ROM Developers: Please switch to ext3 for a2sd!

Search This thread

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
did you try my boot.img? it's based off the US build .. not sure if the boot.img matters
Is your modified u.s. boot.img compatible with the adp rom?
I think you're the first person to call it "bloated" :confused:

I'm just bad at wording it. It's definitely not bloated. It just doesn't fit my needs. I just want a basic rom that is rooted, can do a2sd, and with no extra apps. If I wanted the extra apps, I would push them into the rom myself. But now I need a boot.img to support ext3 and safely unmounts it when shutting down.

This doesn't mean I don't appreciate your hard work.

edit: I just flashed Unitas boot.img that was based off the US rom and it works on the ADP as well. #mount shows that it's mounted as ext3 with noatime.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    99% of the problems users are having with Apps2SD are caused by the unclean shutdown of the ext2 filesystem, because Android does not unmount it when rebooting or shutting down the system, and there are no tools on the device to fsck the filesystem on boot. Ext3 is journaled and this isn't an issue because the journal will simply replay on boot.

I'd like to put an end to this.

Attached is e2fsprogs (tune2fs, e2fsck, resize2fs, and mke2fs) built for Android/ARM. You should also use the "-t auto" mount option so that it's still backwards compatible with ext2.

To convert your ext2 to ext3, you can simply run "tune2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk0p2" after you have these tools on your device, and reboot (assuming your ramdisk allows for mounting as "auto"). You should unmount and e2fsck the partition first, if it's not been checked for errors.

Step by step by neoobs
    Directions for what I did:

1. unzip e2fsprogs
    2. type
    Code:
    adb remount
    3. Download lucids script (search it)
    4. type
    Code:
    adb shell
    5. type
    Code:
    adb push e2fsprogs/system /system
    6. type
    Code:
    lucid rem
    7. reboot into recovery
    8. type
    Code:
    adb shell
    9. type
    Code:
    mount system
    10. type
    Code:
    e2fsck /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    11. type
    Code:
    tune2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    42. type
    Code:
    reboot

All done
    Do I do this BEFORE trying to install the Hero Rosie rom?

Do it after so that when you flash the Hero ROM it won't overwrite the boot.img if you had flashed it before the ROM

You need to do a 'busybox mount' instead of plain mount, because the built in mount command doesn't support the 'auto' type. Even if you're stuck at the boot you can run this command via adb shell and you'll see the phone will finish booting (once dalvik-cache becomes available again).

Wow. Okay I will repack another boot.img with 'busybox mount' and post results later after work.

It does makes sense but my phone was already able to use the ext3 partition without the modded boot.img. So it was pointless for me to flash that boot image?

So what I think you're saying is that I didn't have to do anything since my phone had a fresh rom install, fresh ext3 partitioned sd card, and everything was mounted already? (I'm using symlinks to run my apps and dalvik-cache on sd).

The phone has ext3 built in but some ROMs explicitly mount with an '-t ext2' command. So even if you formatted your card to ext3 and android supports it, it is still using ext2. Unless the ROM you are using already had the '-t auto' command in the boot.img. Type 'mount' in treminal or 'adb shell mount' from your computer and see what filesystem your /system/sd partitioin is using.