[APP] Skyrocket Charger Test [Now in Google Play]

Search This thread

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
UPDATE (3/1/2014): Better late than never, the app is now available in the Google Play Store.

DOWNLOAD HERE

This version *should* work for both ICS and JB. I still don't have a Skyrocket, so can someone please download and test and let me know if it works? If it does not, I'll fix ASAP. I'm just publishing the same basic app to the Play Store to make it a little easier for you folks to install it after a flash.

If the Play Store version doesn't work for ICS and/or JB, v0.1 in this thread is for ICS, v0.3 is for JB

I created an app in Tasker's App Factory to test your Skyrocket's charger.

The goal of this app is to help you determine if your charger is providing a fast charge and to see if your charger will cause the dreaded wakelock. You should be able to plug in your charger and launch the app to see your charger type and current reported in the notification bar.

This app was created to accompany my thread on Skyrocket battery life here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1759541

The apk is attached. Just install it and launch the app when you have a charger connected.

For Reference:

The app runs a cat of these files: /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_source & /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc

***Version 0.3 for Jelly Bean ROMs cats batt_charging_source instead of charging_source***

It uses charging_source and the values below to determine the charge type

0= No charger connected.

1= USB Normal Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4 and data current is detected on 2&3

2= AC Fast Charge. AC Fast Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are BRIDGED.

6= AC Regular Charge. This is the charge state that creates the wakelock. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are OPEN/DISCONNECTED.

The app uses the batt_current_adc value to determine the charge current. Anything below 500 means your charger provides a normal charge. Anything above that will likely be around 900 and that is considered a fast charge.

The Tasker project XML is attached in the second ZIP if anybody wants to see what the app is doing.

Version 0.1
First attempt

V 0.3
Should work with Jelly Bean
Updated minimum OS to 4.1
Changed cat of "charging_source" to "batt_charging_source"

Attachments

• Skyrocket_Charger_Test.0.1.apk
    664.6 KB · Views: 5,944
  • Skyrocket_Charger_Test.0.3.apk
    927 KB · Views: 3,177
Last edited:

burgeswe

Mar 27, 2012
Edmond, OK
Installed this and tested it on 3 chargers, official, cheap brand, and car. Seems to work great!

So far all I notice is that it just doesn't launch if the device isn't plugged in (understandably), and the notification icon persists through closing the app (very minor)

I'm going to try it with another skyrocket and some knockoff batteries and will let you know!

Very nice app!

Edit: I'm running CM9 RC2/Nightly, just to give as much info as I can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrockttu

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
Installed this and tested it on 3 chargers, official, cheap brand, and car. Seems to work great!

So far all I notice is that it just doesn't launch if the device isn't plugged in (understandably), and the notification icon persists through closing the app (very minor)

I'm going to try it with another skyrocket and some knockoff batteries and will let you know!

Very nice app!

Edit: I'm running CM9 RC2/Nightly, just to give as much info as I can

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to get it to report "No charger connected" when one isn't connected, but couldn't get it working. I'll try adding that again on my next version.

Reactions: ramani

Tsaxmafia

Nov 21, 2010
This Is Awesome! It allowed me to figure out which charges in my house were actually doing the trick. Thanks

holeindalip

Dec 27, 2010
central Il
Mine just says fast charge a/c 903ma in notification area.I'm on cm10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

lnfound

Jun 6, 2012
Mine just says fast charge a/c 903ma in notification area.I'm on cm10

I'm on AOKP and I also just get #ma. Perhaps I'm referencing back to the post incorrectly but I don't follow how to interpret this to wake lock issue.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
If your charger is recognized as type 6, it will give you a notification like in the attached image. Type 6 causes a wakelock.

uploadfromtaptalk1343972478068.jpg

Reactions: Weazmeister

m4570d0n

Nov 20, 2011
Houston
OnePlus 6T
I'm on CM10. With the USB cable that came with my skyrocket plugged into my computer I get "slow charge @ 461mA. With the SGS3 USB cable it says "Fast Charge @ 502mA."

Have you checked out the Hidden Features app? It seems like some of the features don't work on my phone but has some nice battery info features.

Last edited:

yaiiyaii

Dec 3, 2011
Has anyone tried this app on any other device?

nthuser

Apr 13, 2011
Auckland
Thanks for this app mate, seem to work very well with all the chargers I have. Now I know which ones I should use.

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
Great app. Use it often and its never failed to find a bad charger. Looking forward to future updates and to see just how far this app can go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

droidbabyxda

Jun 27, 2011
Youngstown Ohio
my charger, the original one, box and cable both says "fast charger 899Ma"... shouldn't this be 1000ma? i mean am i doing something wrong?

droidbabyxda

Jun 27, 2011
Youngstown Ohio
quick question slightly related.

bought new charger... says Charger wakelock 489ma. I bought the usb and it says it is 5v = 2.1a how come it is still not charging like a fast charger? is it cable or the usb plug?

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
quick question slightly related.

bought new charger... says Charger wakelock 489ma. I bought the usb and it says it is 5v = 2.1a how come it is still not charging like a fast charger? is it cable or the usb plug?

I really need more info before I can tell you anything for sure.
Is the charger the stock Samsung charger or is it one you picked up at walmart or some other store?
My Samsung charger has two parts, the data cable with micro USB on one end that plugs in the phone and USB on the other that plugs into a pc. And the other part is a plug that plugs in the wall and the USB data cable plugs into it. Now is your charger all one piece or is the data cable separate from the wall plug?

Sent from my two cents which ain't worth much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE (3/1/2014): Better late than never, the app is now available in the Google Play Store.

DOWNLOAD HERE

This version *should* work for both ICS and JB. I still don't have a Skyrocket, so can someone please download and test and let me know if it works? If it does not, I'll fix ASAP. I'm just publishing the same basic app to the Play Store to make it a little easier for you folks to install it after a flash.

If the Play Store version doesn't work for ICS and/or JB, v0.1 in this thread is for ICS, v0.3 is for JB

I created an app in Tasker's App Factory to test your Skyrocket's charger.

The goal of this app is to help you determine if your charger is providing a fast charge and to see if your charger will cause the dreaded wakelock. You should be able to plug in your charger and launch the app to see your charger type and current reported in the notification bar.

This app was created to accompany my thread on Skyrocket battery life here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1759541

The apk is attached. Just install it and launch the app when you have a charger connected.

For Reference:

The app runs a cat of these files: /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_source & /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc

***Version 0.3 for Jelly Bean ROMs cats batt_charging_source instead of charging_source***

It uses charging_source and the values below to determine the charge type

0= No charger connected.

1= USB Normal Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4 and data current is detected on 2&3

2= AC Fast Charge. AC Fast Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are BRIDGED.

6= AC Regular Charge. This is the charge state that creates the wakelock. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are OPEN/DISCONNECTED.

The app uses the batt_current_adc value to determine the charge current. Anything below 500 means your charger provides a normal charge. Anything above that will likely be around 900 and that is considered a fast charge.

The Tasker project XML is attached in the second ZIP if anybody wants to see what the app is doing.

Version 0.1
    First attempt

V 0.3
    Should work with Jelly Bean
    Updated minimum OS to 4.1
    Changed cat of "charging_source" to "batt_charging_source"
    Yes it does change when it's plugged into the charger.

Someone please try the version that is attached. I changed it to check the batt_charging_source file. Try it out with a few chargers that you know do or do not create the wakelock so that you know if it's reporting the right information.
    Excellent, thanks for this. Is there anyway to integrate the wakelock charging check into this as well?

The app should tell you that your charger will cause a wakelock if it's one that will. Is it not doing that for you?
    I just downloaded Skyrocket Charger Test from the Play Store. It works with my Skyrocket (Jellybean 4.1.2).

It's a little odd. Nothing appears to happen when I tap it to run it. But if I then plug in a charger I get the notification.

The charging currents reported seem to be consistent with those reported by CurrentWidget v0.4, when CurrentWidget is configured for "/ 10" (divide by ten) in its "Normalize current value" setting.

(This board won't let me post the link to CurrentWidget, sorry!)
    That's how it has always behaved. You have to run it once; thereafter it will show a notification when you plug in the phone to charge.

This app (and its pre-Play version) has saved me a lot of time and aggravation with poorly made USB cables.
    I've uploaded the app to Google Play, for anybody that wants to download it from there: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jellisapps.srchargertest

This is a new version, I tried to make it work for both JB and ICS, but I don't have a Skyrocket anymore. Someone please download and let me know whether it works and if you're on JB or ICS.