[Q] LG G2 Straight Talk MMS Issue After Kit Kat Update

Search This thread

DanielMena9

Oct 31, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I recently received the update to 4.4.2 on my LG G2 on Straight Talk. I am on the "new" SIM card (post November or something). Before when I was on 4.2.2 I would be able to send and receive MMS but now after the update I do not have access to MMS neither sending nor receiving. I was wondering if any of you were in the same boat and whether any of you had a fix ?

I have tried lots of APN settings as well.

Thanks,

Daniel

dily816

Sep 26, 2013
Net10 same problem can't send or receive mms after Kit Kat updated

My LG G2 AT&T updated to KIT KAT and now I can't send or receive MMS. I think AT&T turn off MMS feature on different carrier.
AT&T are being evil not letting us go to different carriers.

Makman20

May 31, 2012
Texas
My LG G2 AT&T updated to KIT KAT and now I can't send or receive MMS. I think AT&T turn off MMS feature on different carrier.
AT&T are being evil not letting us go to different carriers.

Better not be the case, I'm not so impressed with the update anyways. They could of added more. If I really have to, I don't mind going back to aosp. I'll call customer service l8r but if anyone gets an update please post it

DanielMena9

Oct 31, 2010
Update 2/27/14: I was on the phone with them last night for about 45 min and they ran me through the useless reboot procedures.

They eventually opened a ticket and they stated that if my MMS wasn't fixed in 24 hours to give them a call. It has been about 12 and still no fix.

Daniel

Makman20

May 31, 2012
Texas
Update 2/27/14: I was on the phone with them last night for about 45 min and they ran me through the useless reboot procedures.

They eventually opened a ticket and they stated that if my MMS wasn't fixed in 24 hours to give them a call. It has been about 12 and still no fix.

Daniel

Same here. Spoke with a guy in tech support, was a waste of my lunch break. No solution

djvoleur

May 5, 2010
Purgatory, AZ
APN

Usually issues about not being able to send MMS messages are because of incorrectly set APN.

Settings > Tethering and networks > Mobile networks > Access point names and select your appropriate carrier, if not, may need to be put in manually...

Edit:
Only reason I can think of even though @DanielMena9 has said he's messed with those settings...

Try this:
Code:
Name - Straight Talk
Apn - tfdata
MMSC - http://mms-tf.net
Mms proxy - 66.209.11.33
Port- 80

@dily816
Code:
Name: NET10
APN: tfdata
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

Select the APN and reboot...

Last edited:
Reactions: Makman20

Makman20

May 31, 2012
Texas
Usually issues about not being able to send MMS messages are because of incorrectly set APN.

Settings > Tethering and networks > Mobile networks > Access point names and select your appropriate carrier, if not, may need to be put in manually...

Edit:
Only reason I can think of even though @DanielMena9 has said he's messed with those settings...

Try this:
Code:
Name - Straight Talk
Apn - tfdata
MMSC - http://mms-tf.net
Mms proxy - 66.209.11.33
Port- 80

@dily816
Code:
Name: NET10
APN: tfdata
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

Select the APN and reboot...

Thanks but still no go. ive been using my same sim for 2-3 yrs now. Always worked. Im just gonna order a new sim. Here are my settings. They're working fine on previous g2 firmware, aosp, etc. i tried just about everything

NAME: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
PROXY: 66.209.11.32
PORT:80
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY:66.209.11.32
MMS PORT:80

synergymike

Nov 29, 2011
West Jordan
I am having the exact same problem. I use this phone with my tmobile SIM and before the kit kat update mms worked perfectly but after it doesn't work at all. Sms works fine and the apn settings are ccorrect. Is this issue only happening on straight talk and non at&t sims?

Makman20

May 31, 2012
Texas
I am having the exact same problem. I use this phone with my tmobile SIM and before the kit kat update mms worked perfectly but after it doesn't work at all. Sms works fine and the apn settings are ccorrect. Is this issue only happening on straight talk and non at&t sims?

Not sure. I have an "att compatible" Sim card from straight talk. I'm guessing the issue is those with non att sim cards. I just don't think people are reporting the issue. Wish someone would confirm their mms is okay

Reactions: synergymike

cyan pac

Jan 24, 2013
Sony Xperia 1 III
has anyone tried using a differnt messageing app? like textra or evolve? ive heard about this before and textra seemed to help people
but i dont know if its the same case here

Makman20

May 31, 2012
Texas
has anyone tried using a differnt messageing app? like textra or evolve? ive heard about this before and textra seemed to help people
but i dont know if its the same case here

I've tried hangouts, evolve, & textra. Even tried changing textra's mms settings. Also managed to get root. Thought if i could delete the att apn, it might help. Managed to delete but still nothing

synergymike

Nov 29, 2011
West Jordan
I've tried hangouts, evolve, & textra. Even tried changing textra's mms settings. Also managed to get root. Thought if i could delete the att apn, it might help. Managed to delete but still nothing

I did some poking around in the the hidden menus that the launcher pro activities widget exploit opens up on the D800. But unfortunately I didn't mess with to much for fear of really messing something up. Hopefully the service ticket through at&t tech will yield some results.

shades333

This is clearly a kitkat related issue since we are all having the same issue since upgrade to 4.4.2.
I realized some have called straight talk, and AT&T... hopefully AT&T will entertain us.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

DanielMena9

Oct 31, 2010

You mentioned that you are using a T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM card or a straight up T-Mobile SIM card and it stopped working after the Kit Kat update?

I just want to confirm if the issue is Straight Talk LG G2 Kit Kat exclusive or LG G2 Kit Kat wide regardless of SIM / company.

synergymike

Nov 29, 2011
West Jordan
You mentioned that you are using a T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM card or a straight up T-Mobile SIM card and it stopped working after the Kit Kat update?

I just want to confirm if the issue is Straight Talk LG G2 Kit Kat exclusive or LG G2 Kit Kat wide regardless of SIM / company.

I am using my regular T-mobile SIM card, not a straight talk SIM. And yes mms worked without a hitch on JB.

DanielMena9

Oct 31, 2010
I have the same issue, I am on AT&T. Cannot send or receive pictures through standard texting which was working good before kitkat update

Gah! So this is an LG / AT&T Kit Kat issue :/ its going to take forever to fix if there ever is a fix :(

I am going to walk to a store sometime and see if a display LG G2 updates for Kit Kat can send MMS

ScottsoNJ

Feb 26, 2014
Waretown
Straight Talk mms

I had the same problem everyone has mentioned. The reason is that after the KK update you couldn't enter the APN type. It is grayed out. You can enter every other setting on edit access point except APN type. So this is what you have to do.1.Use the LG Flash tool and flash back to the D80010d software. Do not let the phone take the q update. Do this 2..http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633150 after adding root and the custom recovery do this 3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2665391 So when you are finished you will be A. On Kit Kat, rooted but without a custom recovery and be able to add the APN type. I know this all sound like a big PITA but it doesn't really take all that long. None of this is anything I thought of. Please give a thanks to all the developers who put in all the hard work
Just figured out you have to set up the APN BEFORE flashing Kit Kat.

Last edited:
same issues with MMS

I am in the same boat with receiving and sending MMS after 4.4.2 update. I have the correct SIM card. Was working fine before the update. I still get 4G LTE data. But before the update there was no pre-existing APN's. Now there is an AT&T APN that cannot be deleted or modified. I have tried all different APN settings. Looks like AT&T has made it to where we have to go directly through them. So hopefully someone figures something out or looks like I'm gonna have to go to AT&T. It'll cost about $25 more a month but what's the point of having a smartphone if u can't do picture mail? Someone please get this figured out. Please.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION!!!

I finally found a solution for phones that cannot receive or send MMS messages on StraightTalk LG G2 after the kitkat update. Usually, the symptoms are indicated by the APN type being grayed out and stuck on "default". Ive tried many solutions including calling StraightTalk, replacing sims and trying different APNs to no avail. Finally, discoverered this last night...

What you first need to do is download APNsBU from the Play Store. Install, open, and click Backup APNs. Next get SQ Lite Editor from the app store, and run it. Go to Sdcard directory on the editor, then to .APNsBU, select myAPNs_Backup.db. Now click on carriers. You will see straighttalk listed as one of your apns. Slide to the right and edit the APN type for the Straightalk apn and put in the following "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota". Close out the program, go back to APNsBU and click on restore APNs. Now, restart your phone and you will note this has overrided the previous "default" type APN that was grayed out. You will now be able to send and receive MMS messages after the Kitkat update without factory resetting your phone and wiping data.

Enjoy!
    Straight Talk mms

I had the same problem everyone has mentioned. The reason is that after the KK update you couldn't enter the APN type. It is grayed out. You can enter every other setting on edit access point except APN type. So this is what you have to do.1.Use the LG Flash tool and flash back to the D80010d software. Do not let the phone take the q update. Do this 2..http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633150 after adding root and the custom recovery do this 3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2665391 So when you are finished you will be A. On Kit Kat, rooted but without a custom recovery and be able to add the APN type. I know this all sound like a big PITA but it doesn't really take all that long. None of this is anything I thought of. Please give a thanks to all the developers who put in all the hard work
    Just figured out you have to set up the APN BEFORE flashing Kit Kat.
    You do not need to downgrade to 4.2.2 to fix this issue but you do need to be rooted. Download SQ Lite Editor from the Play store. Open the path /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and click on the telephony.db file. That will open up a table that has all of the hidden and visible APNs that can be edited very easily, including the APN Type, which is disabled in the 4.4.2 phone menu. However, while you are editing in the table, the Auth Type needs to be changed to "0", if it's not already. I was having the same problem that everyone else is having and this fixed it. After you have saved your changes in SQ Lite Editor and closed the app, you'll need to toggle back and forth between the stock ATT APN and your Straight Talk APN and also reboot your phone. It took a few minutes for it to do its thing on my phone but my MMS service has returned NO THANKS to Straight Talk, got a ton of crap from them and no help. Just as an FYI, set the APN Type to be the same as the ATT stock APN type.
    Thanks a lot

I finally found a solution for phones that cannot receive or send MMS messages on StraightTalk LG G2 after the kitkat update. Usually, the symptoms are indicated by the APN type being grayed out and stuck on "default". Ive tried many solutions including calling StraightTalk, replacing sims and trying different APNs to no avail. Finally, discoverered this last night...

What you first need to do is download APNsBU from the Play Store. Install, open, and click Backup APNs. Next get SQ Lite Editor from the app store, and run it. Go to Sdcard directory on the editor, then to .APNsBU, select myAPNs_Backup.db. Now click on carriers. You will see straighttalk listed as one of your apns. Slide to the right and edit the APN type for the Straightalk apn and put in the following "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota". Close out the program, go back to APNsBU and click on restore APNs. Now, restart your phone and you will note this has overrided the previous "default" type APN that was grayed out. You will now be able to send and receive MMS messages after the Kitkat update without factory resetting your phone and wiping data.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much you had relieved a lot of stress off of my mind....thanks again.

I did some poking around in the the hidden menus that the launcher pro activities widget exploit opens up on the D800. But unfortunately I didn't mess with to much for fear of really messing something up. Hopefully the service ticket through at&t tech will yield some results.