Best Insurance for EVO 4G LTE?

Search This thread

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I pre-ordered my EVO through BB. I'm contemplating where to get my insurance now though. Can I go through Sprint still? Should I get the BB insurance? SquareTrade? Other?

What are some pros/cons from experience? I figured this would help a lot of people out. Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

purock

Jul 21, 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
I pre-ordered my EVO through BB. I'm contemplating where to get my insurance now though. Can I go through Sprint still? Should I get the BB insurance? SquareTrade? Other?

What are some pros/cons from experience? I figured this would help a lot of people out. Thanks in advance! :)

My 2cent experience.

BB is a great insurance from a cost perspective. No deductible if your phone needs replacement. The only down side with BB insurance is if there is an issue, they need to send it in.

My BB Story:
I sent in my OG Evo because it had a bad charging port (common problem). It took them a month and a half to get it back to me. Meanwhile they gave me a beat up LG Optimus as a lender phone. It was decent, but it felt like a life time without MY phone. They fixed the charging port on my Evo and sent it back, but when I got it back, I noticed that they blew out the one capacitative button (above the charging port). I couldn't send it out and wait AGAIN. So I used LED hack to keep those lights off, because it looked like it was missing a front tooth.

Also, if you lose or your phone is stolen, your SOL. I dropped my Evo into the dark endless bottom of a lake (SOL).

You can go onto the Sprint Insurance after you buy your phone elsewhere, like BB. Nice things about Sprint is that they replace lost or stolen phones. If you need a replacement they get you one immediately. Downsides: Replacement phone might be refurbished and you have to pay a high deductible.

It's really whatever floats your boat. Sorry for the long post.

LTEvo

May 7, 2012
Also I believe now Sprint is uping their TEP cost to 11$ per month. For phones that cost 500$+ w/o contract. It is Asurion that provides the insurance, and from what I read the LTE will have a 150$ deductible.

So essentially you will end up paying $264 for 2 years + 150 deductible = $414.

And I currently have insurance on my OG Evo. I am seriously considering just dropping the insurance. If I break my LTE, just keep my old Evo as back up or buy something on craigslist. And after a year you can get the 75$ credit towards an upgrade.

I am leaning towards just saving my money on the insurance.

Sephirothvfc

Oct 4, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
My 2cent experience.

BB is a great insurance from a cost perspective. No deductible if your phone needs replacement. The only down side with BB insurance is if there is an issue, they need to send it in.

My BB Story:
I sent in my OG Evo because it had a bad charging port (common problem). It took them a month and a half to get it back to me. Meanwhile they gave me a beat up LG Optimus as a lender phone. It was decent, but it felt like a life time without MY phone. They fixed the charging port on my Evo and sent it back, but when I got it back, I noticed that they blew out the one capacitative button (above the charging port). I couldn't send it out and wait AGAIN. So I used LED hack to keep those lights off, because it looked like it was missing a front tooth.

Also, if you lose or your phone is stolen, your SOL. I dropped my Evo into the dark endless bottom of a lake (SOL).

You can go onto the Sprint Insurance after you buy your phone elsewhere, like BB. Nice things about Sprint is that they replace lost or stolen phones. If you need a replacement they get you one immediately. Downsides: Replacement phone might be refurbished and you have to pay a high deductible.

Ya i hear these all the time because thats what the old insurance plan used to be.

Let me tell you about the changes they did for the Black Tie Protection plan from best buy.

2 Options:

1) Rapid Exchange program where it takes 2-5 business days for you to get another phone. Yes it will be a refurb phone and most of the phones I send out they usually come in 2 days.

2) repair program where you can send out your phone to be repaired and u will get the same unit. Takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to get your phone back. Now this good thing about this option is that if your phone is not cost effective to repair then they will they give u full retail value to either get the same phone or u might be able to get yourself a new phone. Ive had times where ppl had the epic 4g and they were tired of it, sent it out and 3 weeks later they got themselves an epic 4g touch for $50 since the price difference from retail cost was 649.99 to 699.99. Now this may not always happen but it can.

Reactions: CaptainCool

SilentSummer

Jun 12, 2010
Also I believe now Sprint is uping their TEP cost to 11$ per month. For phones that cost 500$+ w/o contract. It is Asurion that provides the insurance, and from what I read the LTE will have a 150$ deductible.

And I currently have insurance on my OG Evo. I am seriously considering just dropping the insurance. If I break my LTE, just keep my old Evo as back up or buy something on craigslist. And after a year you can get the 75$ credit towards an upgrade.

This is pretty much my thoughts on insurance as well.
It's not really worth it. I'm keepmy my OG Evo as well for backup in case anything happens with my EVO LTE.

.jond

Aug 24, 2010
The Sprint warranty is essentially you making a $464($200 deductible + $11*24months) bet that you'll break your $550 phone over the next 2 years for a reason outside of the 12 month manufacture warranty coverage. Add in the variable of the price of the phone dropping after year 1, and it's a losing bet.

With squaretrade(who I currently use for my old EVO), it's a $225 bet of breaking your $550 phone over 2 years.

Bestbuy insurance just sucks from what I've read.

If your phone ever breaks, don't think of it as you're having to shell out $550.
Think of it as you've already saved $464 of the cost. You're only paying $85 extra for you losing your bet.

In other words, to make it more clear, it cost you $90 more to break your phone w/o insurance than with.
Are you really going to drop down $264($11/month) to maybe save $85 one day?

Last edited:

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Where did that 11$ came in? Are they changing it soon I paid 8$ at month and deductible is 100$ btw I do keep my insure for almost a year and then drop it ain't worth it for 24 months

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA using Tapatalk 2

ticklemepinks

Feb 26, 2008

they don't have $75 upgrade anymore

Reactions: LTEvo

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Ep3n3wp

Aug 8, 2010
Newport beach
I'm keeping sprint's insurance... pay the deductable and get a new phone over nighted no questions asked for any reason!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm keeping sprint's insurance... pay the deductable and get a new phone over nighted no questions asked for any reason!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

People have been doing some intense math on this forum regarding the TEP, and it seems that you'll pay about $450 for the insurance if you use it once. That's hardly worth it when the phone won't even be worth that in a year. I would recommend against it honestly, but if the peace of mind is worth it than do what you've gotta do. :)

Curb71

Sep 22, 2008
Los Angeles
People have been doing some intense math on this forum regarding the TEP, and it seems that you'll pay about $450 for the insurance if you use it once. That's hardly worth it when the phone won't even be worth that in a year. I would recommend against it honestly, but if the peace of mind is worth it than do what you've gotta do. :)

It really boils down to how much of a clutz you are. if you are always dropping and/or breaking your phone and loosing it I think insurance is a smart buy. If you are very careful and treat it like your baby then insurance is about as bad a buy as when playing blackjack. :D

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Okay how about ensquared.com? For $99, I get 2 years coverage and get:

-3 claims up to $1000 each (only a max of $600 TOTAL through squaretrade)

-$75 deductible (better than the $100 one through squaretrade)

-covers lost, stolen, dropped, water, etc.

Seems like the way to go! Any thoughts on this? Experience with them?

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
TEP is a house bet for most people. Those who haven't read this yet, read this write up by Mathman here.

I just dumped my TEP, 37.5% price increase with 100% deductible increase to go with it. On top of that, no guarantee your replacement is going to be new, it's most likely going to be a refurb which doesn't have the full value of a new phone.

Reactions: Mathman85

caspertodd

Jan 28, 2010
Murfreesboro
I have always had TEP, and it has saved me multiple times. With my Samsung Moment, I bricked it several times. The first thing they asked me "do you have TEP?". Then they would replace it (for free) no questions asked. I have had them repair my wife's old Hero a couple times, and have had them repair other phones in the past. I have yet to pay a single deductible.

For me personally, TEP has worked out, and saved me a lot of money. So keep in mind that TEP does have some benefits too, and not every repair requires a deductible. I personally cannot afford forking out $599 for a new phone if I did not have insurance, so I have to have some sort of it. Squaretrade with a 30% off coupon makes the warranty about $90 for two years with accidental damage (doesn't cover lost or stolen), that is the other choice I would look at, but I think I may stick with TEP because of my past experience. The price hike does piss me off though.

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have always had TEP, and it has saved me multiple times. With my Samsung Moment, I bricked it several times. The first thing they asked me "do you have TEP?". Then they would replace it (for free) no questions asked. I have had them repair my wife's old Hero a couple times, and have had them repair other phones in the past. I have yet to pay a single deductible.

For me personally, TEP has worked out, and saved me a lot of money. So keep in mind that TEP does have some benefits too, and not every repair requires a deductible. I personally cannot afford forking out $599 for a new phone if I did not have insurance, so I have to have some sort of it. Squaretrade with a 30% off coupon makes the warranty about $90 for two years with accidental damage (doesn't cover lost or stolen), that is the other choice I would look at, but I think I may stick with TEP because of my past experience. The price hike does piss me off though.

See my above post. Ensquared seems to be a better bet than SquareTrade.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 2cent experience.

My BB Story:

Ya i hear these all the time because thats what the old insurance plan used to be.

Let me tell you about the changes they did for the Black Tie Protection plan from best buy.

2 Options:

1) Rapid Exchange program where it takes 2-5 business days for you to get another phone. Yes it will be a refurb phone and most of the phones I send out they usually come in 2 days.

2) repair program where you can send out your phone to be repaired and u will get the same unit. Takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to get your phone back. Now this good thing about this option is that if your phone is not cost effective to repair then they will they give u full retail value to either get the same phone or u might be able to get yourself a new phone. Ive had times where ppl had the epic 4g and they were tired of it, sent it out and 3 weeks later they got themselves an epic 4g touch for $50 since the price difference from retail cost was 649.99 to 699.99. Now this may not always happen but it can.

they don't have $75 upgrade anymore
    TEP is a house bet for most people. Those who haven't read this yet, read this write up by Mathman here.

I just dumped my TEP, 37.5% price increase with 100% deductible increase to go with it. On top of that, no guarantee your replacement is going to be new, it's most likely going to be a refurb which doesn't have the full value of a new phone.
    I plan on getting the Zagg insurance:

http://www.zagg.com/store/services/zaggsafe/safe.php

$99, covers 2 years, and $59 deductible for water damage/broken glass.

If I lose the phone, I guess that's on me, but that's unlikely since I don't go anywhere without knowing where my phone is.

If it gets stolen, that's covered by my credit card.

P.S. And the best part is, it covers "unlocked" phones.
    I get TEP on new phones till I see on ebay that I can get a reconditioned phone for about $100. However, a lost new phone in the first 90 days of roll out day or so will probably be a new one from Assurion.