I can't find this answer.... Chromecast in my truck!

Search This thread

byronthepirate

Oct 21, 2007
I have a screen in my truck that has HDMI input...i used to use mhl adapter to watch kodi tv on long trips. After upgrading phones. Mhl no longer works. So I bought a Chromecast for my truck. Is there a way I can use my chromecast....im guessing V3 without wifi so I can stream kodi(localcast) from my phone on trips?

mrtouchy

Nov 2, 2010
I'd like to know too. I'm the exact same situation. Not sure if I need a custom Rom or what.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Is there a different device I could use to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Just a simple cast device?
Well I think you are on the right track with Kodi...It can be installed on a FireTV stick (or box) with a remote that doesn't require a wireless router to control the unit.

The FireTV Box is better than the stick as it has a USB port to allow you to plug in a Hard Drive that holds your media. I believe Localcast works on the FireTV system.
Or you could get an Android box, load localcast onto that unit and your phone should be able to send streams to it also.

Chromecast is just too dependent on Internet and WiFi to be a useful device in Mobile Situations without Mobile Data Router installed in the Vehicle. That is why I added a Verizon WiFi Puck to my account which fits in a Pocket and gives me WiFi Internet no matter where I am as long as there is a Cell Tower around. Now that they have Unlimited Service again it really is worth investing in.

byronthepirate

Oct 21, 2007
Well I think you are on the right track with Kodi...It can be installed on a FireTV stick (or box) with a remote that doesn't require a wireless router to control the unit.

The FireTV Box is better than the stick as it has a USB port to allow you to plug in a Hard Drive that holds your media. I believe Localcast works on the FireTV system.
Or you could get an Android box, load localcast onto that unit and your phone should be able to send streams to it also.

Chromecast is just too dependent on Internet and WiFi to be a useful device in Mobile Situations without Mobile Data Router installed in the Vehicle. That is why I added a Verizon WiFi Puck to my account which fits in a Pocket and gives me WiFi Internet no matter where I am as long as there is a Cell Tower around. Now that they have Unlimited Service again it really is worth investing in.

Will local cast work without wifi? If so I'm about to order a firestick.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
Well, there is a bug (assigned and scheduled for a fix) in Google Play Services that breaks being able to cast and use hotspot on the same device. You can use an old version of Play Services if you are rooted. Otherwise you need two devices.

Having said that, I have unlimited data, but I have found that you can use your hotspot so the Chromecast works, but then use Plex to stream locally synced content. This way you don't use your cell data plan.

I actually use a Chomecast Audio in my car since it's way better sounding than Bluetooth for music. So I am all for unconventional means :)

If you have no intention of storing movies on your phone, you could Plex sync the content to an Android tablet then stream from there. Or you can run a mini Plex server on a PI and cast it to your Chromecast in your car without using data. The only time the internet would be used is when the Chromecast wants to update it's firmware.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

As for Localcast, you can store the data on anything that is DLNA compliant machine/box in your car or SMB share (like a PI box), then just fling it to your Chromecast.