[Q] Root T-Mobile M8 Without Custom Recovery?

Search This thread

CMP27240

Aug 7, 2011
Hi all, this may or may not be a popular question, i'm fairly new here, so i'll get right to the point.
I have the T-Mobile variant of the HTC One M8 and all i want is root access for apps on the app-store that can't run without it. I don't want to do a custom recovery, or overwrite any kernels or anything. Just root access. Is this even possible? If not, can someone explain to me why?
Any help is appreciated.

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
Hi all, this may or may not be a popular question, i'm fairly new here, so i'll get right to the point.
I have the T-Mobile variant of the HTC One M8 and all i want is root access for apps on the app-store that can't run without it. I don't want to do a custom recovery, or overwrite any kernels or anything. Just root access. Is this even possible? If not, can someone explain to me why?
Any help is appreciated.

Hmmm, I'm not sure it will definitely work, but you can:
fastboot boot recovery.img
And then use that to flash the super user zip.

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
So how would I go about that?

I believe you need an unlocked bootloader first, if your device has an unlocked bootloader then:

If you have the Android SDK platform downloaded and installed on your PC then just download a custom recovery and place it in the platform-tools folder.

Open a command prompt: Either open one and change directory to platform-tools folder(where recovery is) or hold shift, right click in folder and then click on "open command prompt/window here".

Connect your device to your PC(You should have all HTC drivers installed, can be done with HTC sync manager).
Type: adb devices should show you your serial number for the device then you know it picked it up.
Type: adb reboot bootloader - Phone will then reboot into bootloader mode.
Type: fastboot boot name_of_custom_recovery.img

Custome recovery of your choice(TWRP or CWM Philz) will then boot up, flash the root program(SuperSU for example) reboot phone.
Done.

Reactions: CMP27240

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I believe you need an unlocked bootloader first, if your device has an unlocked bootloader then:

If you have the Android SDK platform downloaded and installed on your PC then just download a custom recovery and place it in the platform-tools folder.

Open a command prompt: Either open one and change directory to platform-tools folder(where recovery is) or hold shift, right click in folder and then click on "open command prompt/window here".

Connect your device to your PC(You should have all HTC drivers installed, can be done with HTC sync manager).
Type: adb devices should show you your serial number for the device then you know it picked it up.

Custome recovery of your choice(TWRP or CWM Philz) will then boot up, flash the root program(SuperSU for example) reboot phone.
Done.
Twrp automatically installs the su binary when you boot into it. When you reboot from within twrp it should ask if you want root access and install super su.
If not just install it from play.
You need to unlock your boot loader first.

flamendless

Jul 12, 2016

Done.

after fastboot boot recovery.img the phone boots normally and not into the custom recovery. Help

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
after fastboot boot recovery.img the phone boots normally and not into the custom recovery. Help

Not enough info. Do fastboot getvar all, and post the results (delete IMEI and serial number before posting).

Also, what version TWRP?

Also, unless your intent is to backup the stock recovery (of which most can be found in the stock recovery collection) there isn't much point in booting recovery (versus flashing it). Unless you have some other reason I'm not thinking of?

flamendless

Jul 12, 2016
Not enough info. Do fastboot getvar all, and post the results (delete IMEI and serial number before posting).

Also, what version TWRP?

Also, unless your intent is to backup the stock recovery (of which most can be found in the stock recovery collection) there isn't much point in booting recovery (versus flashing it). Unless you have some other reason I'm not thinking of?

(bootloader) max-download-size: 0x8000000
(bootloader) partition-size:flashinfo: 1000000
(bootloader) partition-type:flashinfo: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 32000000
(bootloader) partition-type:userdata: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:cache: 19000000
(bootloader) partition-type:cache: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:system: b3800000
(bootloader) partition-type:system: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:metadata: 2500000
(bootloader) partition-type:metadata: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:nvdata: 2000000
(bootloader) partition-type:nvdata: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:frp: 100000
(bootloader) partition-type:frp: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:tee2: 500000
(bootloader) partition-type:tee2: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:tee1: 500000
(bootloader) partition-type:tee1: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:keystore: 800000
(bootloader) partition-type:keystore: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:secro: 600000
(bootloader) partition-type:secro: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:eek:emkeystore: 200000
(bootloader) partition-type:eek:emkeystore: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:seccfg: 80000
(bootloader) partition-type:seccfg: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:expdb: a00000
(bootloader) partition-type:expdb: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:logo: 800000
(bootloader) partition-type:logo: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:recovery: 1000000
(bootloader) partition-type:recovery: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:boot: 1000000
(bootloader) partition-type:boot: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:para: 80000
(bootloader) partition-type:para: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:lk: 80000
(bootloader) partition-type:lk: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:protect2: a00000
(bootloader) partition-type:protect2: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:protect1: a00000
(bootloader) partition-type:protect1: ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:nvram: 500000
(bootloader) partition-type:nvram: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:proinfo: 300000
(bootloader) partition-type:proinfo: raw data
(bootloader) partition-size:preloader: 40000
(bootloader) partition-type:preloader: raw data
(bootloader) off-mode-charge: 1
(bootloader) warranty: no
(bootloader) unlocked: yes
(bootloader) secure: no
(bootloader) kernel: lk
(bootloader) product: ZAL875_PLATFORM
(bootloader) version-preloader: 0.1.00
(bootloader) version: 0.5

even though i erased the stock recovery, then flashed a custom one. I still cant go into twrp

flamendless

Jul 12, 2016
the wrong forum means the wrong method

AFAIK you need to patch your kernel which you will not find the answer here
Ask in a proper forum/thread

Sent from my HTC M8 using XDA Labs

Yes, I already posted a thread for my device specifically, but lacks reply. Im searching through other threads whether the same solution would apply

ahmed.ismael

Oct 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Xiaomi Poco F3
Yes, I already posted a thread for my device specifically, but lacks reply. Im searching through other threads whether the same solution would apply
I'm sorry i can't help in that

You can try some apps like kingroot or something similar to root the device

there is some devices replaced the custom recovery with the stock when you rebooted
To avoid that you need a patched kernel ( i don't know if your device one of those )

GOOD LUCK

Sent from my HTC M8 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So how would I go about that?

Done.