[MOD][XPOSED][EOL] NoMapTips - For those of us who know what we're doing.

Search This thread

Kevin M

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
NoMapTips has been marked end of life. While it remains available, the module has served its purpose and is no longer being updated. Google has added equivalent functionality built directly into Maps. Happy navigating! Another workaround.

... Annnnd we're back.

Code:
NoMapTips is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

Introduction
The location accuracy tips dialog in Google Maps is annoying. You know what you're doing. Ignore that thing. Once and for all.

Featured on XDA Xposed Tuesday!

Images
NewTipsDialog.png

Never again.

Features
  • You'll never see that horrible thing again. Even if your GPS is off.
  • You'll forget you installed it.
  • Theoretically less likely to crash your car...

Installation
  1. Make certain you're on a supported version of Google Maps.
  2. Install the module by a) searching for it in the Xposed Installer or b) manually through the APK provided on GitHub or the Xposed website.
  3. Enable the module in the Xposed Installer.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Give it a spin! A very easy way to make this dialog appear is to turn off all location services and disable WiFi. Then tap the location accuracy tips preference in the Settings. No dialog? Good.

Changelog
See the GitHub repository for the definitive changelog.
Code:
v2.2-31c370b - 22 Apr 2015 - Stable
------------
This release adds support for Maps 9.7.1! Please note that while the
"optimal location" toast notification will no longer appear you
should continue to be location tip free.

Code:
v2.1-8fa0a32 - 21 Mar 2015 - Stable
------------
Google Maps will now always report optimal location accuracy settings.
Even if all possible location services are off. Goodbye dialogs!
Code:
v2.0-b0c9edc - 21 Mar 2015 - Stable
------------
NoMapTips is back! Unfortunately. What's new?
* Support for Google Maps 9.5.1 and 9.6.0
* New default Android icon
* Continued support for Maps 8, 9.0, and 9.1 for those of you (none?)
  still using them.
Code:
v1.4-42f1ab2 - 26 Nov 2014 - Stable
------------
Support for Google Maps 9.1
Code:
v1.3-4c4e802 - 14 Nov 2014 - Stable
------------
NoMapTips now supports both Google Maps 8 and Maps 9 users. Feel free
to upgrade. :)
Code:
v1.2-0833439 - 08 Nov 2014 - Stable
------------
This version supports the new Google Maps 9 on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
and up.
Code:
v1.1-a87b471 - 06 Nov 2014 - Stable
------------
Updated for Google Maps 9. Do not update this module if you have not
yet received the Google Maps update. Easiest way to tell? Material
Design. :)
Code:
v1.0-348872a - 03 Oct 2014 - Stable
------------
Initial release.

Downloads

FAQ
Q: NoMapTips isn't working for me. What can I do?
A: Oh dear. If you're familiar with GitHub, creating a new issue is a great option. If not, posting right in this thread isn't a bad idea either. The more information you include in your bug report the easier (and faster) it will be for me or someone else to help. What kind of info? Your Xposed log (found in the Xposed Installer), your version of Google Maps, your version of NoMapTips and your version of Android is often enough to get started. Please be kind and courteous to anyone offering assistance.

Q: How about a new feature?
A: NoMapTips is great, if I do say so myself, which I do, because it does one particular thing and does it very well with zero unnecessary overhead. Unless the feature request is "hide some more map tips" I'd have to say no.

Credits
  • rovo89 - Creator of one of the most useful tools Android has ever seen: Xposed.

Licensing
Copyright © 2014-2015 Kevin Mark. NoMapTips is licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 3, which can be found in LICENSE.md

Mentions
Thank you!

XDA:DevDB Information
NoMapTips, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Kevin M
Source Code: https://github.com/kmark/NoMapTips

Xposed Package Name: com.versobit.kmark.nomaptips

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v2.2-31c370b
Stable Release Date: 2015-04-22

Created 2014-10-03
Last Updated 2016-04-12

Attachments

• NewTipsDialog.png
    NewTipsDialog.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 944

natezire71

Mar 24, 2010
If you made this due to a reddit post on /r/xposed, that was me, and I thank you. You're awesome.

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
Thank you!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

I do...

I always leave WiFi on anymore...

It helps locating me when I am in Philadelphia or New York City... Where GPS might not find you due to tall buildings... But there are like 10 bazillion WiFi networks
True it helps but I also don't like having my WiFi connect automatically to work. So I have to turn it off.

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Just a quick note, this also turns off the dialog when the location settings are non-optimal. Like battery saver mode (or GPS being off completely). I could differentiate between the two but I assume you know what you're doing. ;)

Reactions: thor1k

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
Haven't installed it yet but hope it works. Keeping WiFi on is a not well thought out option to use maps. I can't begin to list how many networks that I've used that require web authentication in order to use their WiFi network. I can't begin to say how frustrating it is when I'm driving, your phone picks up one of these saved networks, tries to connect and gets no internet connection. Looking forward to trying it out

Now if only it is possible to turn off the "feature" that disconnects you from a WiFi network (e.g. WiFi at Starbucks, Xfinity hotspots, wholefoods, Lowe's, Ikea, home depot), telling you that it might not be stable before you even have a chance to try and authenticate through a webpage

Keep up the good work!

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Now if only it is possible to turn off the "feature" that disconnects you from a WiFi network (e.g. WiFi at Starbucks, Xfinity hotspots, wholefoods, Lowe's, Ikea, home depot), telling you that it might not be stable before you even have a chance to try and authenticate through a webpage

Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Menu -> Advanced -> Avoid poor connections -> Uncheck :good:

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Thanks but not an available option in my 4.3 Root 66 rom

Oh, stock then? It's probably some rom-specific code/app that I wouldn't have access to. Unless someone with your phone can take a look the only other fix would be to install a new rom, which may not be possible. Sorry.

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
Oh, stock then? It's probably some rom-specific code/app that I wouldn't have access to. Unless someone with your phone can take a look the only other fix would be to install a new rom, which may not be possible. Sorry.
Yeah, stock with root injected. I would go with a different SGS3 Rom if I knew of a good one that worked work t-mobile WiFi calling

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NoMapTips has been marked end of life. While it remains available, the module has served its purpose and is no longer being updated. Google has added equivalent functionality built directly into Maps. Happy navigating! Another workaround.

... Annnnd we're back.

Code:
    NoMapTips is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

Introduction
    The location accuracy tips dialog in Google Maps is annoying. You know what you're doing. Ignore that thing. Once and for all.

Featured on XDA Xposed Tuesday!

Images

Features
    • You'll never see that horrible thing again. Even if your GPS is off.
    • You'll forget you installed it.
    • Theoretically less likely to crash your car...

Installation
    1. Make certain you're on a supported version of Google Maps.
    2. Install the module by a) searching for it in the Xposed Installer or b) manually through the APK provided on GitHub or the Xposed website.
    3. Enable the module in the Xposed Installer.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Give it a spin! A very easy way to make this dialog appear is to turn off all location services and disable WiFi. Then tap the location accuracy tips preference in the Settings. No dialog? Good.

Changelog
    See the GitHub repository for the definitive changelog.
    Code:
    v2.2-31c370b - 22 Apr 2015 - Stable
    ------------
    This release adds support for Maps 9.7.1! Please note that while the
    "optimal location" toast notification will no longer appear you
    should continue to be location tip free.

Code:
    v2.1-8fa0a32 - 21 Mar 2015 - Stable
    ------------
    Google Maps will now always report optimal location accuracy settings.
    Even if all possible location services are off. Goodbye dialogs!
    Code:
    v2.0-b0c9edc - 21 Mar 2015 - Stable
    ------------
    NoMapTips is back! Unfortunately. What's new?
    * Support for Google Maps 9.5.1 and 9.6.0
    * New default Android icon
    * Continued support for Maps 8, 9.0, and 9.1 for those of you (none?)
      still using them.
    Code:
    v1.4-42f1ab2 - 26 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    Support for Google Maps 9.1
    Code:
    v1.3-4c4e802 - 14 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    NoMapTips now supports both Google Maps 8 and Maps 9 users. Feel free
    to upgrade. :)
    Code:
    v1.2-0833439 - 08 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    This version supports the new Google Maps 9 on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
    and up.
    Code:
    v1.1-a87b471 - 06 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    Updated for Google Maps 9. Do not update this module if you have not
    yet received the Google Maps update. Easiest way to tell? Material
    Design. :)
    Code:
    v1.0-348872a - 03 Oct 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    Initial release.

Downloads

FAQ
    Q: NoMapTips isn't working for me. What can I do?
    A: Oh dear. If you're familiar with GitHub, creating a new issue is a great option. If not, posting right in this thread isn't a bad idea either. The more information you include in your bug report the easier (and faster) it will be for me or someone else to help. What kind of info? Your Xposed log (found in the Xposed Installer), your version of Google Maps, your version of NoMapTips and your version of Android is often enough to get started. Please be kind and courteous to anyone offering assistance.

Q: How about a new feature?
    A: NoMapTips is great, if I do say so myself, which I do, because it does one particular thing and does it very well with zero unnecessary overhead. Unless the feature request is "hide some more map tips" I'd have to say no.

Credits
    • rovo89 - Creator of one of the most useful tools Android has ever seen: Xposed.

Licensing
    Copyright © 2014-2015 Kevin Mark. NoMapTips is licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 3, which can be found in LICENSE.md

Mentions
    Thank you!

XDA:DevDB Information
    NoMapTips, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Kevin M
    Source Code: https://github.com/kmark/NoMapTips

Xposed Package Name: com.versobit.kmark.nomaptips

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v2.2-31c370b
    Stable Release Date: 2015-04-22

Created 2014-10-03
    Last Updated 2016-04-12
    v2.0-b0c9edc

NoMapTips is back, ladies and gentlemen. As of Google Maps 9.5.1 there is an incredibly annoying "tip" whenever you tap the compass / "locate me" button that looks something like this:
    NewTipsDialog.png

If you tap cancel so it will not change your location settings you will be refused the functionality you requested. This is even worse than before! This dialog could be other places but I have not checked. Google Maps wants to force you to turn on WiFi even when it's off.

Please note that there is still a (different) dialog if you do not have your location settings set to "High accuracy" or "Device only." I have chosen not to remove this dialog for now because Maps is pretty much useless if you do not have either of those options set. Especially navigation. In fact, generally speaking, you probably do want one of those two location settings activated while using Maps. The dialog I disabled is for WiFi and interferes with otherwise unhindered usages of the application.

The above is no longer true as of v2.1. :)

After installing NoMapTips, tap the Location accuracy tips option in the settings. You'll be greeted by this lovely little message assuming you have normal location services on:
    AlreadyOpt.png

Enjoy!
    I had no idea this was so highly requested. I never spent any time in /r/xposed until today. The notification just really started to piss me off. :p Good to see others find it useful.
    v1.1-a87b471

Update for Google Maps 9 is now live. Please refrain from updating the module if you have not yet received (or downloaded) the newest version of Maps. :)
    Yep, it looks like the Maps team at Google heard us. One way or another. Thanks, everyone!

GoodMapTip.png