Non Market Apps Solved

Search This thread

kirbo20

Nov 29, 2006
This is a pretty easy process. I went in to Root Explorer - dbdata - databases - com.android.providers.settings, copied settings.db to my sd card, edited it on my pc with a db editor changed 0 to a 1 next to non market apps. Copied it back to the original directory, rebooted and installed a non market app.

Please use caution. If you want to make sure the db save properly open it on your sd card before you copy and replace the original. It should open up as a readable table. If it opens up in a txt editor its corrupt. This permanently enables non market apps. You can not toggle it on and off.

I will try and post pictures soon.

**If this has helped you please consider a donation.**

Thanks

Last edited:

kirbo20

Nov 29, 2006
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

modest_mandroid

May 23, 2010
You can actually do it through firefox too. There's a firefox addon called 'SQLite manager' that you can use to edit the file, if you don't want to download a separate program.

iJITSU

Feb 17, 2007
Are you just trying to install non-market apps on the Captivate? If so, then just download the usb driver for the Captivate and then Droid Explorer (may also need SDK installed; not sure). With Droid Explorer, you can easily load non-market apps within seconds. Good solution for a non tech guy like me.

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
Being brand spanking new to Android, still have question. I like very specific instructions.

Do you download files to whatever directory you want to make and put the files in? Then is there an option to select, and do install? My background is WinMO, so on that you can just use a file explorer and double click or tap, and it installs.

kirbo20

Nov 29, 2006
PDA Net will work without rooting. Just put your phone on airplane mode and enable wifi. Go to the market and download it. Once it is downloaded you can turn off airplane mode and you're good to go.

M

Muhamadabdelaall

PDA Net will work without rooting. Just put your phone on airplane mode and enable wifi. Go to the market and download it. Once it is downloaded you can turn off airplane mode and you're good to go.

oh, thanks alot man for that I was unaware of.

blazewit

Jun 16, 2010
Madison
will flashing a new rom when they start coming out also allow you to do this or do i have to do this regardless?

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
This is a pretty easy process. I went in to Root Explorer - dbdata - databases - com.android.providers.settings, copied settings.db to my sd card, edited it on my pc with a db editor changed 0 to a 1 next to non market apps. Copied it back to the original directory, rebooted and installed a non market app.

Please use caution. If you want to make sure the db save properly open it on your sd card before you copy and replace the original. It should open up as a readable table. If it opens up in a txt editor its corrupt. This permanently enables non market apps. You can not toggle it on and off.

I will try and post pictures soon.

Where do you see the 0, the one you recommend to change to a 1? I only see lots of squares.

seriouslyjeff

Apr 12, 2010
Austin
So... Thank you so much for this info. I downloaded your file and put it into the correct DIR and have non market apps installing with no problem. However I can not get Titanium backup to work correctly. =/ When I try to restore an app it says installing and I have to force close titanium to get it to stop. Probably about half the apps I try and do this for install the other backups do not. Is any one else having any issues like this or know how to fix it?

tbae2

Jan 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So... Thank you so much for this info. I downloaded your file and put it into the correct DIR and have non market apps installing with no problem. However I can not get Titanium backup to work correctly. =/ When I try to restore an app it says installing and I have to force close titanium to get it to stop. Probably about half the apps I try and do this for install the other backups do not. Is any one else having any issues like this or know how to fix it?

Where did you see the number to change? Mine just looks like a bunch of gibberish

stoneskid

Aug 15, 2005
When into this dir dbdata - databases - com.android.providers.settings and cant find any files. Using linda

tbae2

Jan 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I used this DB editor instead
http://sqlitestudio.one.pl/index.rvt

connect to the settings.db file, on the left side click Tables, and then click Secure. It will show a grid on the right with _id, name, value etc. Click the Data tab, in the search box type market. And there should be only one value that shows up as "install_nonmarket_apps". Set the value to one. Refersh it and then copy it back to your phone.

Citznfish

Jul 18, 2010
Are you just trying to install non-market apps on the Captivate? If so, then just download the usb driver for the Captivate and then Droid Explorer (may also need SDK installed; not sure). With Droid Explorer, you can easily load non-market apps within seconds. Good solution for a non tech guy like me.

How the heck do you do this? I have Droid Explorer installed but not BusyBox. I have Windows 7 and can't figure out how to get BusyBox on my phone. I have rooted the phone but that's about it. in Droid Explorer when I connect to my phone it shows nothing!