[ICS AOSP ROM] "AOKP" (Android Open KANG Project) [BETA 03/11/2012]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
In an effort to spend less time uploading and administrating change logs, etc.. we've established nightlies for AOKP!

Included in the nightlies is a change log for deciding if it's the right time to update your build.

Of course with any major updates, I'll try and hit the forums and post it. :)

So check out the OP with the new information.

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
so this one is better than cm9?

thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "better" exactly, but AOKP has a better (in my opinion) pulldown menu with their toggles, some theming options (clock, battery bar, and signal color and style change), and has more themes available for it at the moment. Mind you, all of the themes are for the GNex, but with a free 5 minutes, you can make those themes compatible with the D3 port. "Better" is really all subject to opinion, but I feel AOKP fills all my needs...mind you, I haven't been on CM9 since Alpha 7, so I can't speak to how the betas are performing, or what extra features may have been added outside of the camera. Hope this helps. :)

D3 AOKP b27

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I'm not sure what you mean by "better" exactly, but AOKP has a better (in my opinion) pulldown menu with their toggles, some theming options (clock, battery bar, and signal color and style change), and has more themes available for it at the moment. Mind you, all of the themes are for the GNex, but with a free 5 minutes, you can make those themes compatible with the D3 port. "Better" is really all subject to opinion, but I feel AOKP fills all my needs...mind you, I haven't been on CM9 since Alpha 7, so I can't speak to how the betas are performing, or what extra features may have been added outside of the camera. Hope this helps. :)

D3 AOKP b27

How do you port a theme?
Sent from my XT862 using xda premium

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011

D3 AOKP b27

But does it work on GSM?

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Needs more GSM testers.

BUT, the Global Phone menu is enabled and it has the same APN list w/ all of the frameworks/phone changes in CM9 to make GSM work there.

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
How do you port a theme?
Sent from my XT862 using xda premium

It's really easy actually. Just download the theme zip that fits your ROM build (check the Galaxy Nexus themes section). Use a file explorer, like Root Explorer to extract the contents from the zip, and go into that extracted folder, and remove the framework. Then re-zip that folder, and you'll be able to flash it. Now, you're NOT going to get ALL the theme's elements with the framework removed, but you'll get the status bar, system ui, and some apps (dialer, people, and market etc) if the dev has themed them. I've been doing this with Nitroz's themes for a while now, and I'm waiting on a version of Un-Blacked Out for build 27...I would have posted them, but I only had one person express any interest, so I didn't bother. And just for clarification, they aren't really ports...it's just a "mod" of sorts, in order to get the theme to work on a basic level. Hope this helps...PM me if you need any additional information. :)

D3 AOKP b27

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Heads up: the Keyboard fix did not go into today's nightly (done manually this afternoon). There was some sync issues on that server.

@collinjm01: just cache? or data/cache/dalvik-cache?

pm2gonzales

Oct 16, 2011
I'm doing a fresh install from Steel Droid 3. I keep getting the error "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped". It keeps popping up every few seconds. I am assuming this is because I am a GSM user. Do any other GSM user have work arounds or similar issues/fixes?

EDIT: While posting this I actually found a work around. If you are GSM, boot up your phone without the SIM card. Go to Wireless & Networks > Mobile operators, and disable Data. I don't use data so I don't have a problem with it, but others might. Put your SIM card back in a reboot, and you shouldn't have any other problems (I hope).

pm2gonzales

Oct 16, 2011
The market doesn't work. I've cleared cache

Sent from my XT862 using XDA App

I have the same issue, the first time I started up the market app, it closed and the shortcut disappeared (both on homepage and in the app drawer) so I have no direct link to it. If I tried accessing the APP from the BROWSER, it would force close. You can still access the market on the site from the browser and that works fine.

verkerria

Mar 13, 2011
That's because the market updated, its called Play now. You will probably have to wait until Cyanogen gets a hold of these apps and fixes for rom use before they will work right again, sucks

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA

Last edited:

haztv

Jun 1, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
I was just about to flash this until I saw the no market post.... its not possible to just instal the play apk that was posted on Droid Life over the gaaps market app?

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

jjhiza

Dec 19, 2010
Dirty Jersey
Wouldn't doing a TiBu of the new apps (music, market, books, and video) allow you to simply flash a new ROM, download TiBu with the old Market, and then just restore things like you normally would? An old set of Gapps shouldn't be a deal breaker quite yet.

D3 AOKP

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** NEW BLOG SITE: http://blog.hash-of-codes.com ***

AUTOMATIC NIGHTLIES ARE HERE

GET GAPPS HERE (Choose "CyanogenMod 9.0.x" Link)

DON'T LET GOOGLE RESTORE YOUR SETTINGS WHEN INSTALLING THIS ROM COMING FROM GINGERBREAD

Changelogs:

Automatic STS-Dev-Team Development Log

Android is all about choices. And here's another choice for AOSP ROM:

"AOKP" (Android Open KANG Project) is a built from source ROM similar to CyanogenMod (but different).
    I didn't create AOKP, I only ported it to the Droid 3.

You can visit the AOKP website here:
    http://forum.aokp.co/

Their developers include: Roman, Zaphod-Beeblebrox, Whitehawkx, and more.
    The future of AOKP is quite bright as new features are popping up all the time.

DON'T LET GOOGLE RESTORE YOUR SETTINGS WHEN INSTALLING THIS ROM COMING FROM GINGERBREAD

GITHUB sources are here:
    https://github.com/o...ns/STS-Dev-Team

FOR DEVS: You can check out the local_manifest.xml for getting this ROM up and running here:
    https://github.com/STS-Dev-Team/android_local_STS/tree/ics-aokp

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
    Better Camera function (FFC, Face detect, etc in progress)
    HW Video Codecs (in progress)
    Bluetooth on but not connected = loss of all audio (in progress)

ENJOY!

Screenshots:
    AOKP-Settings_480.png
    AOKP-ROMControl_480.png
    AOKP-Toggles_480.png
    cm-9-20120815-UNOFFICIAL-solana- http://www.mediafire.com/?32qdljchw8n11af

aokp_solana_milestone-6-20120725- http://www.mediafire.com/?k33emb3uxphnbf9

Gummy_solana-Release-2012-07-06-08_27- http://www.mediafire.com/?56qr0dl018btda3

This are all latest non kexec builds

Hope I helped you :)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2
    Over the next week or 2, I'm going back over each device to see if I can make some changes in how wifi and bluetooth work.

I know these are fairly big problem areas in the ROMs. But the changes require new kernel modules to be built and some new configurations to test, so I just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for being patient.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA
    KNOWN ISSUES:

Camera: FFC, and ICS functions are in progress
    HW Codecs: in progress
    GSM Data issues
    Vibrate issues?
    I have a new build up for AOKP D3 (it's build 29 tho):

http://rombot.droidhive.com/ROMs/solana/aokp/DROID3-AOKP-04-06-SELFKANG.zip
    md5sum: a839130448efe9db0ab5c509192fdf12

This fixes the bluetooth issue which has been plaguing the build for a while now.

However, build 30 is RIGHT around the corner. So you may want to hold off till that drops, and I'll update the OP as well then.

In general the AOKP build has been a train wreck since the 4.0.4 merge. It has to do with how AOKP is pulling from AOSP on the master branch (so changes come in every day which aren't sync'd up with the rest of the build).

I've tried to patch it up as best I can for now, till AOKP gets done rebasing all of their gits to the "ics" branch name and then fixes the manifest.xml to pull from the AOSP 4.0.4_r1.1 tagged AOSP projects.

So, hopefully we see some steady nightly builds again.

I'll look at the long press home button tonight. It was 3am when I called it quits last night after getting the build fixed for all of our phones (they didn't have the bluetooth problem, but it wasn't compiling due to the AOSP issues).

Let me know if this new build has any new issues.