[marmite] Android 7.1.1 TOS118C fastboot/recovery images

Search This thread

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
For those that didn't receive the update yet, I've requested the links to the Wileyfox nougat support team, so here you can download the incremental, recovery and fastboot images of the latest upgrade TOS118C.

RECOVERY IMAGE (2GB) (works neat in TWRP as well as in Cyanogen Recovery / does not necessarily require open bootloader)
FASTBOOT IMAGE (2GB) (requires open bootloader)
INCREMENTAL UPDATE (OFFICIAL) (DRIVE MIRROR LINK by me) (from TOS089A to TOS118C / from decf3a575d to aa4d5d86bc)

In the post below you can have some information on how to grab OTA links from the WileyFox BSP server. Have fun, and don't forget to debloat your system ;)

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
How to grab the official OTA from BSP's server

In the OP, I left a link to the official incremental update right from the OTA server (which I'll talk about a bit later). If you directly click it, it will return an Error 404, but that is not true since the file actually exists... But requires a special HTTP header to be visible.
Since I wanted to grab the OTA link now that, for once, I finally got an OTA in this phone after always upgrading through fastboot images, I used wireshark to determine the server where it fetches it and the full file route. It turns out the header sends a special UA string as you can see in the picture attached: rsotaua 1.0, which is, most probably, a randomly generated string.
Now here's the thing: if you want to switch the UA you'll need an extension to do so. I've used this one. As soon as it's installed, go to the Options of the extension and add it like here:
Code:
WILEYFOX    rsotaua 1.0    Chrome    Replace    WF
Once the string is inserted, switch to it and hit the URL. The OTA should be downloadable now.

... Or you can just wait til someone mirrors it, like I already did ;)

Lastly, as a side note, I'd also like to comment the following, regarding BSP:
Wileyfox's devices software is now in charge of this company, called BSP.ninja and that clearly defines themselves as a company to "launch an Android device without knowing where to start". It's said to be formed by former Cyanogen employees, or, at least Ricardo Cerqueira @aremcee (which btw, is also in charge of the Open Source code available in BitBucket for the Wileyfox devices), since he's the owner of the domain. In any case, what I want to say is that the code is being done quite possibly by the very same people that did the job at the now dead Cyanogen, so it shouldn't be a reason to worry. Also, it'd be awesome if the team released a working device tree so that the community could bring custom ROMs just like you (the team) used to do.

Attachments

• Spectacle.wZ9192.jpg
    Spectacle.wZ9192.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 3,016
Last edited:

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
So these two can be flashed on my rooted phone with unlocked bootloader and I don't have to wipe anything?

Correct. I'm preparing a new version of my debloater tool, and I'll briefly explain in it's thread how to move from TOS089A to TOS118C without losing anything in rooted and/or debloated devices. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Benjamin.fr

zerospaced

Feb 12, 2015
Well....I must say, that every "update" from Wileyfox shows me that it's the worst phone to update I've ever owned.
I can't proceed any update (OTA of course not, recovery via TWRP) on my rooted + some skin parts changed via substratum Swift 2 without wiping everything.

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
Well....I must say, that every "update" from Wileyfox shows me that it's the worst phone to update I've ever owned.
I can't proceed any update (OTA of course not, recovery via TWRP) on my rooted + some skin parts changed via substratum Swift 2 without wiping everything.

I also skin my phone through substratum (the default orange theme is disgusting), I use magisk and plenty of other tools both systemless or even require modifying the system partition (like Wileyfox debloater), and, using the instructions I wrote in this post here I've found no single problem upgrading my device from a debloated, rooted and themed TOS089A to TOS118C to then debloat, root and theme it again. It's true you will need to install your substratum themes again, but the rest should work perfect.

Buxbaum666

May 13, 2017
I've tried the recovery update on my Swift 2X but can't get it to boot. I have TWRP installed (3.1.0-0) and it's rooted via SuperSU. Do I have to unroot first?

Edit for more info: I did the OTA upgrade from the stock CyanogenOS ROM to 7.1.1 TOS089A. Then I installed TWRP and flashed SuperSU. The OTA to TOS118C predictably doesn't work. Flashing the recovery image via TWRP seems to go fine but I'm stuck at the white "Wileyfox powered by Android" screen. Tried wiping Cache/Dalvik but no dice.

Edit 2: flashing Magisk afterwards seems to make it work.

Last edited:

gaborkov9

May 15, 2017
I try to install the ZIP via TWRP and after the process ends the phone reboots but it remains stuck at the "WileyFox" white screen.
EDIT: I tried the fastboot one and it worked. Sometimes is hard to understand our devices :confused:

Last edited:

Buxbaum666

May 13, 2017
I'm guessing it's some kind of dm-verity issue? Flashing in TWRP worked for me when I flashed Magisk 12.0 afterwards, which seems to take care of dm-verity. Linuxct suggested installing Magisk in his debloat thread and I thought "what's the harm". Now I'm a happy camper.

gaborkov9

May 15, 2017
Yes indeed, it appears a dm-verity issue message. Actually, I managed to install 7.1 from fastboot, but then this flash restores the original recovery. If I try to install again TWRP it stuck again on the WileyFox white screen. I'll try installing Magisk.
Edit: flashed Magisk, all works. Awesome.

Last edited:

MCPoppa

Apr 27, 2011
Installed it via fastboot and now iam stuck in a bootloop :S
EDIT: Did a factory reset in recovery! Works now.

Last edited:

justinz

May 17, 2008
Swift 2 Plus on 13.1.5 Cyanogen. Which method is best to install Android 7.1.1 TOS118C manually. The phone is stock, not rooted. Thanks

image45

Nov 16, 2014
York
Yes indeed, it appears a dm-verity issue message. Actually, I managed to install 7.1 from fastboot, but then this flash restores the original recovery. If I try to install again TWRP it stuck again on the WileyFox white screen. I'll try installing Magisk.
Edit: flashed Magisk, all works. Awesome.

If you use the
Code:
 adb reboot "dm-verity enforcing"
can you remove the dm-verity menu on boot or do you need it left as after bootloader unlocked?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those that didn't receive the update yet, I've requested the links to the Wileyfox nougat support team, so here you can download the incremental, recovery and fastboot images of the latest upgrade TOS118C.

RECOVERY IMAGE (2GB) (works neat in TWRP as well as in Cyanogen Recovery / does not necessarily require open bootloader)
    FASTBOOT IMAGE (2GB) (requires open bootloader)
    INCREMENTAL UPDATE (OFFICIAL) (DRIVE MIRROR LINK by me) (from TOS089A to TOS118C / from decf3a575d to aa4d5d86bc)

In the post below you can have some information on how to grab OTA links from the WileyFox BSP server. Have fun, and don't forget to debloat your system ;)
    Wait is finally over))
    Android 8.1 OUS224B | OTA from TOS373J
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QDQ8ApSKTPJRH8Novfs12OCjbtLCalzo
    How to grab the official OTA from BSP's server

In the OP, I left a link to the official incremental update right from the OTA server (which I'll talk about a bit later). If you directly click it, it will return an Error 404, but that is not true since the file actually exists... But requires a special HTTP header to be visible.
    Since I wanted to grab the OTA link now that, for once, I finally got an OTA in this phone after always upgrading through fastboot images, I used wireshark to determine the server where it fetches it and the full file route. It turns out the header sends a special UA string as you can see in the picture attached: rsotaua 1.0, which is, most probably, a randomly generated string.
    Now here's the thing: if you want to switch the UA you'll need an extension to do so. I've used this one. As soon as it's installed, go to the Options of the extension and add it like here:
    Code:
    WILEYFOX    rsotaua 1.0    Chrome    Replace    WF
    Once the string is inserted, switch to it and hit the URL. The OTA should be downloadable now.

... Or you can just wait til someone mirrors it, like I already did ;)

Lastly, as a side note, I'd also like to comment the following, regarding BSP:
    Wileyfox's devices software is now in charge of this company, called BSP.ninja and that clearly defines themselves as a company to "launch an Android device without knowing where to start". It's said to be formed by former Cyanogen employees, or, at least Ricardo Cerqueira @aremcee (which btw, is also in charge of the Open Source code available in BitBucket for the Wileyfox devices), since he's the owner of the domain. In any case, what I want to say is that the code is being done quite possibly by the very same people that did the job at the now dead Cyanogen, so it shouldn't be a reason to worry. Also, it'd be awesome if the team released a working device tree so that the community could bring custom ROMs just like you (the team) used to do.
    So these two can be flashed on my rooted phone with unlocked bootloader and I don't have to wipe anything?

Correct. I'm preparing a new version of my debloater tool, and I'll briefly explain in it's thread how to move from TOS089A to TOS118C without losing anything in rooted and/or debloated devices. Stay tuned!
    Can upgrade to TOS373J by stock recovery from my firmware?Thank's a lot.
    First download and install TOS319I for recovery, then install ota TOS373J.