[Heimdall][Odin][Stock][Root]UCKH7/KK6 Return/Unbrick to Stock (or Root)

Search This thread

Haloruler64

Aug 11, 2010
Daly City
In the OP of this thread (at the very bottom of the OP) is a link to the latest Odin - I used this version of Odin earlier to flash codeworkx kernel to root

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1125282

Yes put in the pda slot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

Thank you, good sir! I shall regain my expertise soon thanks to helpful people like you!

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Now I can't find the drivers for the AT&T variant. Sorry :c any help?

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Thank you, good sir! I shall regain my expertise soon thanks to helpful people like you!

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Now I can't find the drivers for the AT&T variant. Sorry :c any help?

Try installing Kies maybe?

This is why I always flash from Linux. Heimdall Just Works - no drivers. :p

Edit: Actually I think when in download mode, the USB VID/PID for all GSIIs is the same.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Question, can we download Rom Manager and flash CWM recovery after flashing this with Heimdall?

No.

My experience with the Infuse (and it will probably remain the same with the GSII) is that ROM Manager recovery often has problems. ROM Manager caused all sorts of softbrick issues with the Infuse.

The way many Samsung phones work is such that the recovery partition does nothing - only the recovery in the kernel's initramfs matters. So the way to install CWM on a Samsung device (definitely the Infuse and AT&T GSII) is to flash a CWM-enabled kernel.

CWM is usually the first feature added to any custom kernel. Codeworkx's kernel includes CWM, I'll probably be posting a CWM-enabled kernel in a day or two.

If you want to, you can flash this system and codeworkx's zImage in one go - then you'll get CWM and root without needing to do the SuperOneClick steps.

abacon15

Aug 15, 2010
Jacksonville
Okay, I was trying to use this because I have a mac and therefore have to use heimdall, but I appreciate it. Heimdall on my comp didn't like the package anyway so that saved me some trouble, thanks!

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
CWM is usually the first feature added to any custom kernel. Codeworkx's kernel includes CWM, I'll probably be posting a CWM-enabled kernel in a day or two.

If you want to, you can flash this system and codeworkx's zImage in one go - then you'll get CWM and root without needing to do the SuperOneClick steps.

Nice. I was waiting to use mine to decide which method I wanted to use (and maybe wait on some ROMs to appear, but I may stick with stock rooted until someone makes an AOSP). This sounds good.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Okay, I was trying to use this because I have a mac and therefore have to use heimdall, but I appreciate it. Heimdall on my comp didn't like the package anyway so that saved me some trouble, thanks!

Which package?

Do you mean the heimdall frontend GUI? I have little experience with that - I always use the command line and included instructions for the commandline version of heimdall in the first post here. In fact, heimdall was tested on a Linux box before Odin was tested with these packages. :)

drewdatrip

Mar 2, 2011
Socal
Successfully just used Heindall Mac version to bring back my phone to stock. I did have to boot into e3 and factory reset, however all worked as expected!
Thanks again

Drew

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Just added a modem package - few people should need this right now but some people accidentally flashed I9100 ROMs that included modem packages.

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Arghh. Heimdall can't run on Lucid.... Guess I should go to oneric soon. excuse to get new mbp. If anyone knows how to resolve the libusb dep on lucid to get heimdall on it please let me know in the meantime.

dayv

Sep 7, 2010
What do you get a out put when you enter

Code:
sudo apt-get install libusb

into terminal?

Arghh. Heimdall can't run on Lucid.... Guess I should go to oneric soon. excuse to get new mbp. If anyone knows how to resolve the libusb dep on lucid to get heimdall on it please let me know in the meantime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Multiupload links removed - MU seems to be gone forever. I will repost an unrooted UCKH7 package in the next week along with a modem package - Until then, use the rooted package and then remove:
    /system/xbin/su
    /system/bin/su
    /system/app/Superuser.apk
    And then reboot

I have uploaded Heimdall/Odin flashable kernel ,rooted system, and modem images to dev-host. This should be sufficient to unbrick most hosed-up phones, as long as you didn't flash a bad .pit. Note that after flashing this, you might need to wipe data depending on what ROM you were coming from. If you bootloop or things behave wacky, enter 3e recovery (stock kernel means stock recovery) and do a Wipe Data/Factory Reset. If you are reverting from UCKK6 back to UCKH7 you MUST perform this step or wifi will not work. If you're coming from a 100% stock ROM and only using this to gain root, you should be able to keep all your data and not need to wipe.

The kernel is 100% bone stock, the system image is stock except that it is pre-rooted (su binary and Superuser.apk)

I am including the modem in a separate package since that goes in a separate modem slot, and I don't want to reupload a 200+ MB file if I don't have to.

The kernel + rooted UCKH7 system package is here: http://dev-host.org/UWm
    Kernel + cache + rooted UCKK6 system package: http://dev-host.org/8LA

Download, extract the package using 7-Zip, which can be downloaded from http://www.7-zip.org/download.html, then either:
    1) (Tested on Linux, should work on MacOS) - Extract the tar and flash the components with heimdall from the commandline as follows:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img
    for the kernel + system package, and:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --modem modem.bin
    for the modem package

I've never had good results with the Heimdall Frontend GUI.

2) (Tested by Jivy26 for kernel + system, untested for modem) - Flash the .tar in Odin. I'm a Linux user, so I have only tested this with Heimdall so far.
    Kernel + system package goes in PDA slot I believe, modem package in Phone slot.

If you are wondering why I used 7-Zip to compress the archive:
    7-Zip provides better compression ratios than Zip
    7-Zip is open source unlike RAR
    If it were a zip file, some doofus would probably think it was CWM-flashable and complain that it didn't flash.

Also - great thanks goes to Jivy26 for providing a stock /system dump. Without that it would not have been possible to make the system image or get a kernel dump.

Coming in the next few days - stock unrooted /system package.

Also just added - a param.lfs backup from my device. This is NOT contained in an Odin-flashable .tar file yet, I'll work on cleaning up my packages when I'm feeling better. I came down with a nasty cold a few days ago.

UPDATE:
    creepyncrawly has written an EXCELLENT step-by-step guide for flashing this with Odin. The guide is at:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313659

In addition, he posted an Odin-flashable tar package for just the stock kernel, for those who want to do a ! removal. I have mirrored the file (I don't trust Dropbox for long-term hosting) at http://www.multiupload.com/MD7SMMNG24 - his original post is at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18535109&postcount=174
    Odin3 One-click Downloaders for Stock and Stock + Root

I have prepared Odin3 One-click Downloaders for the Stock non-rooted and Stock + Root packages. Each One-click Downloader also contains the Modem. This will make flashing back to stock or flashing root in Windows easier. These were tested and flashed successfully on my device. These could be posted in the OP for convenience.

Odin3 One-click Downloader I-777 UCKH7 Stock No Bootloaders
    I777_UCKH7_OCD_No_BL.7z
    (This one-click downloader flashes: zImage, factoryfs.img, and modem.bin)

Odin3 One-click Downloader I-777 UCKH7 Stock + Root No Bootloaders
    I777_UCKH7_OCD_Root_No_BL.7z
    (This one-click downloader flashes: zImage, factoryfs.img with root, and modem.bin)

How to Use:
    • Download the 7 zip package. Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory on your hard disk drive.
    • Start the Odin3 One-Click Downloader program by double clicking on "I777UCKH7 OCD No BL.exe" or "I777UCKH7 OCD Root No BL.exe".
    • Now Enter Download Mode:
      • With the phone powered off, plug in the usb cable while holding the vol up + vol down buttons (but not the power button).
      • When the warning screen appears, press Volume up to continue into download mode.
    • In Odin, the small edit box in the upper left corner will turn yellow, and say something like [0:COM8]. The number could be different.
    • Click Start. Watch the progress bar advance in green while the message box in the lower area describes the steps. When the flash is finished, the top left larger edit box will turn green and say PASS! and your phone will automatically reboot.
    • Unplug the usb cable from you phone after it boots up. Success.
    Stock Kernel Flashable .tar

Here is the stock kernel, extracted from the stock unrooted package in the OP, in an Odin flashable .tar, (see Download Repository, link in sig)

Created the tar file in Android Terminal Emulator on my phone. Flashed it twice successfully on my phone. Verified with CPU Spy:

Linux version 2.6.35.7-I777UCKH7-CL503881 (se.infra@SEP-50) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 27 04:53:41 KST 2011

I'm thinking this would be a good addition to the first post, as a few people may need it occasionally.
    Good job I wasn't using it as an excuse then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

You were. You asked if wifi issues after reverting was a known bug. It is, and this is explicitly stated in the first post in addition to being bold, yet you chose to post without searching or even reading the first post in its entirety. Even if it is not bold with whatever crippled method you use to read these forums, the fact is - it is there, and you posted without reading.
    Uploading a package without root... Gonna be an hour or so.