[RECOVERY LOCKED/ND3] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 B03]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
*** DISCLAIMER ***
I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 Safestrap

SAFESTRAP INSTALLATION VIDEO BY @Tomsgt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d-cPtK-CR8&feature=youtu.be

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
BETA v3.75 (ND3)

READ KNOWN ISSUES IN POST #2
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK REQUIREMENTS BELOW BEFORE INSTALLING

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
  1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (probably only 1 on the S5 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
  2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
  3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
  4. For more information you can read up here:
    http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
  1. Requirement: Root
  2. Requirement: busybox. If your stock ROM doesn't have it built-in you need to grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.
  3. Requirement: External SD card
  4. Requirement: Remove (temporarily) XPosed framework while installing Safestrap
  5. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
  6. Download the Safestrap APK
  7. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
  8. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
  9. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
  10. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
  11. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
  12. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
  13. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
  • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
  • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
  • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
  • THEN, open a "file explorer" of some sort (even TW "My Files" will work)
  • Browse to where you pushed the APK
  • Click on it and install like normal
  • Once installed, open the APK
  • Grant SU access
  • Use the "Install Recovery" button
  • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

DOWNLOADS:
CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AN AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

FIND YOUR STOCK OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION BELOW AND USE THAT FILENAME:

[KITKAT:ND3]
LATEST BETA FILE: Safestrap-KLTEATT-ND3-3.75-B03.apk
XDA Downloads
Mirror 1 (Crackflasher)

As of version 3.75, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

Special Thanks To
DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery. If you are considering a donation, then please have a look at the Team WIN website: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

XDA:DevDB Information
Safestrap Recovery v3.75, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5

Contributors
Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 3.75 B03
Beta Release Date: 2014-06-26

Created 2014-06-25
Last Updated 2014-06-26

Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Reserved

DO NOT USE ROM-SLOTS YET. STILL DEBUGGING A MOUNTING ISSUE WHERE IT WIPES THE INTERNAL STORAGE.

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • If you install Safestrap on a rom-slot it will show "not installed". *DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP ON A ROM-SLOT*
  • Rebooting from a rom-slot will end up at a blank screen. Battery pull and re-power on.
  • Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
  • If you don't see files on "Micro SDcard" for some reason try tapping that area and swapping to "Internal Storage" and then back again.
  • No Aroma installer support. This is due to the stock S5 kernel framebuffer. To build a recovery which worked, it needed QCOM patches. So will Aroma.
    If you try a .zip file with an Aroma installer, it will most likely just hang.
  • If you use the "4way reboot" mod, then "Reboot Recovery" button in the Safestrap APK won't work correctly.

Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Reserved

CHANGELOG
  • [2014-06-26]Fixed /data/media files being included in backups (making them huge)
  • [2014-06-26]Changed splashmenu time from 8 seconds to 4 seconds (trying to avoid "device memory" error)
  • [2014-06-24]initial release

Last edited:

miko85

Jun 26, 2009
Thank you!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

chronicaust

Sep 8, 2013
Moulton
Do you think this is compatible with the ANCE build number? From what I understand, the differences are extremely small.

And a million thanks for working on this for us!

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
@Hashcode Confirmed work on ATT SM-G900A NCE ......U are Amazing.....:good::good:

EDIT: @chronicaust YES
Do you think this is compatible with the ANCE build number? From what I understand, the differences are extremely small.
And a million thanks for working on this for us!

@mcnaught82 YES
I'm on 2AND3. This will work?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Added to [INDEX][FAQ][Q&A][ALL-IN-ONE][ATT][SM-G900A][Jun.24.2014]

Last edited:

BigSexySCJCD

Apr 21, 2011
Might be a dumb question but what Roms can you use with this setup

Cjohns8792

Apr 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
Might be a dumb question but what Roms can you use with this setup

I might be wrong but I think the OP said we can't use roms yet. I'm assuming this is more or less just a recovery option right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
There are no ROMs for us yet. You will be able to flash roms, just not to a slot. It will be to the Stock Slot only. But you can back up your stock rom before flashing over the stock slot. Most ROMs will act better on the stock slot anyway.

1st thing I did with this recovery was wipe dalvick cache and regular cache. Phone is really acting better now. I mean a whole lot better. Thanks to Hashcode, and Geohot, we will have development here soon....

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I might be wrong but I think the OP said we can't use roms yet. I'm assuming this is more or less just a recovery option right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are no ROMs for us yet. You will be able to flash roms, just not to a slot. It will be to the Stock Slot only. But you can back up your stock rom before flashing over the stock slot. Most ROMs will act better on the stock slot anyway.

1st thing I did with this recovery was wipe dalvick cache and regular cache. Phone is really acting better now. I mean a whole lot better. Thanks to Hashcode, and Geohot, we will have development here soon....

I'm using the Alliance Rom from the T-Mobile forum. so far running good.

Reactions: LuckyColdJohnson

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 Safestrap

SAFESTRAP INSTALLATION VIDEO BY @Tomsgt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d-cPtK-CR8&feature=youtu.be

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA v3.75 (ND3)

READ KNOWN ISSUES IN POST #2
    MAKE SURE YOU CHECK REQUIREMENTS BELOW BEFORE INSTALLING

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (probably only 1 on the S5 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
    4. For more information you can read up here:
      http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    1. Requirement: Root
    2. Requirement: busybox. If your stock ROM doesn't have it built-in you need to grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.
    3. Requirement: External SD card
    4. Requirement: Remove (temporarily) XPosed framework while installing Safestrap
    5. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    6. Download the Safestrap APK
    7. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    8. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    9. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    10. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    11. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    12. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    13. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

• Grant SU access

DOWNLOADS:

XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Crackflasher)

As of version 3.75, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
    I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

Special Thanks To
    DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery. If you are considering a donation, then please have a look at the Team WIN website: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

XDA:DevDB Information
    Safestrap Recovery v3.75, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5

Contributors
    Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 3.75 B03
    Beta Release Date: 2014-06-26

Created 2014-06-25
    Last Updated 2014-06-26
    Reserved

DO NOT USE ROM-SLOTS YET. STILL DEBUGGING A MOUNTING ISSUE WHERE IT WIPES THE INTERNAL STORAGE.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • If you install Safestrap on a rom-slot it will show "not installed". *DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP ON A ROM-SLOT*
    • Rebooting from a rom-slot will end up at a blank screen. Battery pull and re-power on.
    • Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
    • If you don't see files on "Micro SDcard" for some reason try tapping that area and swapping to "Internal Storage" and then back again.
    • No Aroma installer support. This is due to the stock S5 kernel framebuffer. To build a recovery which worked, it needed QCOM patches. So will Aroma.
      If you try a .zip file with an Aroma installer, it will most likely just hang.
    • If you use the "4way reboot" mod, then "Reboot Recovery" button in the Safestrap APK won't work correctly.
    Had a user test rom-slots and it showed "Device memory damaged" and then it wiped the ENTIRE internal storage.

So no go for rom-slots for now, till i figure out what happened.

That would be me.

Don't mind sacrificing my phone a few times before we get this figured out :p
    **Updated** Safestrap-G900A-KitKat-3.75 w/Working ROM Slots

Here it is: Safestrap-G900A-KitKat-3.75.apk

All precautions, limitations, and known issues stated in the OP still apply! Proceed to install and use at your own risk!

Changelog:
    1. Resolved "reboot from ROM-slot bug."

Instructions: Make certain that you have BusyBox installed! (Make certain that you open the BusyBox app after downloading from the Play Store and actually install BusyBox!).
    1. Uninstall previous Safestrap recovery version using the Safestrap app "Uninstall Recovery" function.
    2. Uninstall the previous Safestrap app from your app drawer.
    3. Go into SuperSu settings and "forget" the previous safestrap version's root privileges.
    4. Place the new Safestrap.apk onto your sdcard or extsdcard.
    5. Install the new Safestrap.apk.
    6. Locate and open the new Safestrap app from your app drawer and press "Install Recovery." Done!

Known Issues:
    None!...yet.

Please note: This is a Development Thread! Therefore, please do not post comments related to ROM specific issues, favorite ROM's, that weird rash that won't go away, etc., in this thread. Please use the following thread in the General section for non-development related discussion: http://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/updated-safestrap-g900a-kitkat-3-75-apk-t2938105

Credits:
    Hashcode
    I've uploaded a new beta for Safestrap S5 ATT.

• Grant SU access

CHANGELOG
    • [2014-06-26]I also included a slightly different init binary in this release in hopes that it might stop the "Device Memory" issue. But only testing will tell.
    • [2014-06-26]Fixed /data/media files being included in backups (making them huge)
    • [2014-06-26]Changed splashmenu time from 8 seconds to 4 seconds (trying to avoid "device memory" error)
    • [2014-06-24]initial release

DOWNLOADS:

XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Crackflasher)

The KEY change in this update is that I fixed a bug with backups where the internal storage was being included (making the backups HUGE). Backups normally do not include the internal storage area.

However, this also means if you get hit with the corruption screen and it formats your userdata partition.. your backup won't have the internal storage files in them from now on.

MAKE SURE TO KEEP STUFF ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD.

Doing my very best to debug this wipe issue that is happening on the S5. And I thank you for your patience.