launcher. You can get back to the Android launcher by using the Nook "Search" screen to search for the name ("Zeam" in this case) of the launcher (this is what I do for the very few times I need to), or you can side-load and install the "HomeCatcher" application (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1357175).
    2. For sideloading, you can either use ADB (that's what I do), QtADB (see above), or you can install a newer copy of "NT Hidden Settings" (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1400615). If the latter does not work, contact the author of that app, not me (I rarely use sideloading); that is his area of expertise.

Revision history:
    • 2011-12-27 v0.1 EXPERIMENTAL: Original (experimental).
    • 2011-12-28 v0.2 EXPERIMENTAL: Added missing zergRush.
    • 2011-12-28 v0.3 BETA: Fixed missing "/". Extensive ReadMe.txt (manual procedure) revisions.
    • 2011-12-29 v0.4 BETA: Added scripts (beta) for a semi-automated approach. The manual procedure is now documented in "ReadMe.old".
    • 2011-12-29 v0.5 BETA: Updated to include new "Nt Hidden Settings" app. Cosmetic revisions to file "ReadMe.old". Text files (including scripts) converted to DOS format for Windows weenies ... :)
    • 2011-12-30 v0.6 BETA: Script files split and updated to reflect testing results. File "ReadMe.txt" updated, file "ReadMe.old" removed.
    • 2011-12-31 v0.7 BETA: Script files split, so that rooting v1.4.0 is separate. This allows those who have already rooted 1.4.0, to skip that step and proceed directly to upgrading to v1.4.1 while preserving root.
    • 2011-12-31 v0.8 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Error in script file "AdbUpdate.cmd" fixed.
    • 2012-01-01 v0.9 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Split the script file "AdbUpdate.cmd" (and updated "ReadMe.txt") to support those who are already rooted v1.4.0. Due to the variation in v1.4.0 rooting procedures by others, this latter option is experimental. That means you are on your own if you don't start with (or revert to) a stock (unrooted) v1.4.0.
    • 2012-01-02 v0.10 (skipped to avoid confusion).
    • 2012-01-02 v0.11 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Convert the script files back to Unix text file format (they now run on Linux as well as Windows).
    • 2012-01-05 v0.12 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Minor script simplifications.
    • 2012-01-08 v1.00 RELEASED: Minor "ReadMe.txt" additions.
    • 2012-01-13 v1.01 RELEASED: Added "busybox" installation.
    • 2012-01-16 v1.02 RELEASED: Fixed typo in script comment; other cosmetic changes.
    • 2012-01-31 v1.03 RELEASED: Added options for installing/fixing Google Calendar, and other (minor) options.
    • 2012-02-21 v1.04 RELEASED: Added support for rooting B&N v1.4.2.
    • 2012-03-12 v1.05 RELEASED: Work around ADB command line parsing bug.
    • 2012-06-27 v1.06 RELEASED: Added support for rooting B&N v1.4.3.
    • 2013-01-03 v1.07 RELEASED: Bug fix: Forgot to add new files referenced in updated scripts!

You may copy my work into other works, but please give credit. Similarly, let me know if I have not given adequate credit for the work of others.

Notes:
    • Don't use this procedure on the 512MB RAM / 8GB internal storage version !!! The problem is not with this procedure per se, but with the fact that reverting to v1.4.0 will install boot software that assumes that your NT has 1GB of RAM.
    • There is now a general/universal capability for "sidebooting" an NT from an SDcard (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1466583 ), that is virtually guaranteed to work with all future revisions of NT firmware from B&N. While my procedure above is well-tested by me (and it's what I use), those having problems with it, may be well-advised to try the bootable SDcard solution.
    Back to the future

... Is there any solution on the horizon that would allow B&N updates (such as 1.4.1 and potential future 1.4.x) without needing to take the NT back to 1.4.0 and re-root every time?
    Yes.

It is my opinion (and the opinion of others) that B&N, due to contractural obligations w/ NetFlix, is seriously committed to preventing the rooting of the Nook Tablet. One evidence of this is the quickness (especially for B&N) that they brought out the 1.4.1 update.

So (since I presume that B&N development follows these forums fairly closely), I think you will understand if I do not reveal my plans for the future.
    New version !!!

Added missing file "zergRush" to .ZIP file (see OP); extensive revisions to ReadMe.txt.
    According to my screen trace, no, but I must have had something state dependent going on because the fourth time I tried it it worked (except that I hadn't deleted SetUpWizard.apk, heh, you really meant that one didn't you -- infinite loop of touch the Android for a nook that is not a phone...:). The fifth time it worked perfectly.

At any rate, I got very good at falling back to 1.4.0, clearing data (I'm guessing that this is what I failed to do cleanly enough), fixing or preventing the locking n problem, registering, etc. to get to tabula rasa for the install algorithm.

In the process, for my own purposes I went in and prettied up Readme.txt, fully documenting how to do the 1.4.0 fallback and enable a USB connection using NTHiddenSettings directly. I did not remove the step that installs it in the
    script (which then gives an ignorable error) but if you like the new Readme, you might do this. I suppose that you can't put acclaim_update.zip and the B&N zip into the package itself, but if you could that would really simplify life for the user, as the package would then be completely self contained.

Anyway, I have to go, but I'll mail you the modified Readme.txt later today so you can look at it. I really appreciate the help.

rgb
    As to OTA updates, I don't block them, so I'm not the best person to ask. Brian has an app that you can install to turn them off or on, but I haven't tried it.

As to splitting the 1.4.0 script: I wondered about having to do that (since prior to writing the scripts I did all the commands by hand (actually, by cut-&-paste from a listing of the file in another Window). However, I have re-tested the procedure, and ADB needs a few seconds to reconnect to the device at the point you mentioned.

So, I have followed your suggestion and split the first script into two (and tested it).

If you reboot after pushing out local.prop then reboot, all of the adb commands as written work. Until that is done, adb authenticate as shell and not as root so some of the command don't work. Shell does not have permission to write to /data/.