Do I need s-off to flash roms?

Search This thread

Astrikz

Mar 27, 2012
I just unlocked my cousins evo 4g. I was wondering if I need s-off to flash Roms. If so. Can someone give me a link to a tutorial .

kc3

Nov 5, 2010
Well, you need Clockworkmod but you can't install clockworkmod without S-off, my Evo actually has S-on with clockworkmod and I can install roms no problem :) I don't even know how S turned back on but it did lol... It's really easy to google and find a guide on rooting/turning s-off but regardless here ya go, it's a list of a ton of guides for the Evo and rooting involves turning s-off.
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/491123-evo-4g-all-things-root-guide.html

Nickitt

Dec 21, 2011
Kansas City
I just unlocked my cousins evo 4g. I was wondering if I need s-off to flash Roms. If so. Can someone give me a link to a tutorial .

If you are like me, and would rather visually see it happen, go check out the beloved YouTube. There are lots of videos of people showing you exactly how to do it, step by step.

Hit thanks if I turned you in the right direction!

Good Luck!

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
Unrevoked rev works well to root it if you didn't take the latest OTA:D Clockwork mod 4.0 works well for it afterwards to flash and wipe.

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
If you are s-on (OOW unlocked) on hboot 2.18 u can used fastboot to flash a recovery, you should be using Amon RA on the evo and not cwm or twrp. If you are on hboot 2.15/.16 you need to use revolutionary.io to achieve s-off and gain recovery and the flash SU and SU binaries. Any hboot prior to 2.16 you use unrevoked or one of its variants to get s-off. If you're hboot 2.18 s-on locked you use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader from there you can use fastboot to flash recovery or you can follow captain throwbacks guide to downgrade your hboot to an earlier version and achieve s-off. With s-on unlocked you can do (almost) anything you can do with s-off except you won't be able to flash PC36IMG.zip files, which include recoveries, radio updates, splashscreens, and RUU files.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

custm2007

Mar 29, 2012
If you are s-on (OOW unlocked) on hboot 2.18 u can used fastboot to flash a recovery, you should be using Amon RA on the evo and not cwm or twrp. If you are on hboot 2.15/.16 you need to use revolutionary.io to achieve s-off and gain recovery and the flash SU and SU binaries. Any hboot prior to 2.16 you use unrevoked or one of its variants to get s-off. If you're hboot 2.18 s-on locked you use htcdev.com to unlock the bootloader from there you can use fastboot to flash recovery or you can follow captain throwbacks guide to downgrade your hboot to an earlier version and achieve s-off. With s-on unlocked you can do (almost) anything you can do with s-off except you won't be able to flash PC36IMG.zip files, which include recoveries, radio updates, splashscreens, and RUU files.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Hey -EViL-KoNCEPTz-
You got me kinda confused now. I thought the new CWM got the problems fixed with clearing the cache? If not, then is the Amon RA safe to use, it hasn't been updated in for ever. If you still recommend Amon RA, how do I change to that?

Also, I still have s-on.
Mine says:
*** UNLOCKED***
Supersonic EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001

How do I get it to S-OFF or do I need to?

I've been flashing back and forth to different Roms for a few days now. I'm still trying to find the one I like where everything works.

Skidoo03

Apr 28, 2011
I'm in the same boat as custm2007 except it's on my friends phone. What would be the best way to get s-off after rooting it or do I even need to? I'll be doing everything for him so he won't be flashing much at all.

imheroldman

Apr 10, 2011
Chico
To actually answer the question... No you do not need to be s-off to flash rom's. Once unlocked you can flash a recovery through fastboot and flash rom's to your hearts content. This is currently how my phone is, and I have no complaints. Please see my blog for a tutorial for flashing recovery and su binaries.

imheroldtech.blogspot.com

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Last edited: