[GUIDE] Enable micro SD Card writing on KitKat android

Search This thread

poolmaker

Jul 21, 2012
Description:
Android KitKat Blocks Some Access to Micro SD Cards

Important note:
Root is mandatory and this guide works for all 4.4+ android devices.

In other words, if you have problems with this guide, then do a check, and check again.
Or you doing something wrong, or yours device stil dont have real root status.

Once again, root status is ability to EDIT and SAVE changes to system files.
If you cant do BOTH things, then you doing SOMETHING WRONG or you dont have real ROOT status, or both of them.
Backup your stock platform.xml before modifications, just in case.

Two solutions, manual solution and one click/app solution, both solution doing same thing.
1. Launch your favorite file manager with enabled root access rights.
You can use any app you prefer which can run elevated on your device.
For example, the 'Root Explorer' app or 'Total Commander' or 'File Manager' from CyanogenMod will do.

2. Navigate to the following file:

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

3. Find android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE lines. These are XML sections. You need to make them look exactly like the strings below:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

Save the platform.xml file. It’s necessary to set the file permissions to 644 (rw-/r–/r–) before mobile restarting. Now reboot your Android device.

App written by @tliebeck
[APP][4.4][ROOT] SDFix: Modify device permissions to allow apps to write to MicroSD

Last edited:

slead1

Feb 6, 2011
@puck1e
could you tell me exactly how you did that? I am so desperate that I am thinking about switching to another phone

slead1

Feb 6, 2011
oh man, too good to be true
I tried it as well but it does not save any changes to the file

so I guess there is no other possibility than to unlock the bootloader and then root the device - and lose the warranty

slead1

Feb 6, 2011
like poolmaker already said, its 4.4.2
so it would appear that we all have to wait and see if someone comes up with an idea or the app developers adjust their apps

still, thanks for the link, I will have a look at it. for all I know it might just work with 4.4.2 also

Mono_pol

Oct 7, 2013
like poolmaker already said, its 4.4.2
so it would appear that we all have to wait and see if someone comes up with an idea or the app developers adjust their apps

still, thanks for the link, I will have a look at it. for all I know it might just work with 4.4.2 also

Ok, I have forgotten that there is no method for kit kat yet:silly:. You can always root on 4.3, backup your TA and only then unlock bootloader ( It is how I have done it). If something goes wrong I hope I will be able to restore my TA partition and lock bootloader again. Or you can wait a bit. I am sure soon someone will figure out how to root it.

poolmaker

Jul 21, 2012
Sure, but that is (seems to me) last option to him.
If i understand situation well, @Mono_pol want to wait working exploit in 4.4.2 firmware (root without unlocking bootloader).

Reactions: mirultebe

Mono_pol

Oct 7, 2013
I have already unlocked my bootloader. Long time ago to be honest. Now I am running rooted KitKat without any issues so far. My comments were directed at @slead1 just to give him some idea if he does not want to wait for a working exploit on android 4.4.

tania247260

Apr 10, 2013
Visby sweden
Last edited:

slead1

Feb 6, 2011
I will wait for an exploit,...dont want to unlock the bootloader and lose the warrenty

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    Android KitKat Blocks Some Access to Micro SD Cards

Important note:
    Root is mandatory and this guide works for all 4.4+ android devices.

In other words, if you have problems with this guide, then do a check, and check again.
    Or you doing something wrong, or yours device stil dont have real root status.

Once again, root status is ability to EDIT and SAVE changes to system files.
    If you cant do BOTH things, then you doing SOMETHING WRONG or you dont have real ROOT status, or both of them.
    Backup your stock platform.xml before modifications, just in case.

Two solutions, manual solution and one click/app solution, both solution doing same thing.
    1. Launch your favorite file manager with enabled root access rights.
    You can use any app you prefer which can run elevated on your device.
    For example, the 'Root Explorer' app or 'Total Commander' or 'File Manager' from CyanogenMod will do.

2. Navigate to the following file:

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

3. Find android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE lines. These are XML sections. You need to make them look exactly like the strings below:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>
    <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

Save the platform.xml file. It’s necessary to set the file permissions to 644 (rw-/r–/r–) before mobile restarting. Now reboot your Android device.

App written by @tliebeck
    [APP][4.4][ROOT] SDFix: Modify device permissions to allow apps to write to MicroSD
    I did that without root.
    I used root explorer and text editor
    No, he didn't do that.
    That is impossible.
    Without root you cant remount system as r/w and edit system files.

Read this thread, maybe there is a way.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1725222
    Sure, but that is (seems to me) last option to him.
    If i understand situation well, @Mono_pol want to wait working exploit in 4.4.2 firmware (root without unlocking bootloader).
    It seems that problem is somehow connected to the fact that file is read-only but the permissions are set to rw-/r–/r–.
    Forgot to mount system as read/write?
    Probably that, cant see what other can be cause.
    Anyway, will update OP with that detail.