Lot's of questions. One at a time. One thread.

Search This thread

Bleezle

Jan 12, 2014
BSAS
I recently left the United States, and now my phone isn't working as smoothly as I would like it to. So, now I have lots of question. I also missed the 4.3 OTA update, not sure if I even really need it from the flyer I looked at on VZW website. First things first.

I arrived in Buenos Aires 2 weeks ago and signed up with a local service called Claro, got a chip, found APN's and was online. Pretty smooth. However, I was stuck on the Edge network. So, after almost 2 weeks of pulling hair out and searching on the web for the problem. I called VZW global services and they told me that Claro is who they use for there PRL (preferred roaming list) and that if I use Claro's service with my VZW phone I will be locked in Claro's Edge network and never get 3g or HSPA+. They told me to use a different service in Buenos Aires if I want to get 3g or HSPA+. So I cancelled the Claro service and went to the other companies and their plans totally suck. None of the plans here are really that good, but Claro had the best plan for me.

My first question for this thread is, if I root my phone will it remove VZW's PRL from my S3 and allow me to get Claro's 3g and HSPA+ connection, or is there a way to remove the PRL?

Please help me figure this stuff out. I'm seriously tired of digging through forums. I feel like I have been devoting so much of my energy to a silly phone. :cyclops:

Last edited:

vax1170

Feb 14, 2011
I don't think rooting the phone will get you anything new related to phone service, roaming, or priority access lists.

I don't know much about how PRL's work, but rooting your device might be the first step needed to tinker with embedded phone settings and flashing roms that might do what you need.

I found this: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-update-your-prl-your-cdma-device
may not apply to S3, but could be useful.

Bleezle

Jan 12, 2014
BSAS
I don't think rooting the phone will get you anything new related to phone service, roaming, or priority access lists.

I don't know much about how PRL's work, but rooting your device might be the first step needed to tinker with embedded phone settings and flashing roms that might do what you need.

I found this: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-update-your-prl-your-cdma-device
may not apply to S3, but could be useful.

Thanks for reply.

I did some reading on PRL's, so yeah, I don't want to mess with that stuff on my phone.

I went to another carrier here in the city and I'm stuck on the same network, Edge. Basically I'm back at the same place as before and I was fed some bull**** from VZW global support. So, I called VZW global support again got totally frickin' nowhere! I should of bought an AT&T phone I wouldn't have this problem right now. F@#k VZW, they sell a product and call it a "global phone" but then it has limitations in other countries, that's not f@#cking "global." God bless corporate America! So fed up with phones right now, I was so much happier with a flip phone.

Last edited: