[Q&A] [GAPPS][2015-06-01] Open GApps for Android 5.1, 5.0, 4.4

Search This thread

MastahF

Inactive Recognized Developer
@MastahF Is there any chance of including Google Connectivity Services in one of the packages? Project Fi wants to see GCS as a system app. I know Fi users are probably a pretty small percentage of the general community, but thought I'd inquire anyway. Thanks.

Hi, I am very interested in your findings about GCS requiring to be on /system/.
Could you post your results/findings and arguments in this issue: https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/issues/5
Then we can discuss the technical details about this and decide if we can include it in some way :)

Reactions: adrman

Romano2K

Feb 25, 2007
Paris
Hello!

Sorry for the delay, I've been on vacations.

It sounds like really weird behaviour, if pico flashes fine, and stock doesn't and you are sure that the downloaded ZIP file is not corrupt, and you get that error, best would be to approach the TWRP maintainer of your device.
I haven't contacted the TWRP maintainer, but I switched to CWM and I've been able to flash the stock ZIP with its config file flawlessly.

I was happy after flashing and disabling your updater (see the screenshot).

To get the name to be used by the universal remover: use a file-manager on your Android devices, navigate to /system/app (or sometimes /system/priv-app) and look at the foldername that the APK you'd like to remove resides in. Use this foldername as the keyword between the ( and ).
OK, thank you!

fehead

Sep 3, 2014
Seoul
I installed Open gaps pico version. but there is no google play.

My device is Atrix 4G. and android version 4.4.4

I installed Open gaps pico version(2015-09-14).
But there is no google play.
later I also installed Open gaps nano version(2015-09-14).
But It's Installed anything.

I tried three times.

Here is log and log file. http://fehead.linuxstudy.pe.kr/open_gapps_debug_logs.tar.gz

=============================
# Begin Open GApps Install Log
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROM Android Version | 4.4.4
ROM ID | cm_olympus-userdebug 4.4.4 KTU84Q 10f9605efb test-keys
ROM Version | 11-20150825-UNOFFICIAL-olympus
Device Recovery | CWM-based Recovery 6.0.5.1
Using Bundled XZdec | true
Device Name | olympus
Device Model | MB860
Device Type | phone
Device CPU | armeabi-v7a
getprop Density | 240
default.prop Density | 240
build.prop Density | 240
Display Density Used | 240dpi
Install Type | Dirty[Data NOT Wiped]
Google Camera Installed¹ | false
Google Keyboard Installed¹ | false
FaceUnlock Compatible | true
Google Camera Compatible | true
Current GApps Version | No GApps Installed
Installing GApps Version | 20150914
Installing GApps Type | pico
Config Type | [Default]
Using gapps-config | Not Used
Remove Stock/AOSP Browser | false[NO_Chrome]
Remove Stock/AOSP Clock |
Remove Stock/AOSP Email | false[NO_Gmail]
Remove Stock/AOSP Gallery | false[NO_Photos]
Remove Stock/AOSP Launcher | false[NO_GoogleNow]
Remove Stock/AOSP MMS App | false[NO_Hangouts]
Remove Stock/AOSP Pico TTS | false[NO_GoogleTTS]
Remove Stock/AOSP NFC Tag |
Remove Stock/AOSP WebView |
Total System Size (KB) | 1094564
Used System Space (KB) | 385352
Current Free Space (KB) | 709212
Post Install Free Space (KB) | 632380 << See Calculations Below
¹ Previously installed with Open GApps
# End Open GApps Install Log

# Begin GApps Size Calculations
TYPE | DESCRIPTION | SIZE | TOTAL
| Current Free Space | 709212 | 709212
Remove | Existing GApps | + 0 | 709212
Remove | Obsolete Files | + 8 | 709220
Install | Core² | - 66384 | 642836
Install | calsync³ | - 1240 | 641596
| Buffer Space² | - 9216 | 632380
Post Install Free Space | 632380
² Required (ALWAYS Installed)
³ Optional (may be removed)

# End GApps Size Calculations

# Begin User's gapps-config
*** NOT USED ***
# End User's gapps-config
=============================

MastahF

My device is Atrix 4G. and android version 4.4.4

I installed Open gaps pico version(2015-09-14).
But there is no google play.
later I also installed Open gaps nano version(2015-09-14).
But It's Installed anything.

I tried three times.

Here is log and log file. http://fehead.linuxstudy.pe.kr/open_gapps_debug_logs.tar.gz

I check the log and our recovery is (next to being officially unsupported) seriously outdated. Which is very probably the reason why the 'tar' command in you recovery is broken, because when the scripts call 'tar' it always receies the error
Code:
tar: short read
Illegal instruction
which results in not being able to extract the data from the compressed archives.

So please update your recovery, preferably to TWRP, and next time please read article #1 in the FAQ ( https://github.com/opengapps/openga...re-open-gapps-related-what-can-i-do-to-fix-it ) because it resolves 99% of the problems.

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

@MastahF how can I do the things you said??

About the Open GApps debug log, read the FAQ: https://github.com/opengapps/openga...stall-what-information-do-you-need-to-help-me
About getting a logcat: Logcat on Android (there are many tutorials available)

Reactions: fehead

HongJie Lin

May 27, 2015
Installation Failed

Hi, I really appreciate to have open gapps website, because it updates everyday. When I tried to update my cm 12.1 nightly on my moto e, the gapps installation failed. It says error code 70, and I don't know what to do. I haven't update my gapps for like 2 months, so I really need help. Thank You

MastahF

Hi, I really appreciate to have open gapps website, because it updates everyday. When I tried to update my cm 12.1 nightly on my moto e, the gapps installation failed. It says error code 70, and I don't know what to do. I haven't update my gapps for like 2 months, so I really need help. Thank You

Error 70 means that there is not enough space on /system/. Take look at the installation log to see the diskspace calculations.
You can use a gapps-config file to exclude some applications from installing on /system/ to reduce the installation size. Check the wiki (and the forums) for details how to do this: https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Advanced-Features-and-Options#the-gapps-config-file

davidbix

Sep 23, 2015
Question from a new OnePlus One owner who hadn't played around with custom ROMs only other devices (because I'm paranoid about violating the warranty on everything else but OnePlus put a more flexible warranty in place). Any time I've tried installing GApps on a custom ROM so far (I've tried Sultan's CM12.1 and Exodus), Hangouts wouldn't work properly. It would handle SMS fine, but it would never receive new messages from Hangouts/GChat. Installing a more bare version of GApps when I flashed and then installing Hangouts from the Google Play Store instead worked fine.

Is there any kind of known issue here? A fix I should be aware of so I can just make life easier and install a full GApps package the next time I need to?

Thanks!

Wiley3233

Sep 29, 2015
So i have twrp and tried to install gapps but when i go into the install wich apps (AROMA) i cant use the touch screen.
How do i fix

MastahF

Question from a new OnePlus One owner who hadn't played around with custom ROMs only other devices (because I'm paranoid about violating the warranty on everything else but OnePlus put a more flexible warranty in place). Any time I've tried installing GApps on a custom ROM so far (I've tried Sultan's CM12.1 and Exodus), Hangouts wouldn't work properly. It would handle SMS fine, but it would never receive new messages from Hangouts/GChat. Installing a more bare version of GApps when I flashed and then installing Hangouts from the Google Play Store instead worked fine.

Is there any kind of known issue here? A fix I should be aware of so I can just make life easier and install a full GApps package the next time I need to?
Hi, didn't hear of this issue before. But the issue would probably be in the ROM or within the Hangouts app itself, that doesn't play nice when it is installed on /system/.
What you maybe could try do is running a logcat when sending an SMS to yourself when having Hangouts installed via the GApps package, and try to see if we can catch any errors that are occuring. That could point in a direction to solve the problem.

So i have twrp and tried to install gapps but when i go into the install wich apps (AROMA) i cant use the touch screen.
How do i fix
LibAroma has known issues, because it is old and we are still waiting for a new version of it. You can try another TWRP version, sometimes up/downgrading helps. If it doesn't resolve the issue, you'll have to wait until the new libaroma is released and use a manual created gapps-config for now.

kchaisu

Jan 27, 2014
Bangkok
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Hi Mastahf,
I have a problem on stock browser and webview of which the apps conflicted to each other, so I removed these apps from CM-12.1-sagaopt when open-gapps-pico.zip was istalled by gapps-conifg. Then I have introduced a problem on adding google account to my system on google play service has topped working: I am wondering how should I get google webview addon to install to the system in addition to the gapps. I know that I could solve this problem by install some other gapps, but I love open gapps as it is daily updated.
Before asking you, I have tried several ways to solve my problem such as using apk file install via adb by PC, using TWRP terminal emulater without success. I forget to tell you that I also removed stock file manager as well. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

MastahF

Hi Mastahf,
I have a problem on stock browser and webview of which the apps conflicted to each other, so I removed these apps from CM-12.1-sagaopt when open-gapps-pico.zip was istalled by gapps-conifg. Then I have introduced a problem on adding google account to my system on google play service has topped working: I am wondering how should I get google webview addon to install to the system in addition to the gapps. I know that I could solve this problem by install some other gapps, but I love open gapps as it is daily updated.
Before asking you, I have tried several ways to solve my problem such as using apk file install via adb by PC, using TWRP terminal emulater without success. I forget to tell you that I also removed stock file manager as well. Thank you very much.

You could try flashing the "stock" package with a gapps-config file using the "Include" directive, as described in https://github.com/opengapps/openga...tions#include-and-exclude-google-applications, and use it to include WebviewGoogle. I know it is a much larger download then pico, but the only practical solution at the moment if you want Google's Webview on your /system/ partition.

kchaisu

Jan 27, 2014
Bangkok
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
You could try flashing the "stock" package with a gapps-config file using the "Include" directive, as described in https://github.com/opengapps/openga...tions#include-and-exclude-google-applications, and use it to include WebviewGoogle. I know it is a much larger download then pico, but the only practical solution at the moment if you want Google's Webview on your /system/ partition.
Thanks MasyahF for your prompt reply. I used to flash Stock Gapps using exclude/include function as well, but the file size is rather big which consumes long downloading time. So I shall have to install either google-webview or file manager after flashing barebone ROM the first boot up and then flashed Pico gapps later. Thank you very much for your advice.

raptir

May 4, 2010
Hi, didn't hear of this issue before. But the issue would probably be in the ROM or within the Hangouts app itself, that doesn't play nice when it is installed on /system/.
What you maybe could try do is running a logcat when sending an SMS to yourself when having Hangouts installed via the GApps package, and try to see if we can catch any errors that are occuring. That could point in a direction to solve the problem.

I reported this issue a while back but never got an answer. It cropped up during the last major interface update to Hangouts. I managed to work around it by logging out of Hangouts and logging back in. That said, it does not occur on the same ROM with another Gapps package that includes Hangouts...

i-cuz

Apr 24, 2013
After updating gapps I get this during every boot:

Code:
Android is upgrading...
-----------------------
Optimizing app 1 of 20.

Usually this message appears when updating or after wiping the dalvik cache.

I updated from open_gapps-arm-4.4-pico-20150830 to open_gapps-arm-4.4-pico-20151008.

Switching back to the old one, the error disappears.

Before understanding that it was gapps I wiped all caches and installed the ROM again.

Device is GT-I8160 with AOSP 4.4.4 J-TEAM.

Any clues?

@MastahF : sorry I didn't see I can post here, btw it keeps doing it at every boot, I didn't touch anymore the dalvik cache and the old gapps are ok

MastahF

After updating gapps I get this during every boot:

Code:
Android is upgrading...
-----------------------
Optimizing app 1 of 20.

Usually this message appears when updating or after wiping the dalvik cache.

I updated from open_gapps-arm-4.4-pico-20150830 to open_gapps-arm-4.4-pico-20151008.

Switching back to the old one, the error disappears.

Before understanding that it was gapps I wiped all caches and installed the ROM again.

Device is GT-I8160 with AOSP 4.4.4 J-TEAM.

Any clues?

@MastahF : sorry I didn't see I can post here, btw it keeps doing it at every boot, I didn't touch anymore the dalvik cache and the old gapps are ok

Could you attach the debug log of the installation? Also, if possible, could try to get a logcat of the bootprocess?

i-cuz

Apr 24, 2013
Here the logs, I'm not home until tuesday and I can't do a logcat

d-h.st/NbGH
d-h.st/2NZr

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

I don't see anything useful in the logs but I have no idea about how the installation process works :D

I was reading some things around the web and I think it could be something about permissions :confused:

Apache0c

Aug 3, 2010
SoCal
Any idea why I'm getting stuck with the Google camera even when I opted out of it in the Open Gapps Aroma install?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    20151219.zip:
    Code:
    Installation error in /sideload/package.zip
    (Status 255)
    Installation aborted.

So with that package actually the verification was OK again. But CM recovery has replaced their busybox with a still half-broken 'Toybox' that doesn't like our /usr/bin/ash line and demands /usr/bin/sh
    It is updated in the source and I have forced that a new ARM build will be created coming night, that should resolve this issue for you.
    I have just clean-installed the latest cm12.1 nightly (march 18th) for Moto-G (2015) on my device, followed by the latest 5.1 Aroma package.
    The installation went fine. No errors. After restarting my phone, I keep getting a notification of "com.google.process.gapps has stopped", and I can't really use my phone.
    I tried repeating the process, with and without wiping data/cache/dalvik/system, with and without reinstalling the ROM. Nothing seems to change.
    My log files are here and here.

I also see the following exception in my logcat:

Thank you for your help.
    Last night I added dex2oat experimental code that doesn't seem to work nice on all 5.x ROMs. I adjusted it to be 6.0+ only, so please try with tomorrow's build again, probably the problem will be gone. If you need to have it work now, you can use the this keyword: https://github.com/opengapps/openga...es-and-Options#skip-smart-pre-odexing-of-apks
    I use open_gapps-arm-6.0-pico and I have AOSP keyboard FC with gesture typing. This gapps don't have libjni_latinimegoogle.so.
    Are there plans to include a libjni_latinimegoogle.so in the gapps_pico?
    Yes this the plan, but we have to fix some lib-handling in the scripts per android version, which is not implemented yet.

Aroma 6.0 not working in cm 13 sultanxda rom. Pico works fine. Aroma freezes in "installing"
    Aroma GApps 5.1.1 is not working on my TWRP (osprey). Is this a problem specific to my phone or...?
    Aroma has known issues. We are dependent of the release of a new libaroma of the Aroma developer. We can't fix it ourselves unfortunately. Try to use the non-aroma packages instead.

Is there a reason why the Google Dialer has been removed from the Stock pacakge? I have a Nexus 6P and I'm not sure how to get it back.
    Google Dialer didn't work on most ROMs, we are still trying to figure out why with some other devs, but for now it is not in the package. If you wipe /system/, flash your ROM and then Open GApps you should be fine!

Okay, I know this most likely has been asked before. Is it possible to create a gapps package that installs all the gapps possible leaving necessary amount of space to /system partition for Android to operate and install the rest of the apps that didn't fit in the /system to /data partition?

Or is it possible to resize the /system partition of Nexus 5 to acommodate full stock gapps package? This is a bit iffier solution but eh.
    I just enjoy having a full gapps package that removes all the stock AOSP apps and CM apps that have their equivalent in gapps package. The picking and choosing what to install into /system and what not leaves me weird - now I have to go to play store and download the app and... Dunno.
    Nope, sorry this isn't easily possible. And we rather don't mess with the /data/ partition to prevent damaging any of the user's data. Try to pick a GApps version that matches the size of your system partition, and if you want to replace AOPS with CM apps you can use stock with a gapps-config file or aroma. Apps that don't fit on your system you can install via the Play Store on your data partition instead.

Please excuse me for this newbie question. Had downloaded the Aroma zip. I just want to install Google Backup Transport as I had installed all others through Gapps Installer.
    When I flash the zip through TWRP recovery, will there be options to choose ? I don't want to flash other google apks. I couldn't find the answer in the whole thread.
    No sorry, that isn't possible. You can't combine Open GApps with any other GApps. So make sure you don't have any GApps installed before flasing Open GApps.
    @MastahF @TKruzze @raulx222 @Rapper_skull @osm0sis
    Hi I use Android One device by google... In stock i was having FaceUnlock
    but after moving to CM i was not able to install it using ANY gapps packge

so i was looking for whats wrong
    And here is what i found

After skimming through update-binary and update-script of your and others' gapps packages i observed that it check for android.camera.harware.front.xml for front camera compatibility
    but some devices(like mine) have front camera compatibility mentioned in android.hardware.camera.xml

So even if there devices are compatible , they will be shown incompatible because of this checking method

Hope you improve it soon to fix this issue
    i'm attaching my phone's system/etc/permissions zip so that you can have a look at it
    Its from stock and they have mentioned front camera compatibility in android.hardware.camera.xml
    @MastahF @TKruzze @raulx222 @Rapper_skull @osm0sis
    Hi I use Android One device by google... In stock i was having FaceUnlock
    but after moving to CM i was not able to install it using ANY gapps packge

so i was looking for whats wrong
    And here is what i found

After skimming through update-binary and update-script of your and others' gapps packages i observed that it check for android.camera.harware.front.xml for front camera compatibility
    but some devices(like mine) have front camera compatibility mentioned in android.hardware.camera.xml

So even if there devices are compatible , they will be shown incompatible because of this checking method

Hope you improve it soon to fix this issue
    i'm attaching my phone's system/etc/permissions zip so that you can have a look at it
    Its from stock and they have mentioned front camera compatibility in android.hardware.camera.xml

Thank you for your input and research!

I fixed the code and am testing it now. If it works I will commit it and you'll be able to find it in tomorrow's nightly.