S5 overheating

Search This thread

farshid50

Mar 6, 2010
Hello everyone,

My new brand S5 overheats sometimes. I do nothing special when it overheats. No games, no heavy force on CPU. Even sometimes when it is just on my desk and I pick it up, I feel overheating.
When it overheats, I take battery out for around 5 minutes and then it will be ok for a while. Please help.

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
I was about to post the same.
My s5 seems to overheat even when not doing some very intensive ( like camera or gamming). Just today, after just using it to visit some webpages, it started to get hot on both the back and the screen.Does anyone else have the same problem of overheating with simple tasks?
I had the same issue with the s3 and i didn't want my next phone to heat up as much as the s3 did

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
There are a number of existing threads that have discussed this at length. You might want to do a search so that you can read the valuable information in those threads.

In short though, what makes you think your phone is overheating? You didn't give us any information about actual temperatures, app errors (if any) or.. well no information about anything. Give us some more details and we could give you better answers. Most often people have a vague impression that their phone is overheating when it isn't at all. Since we have no information, we dont' know if your phone is or isn't.

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
Thank you for the reply!
Well, it seems to just get too hot from what it seems to be considerable acceptable. I thought it heated up to much and so did some people that used my phone.
I was out today when i noticed it just by browsing the web (not on wifi, just on data and without any app errors), so i didn't get any temperature info but i do have a ir thermometer at home that i will use to get some info on the actual temperature. The rise on the temperature (again, don't know exact values but i will get back on those) was a bit uncomfortable, especially when using the screen that got a bit to hot as well.

Maybe i was expecting the phone to heat less than it does, so maybe its just the way the hardware works since it seems to be reports of excessive heat from phones like the z2 and the m8. Still, i will try get the temperatures when the phone starts to heat up to the same point i have experienced this past days and reply back here to see if its normal.

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
Thank you for the reply!
Well, it seems to just get too hot from what it seems to be considerable acceptable. I thought it heated up to much and so did some people that used my phone.
I was out today when i noticed it just by browsing the web (not on wifi, just on data and without any app errors), so i didn't get any temperature info but i do have a ir thermometer at home that i will use to get some info on the actual temperature. The rise on the temperature (again, don't know exact values but i will get back on those) was a bit uncomfortable, especially when using the screen that got a bit to hot as well.

Maybe i was expecting the phone to heat less than it does, so maybe its just the way the hardware works since it seems to be reports of excessive heat from phones like the z2 and the m8. Still, i will try get the temperatures when the phone starts to heat up to the same point i have experienced this past days and reply back here to see if its normal.

FWIW, mine tends to get overly hot also. Whether its just the fact that the screen has been on for a good long while texting or web browsing or other mundane tasks. My 2 previous phones, Sprint S3 and Evo 4G (og version) never seemed to get so warm doing so little. Sure its a larger screen than the S3 and more processor horsepower, but its the same screen technology and similar cpu architecture. Doesnt make much sense to me either. And all 3 phones have been in the platinum series cases from best but, similar ventilation and always worn in the hip-clip

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
You can't have a powerful phone that doesn't produce some heat. And phones of course are too small to have active cooling systems. If you had done a search you'd find that some heat is normal. You're assuming that the phone is overheating when there is no basis for that. You just didn't expect to notice any obvious heat.

You don't need a thermometer, you can install an app e.g. an Xposed module to report the processor temperature. Idle temperatures of ~ 35C are normal. Light load, perhaps 45C, heavy load ~ 65C. And if you are doing something processor intensive e.g. transcoding or some games and have a bulky case that causes your phone to run hot, you might see temperatures approach 80C. There is no (public) published TDP figure for the Snapdragon 800 series, but it's believed to be about 5 W. So these temperatures should not surprise anyone.

Auto shutdown i.e. what the manufacturer considers overheating is I believe 100C. Advances in semiconductor lithography do produce devices that radiate less heat in general but these temperatures are not out of line with other processors e.g. I have measured desktop CPUs that routinely operate as high as 90C.

Last edited:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
I get like 40 -50 on light usage (browsing, checking mail).. and 60 - 65 on moderate use... and 70 - 75 on heavy use and on bootup.. so it's within the range? but the problem is .. it is not comfortable using such a hot touchscreen... after long use.. my fingers kind of hurt cuz it's too hot... My old htc desire never had this prob.. I am a bit pissed off that a device 2x the price of my old htc desire is that hot and uncomfortable to use...

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

and another problem is that while the cpu cools down if i let it rest, the touchscreen takes a very long time to cool off... needs at least 10mins so that it's normal...

Gargoyles

Dec 28, 2012
Redmi Note 8 Pro
I get like 40 -50 on light usage (browsing, checking mail).. and 60 - 65 on moderate use... and 70 - 75 on heavy use and on bootup.. so it's within the range? but the problem is .. it is not comfortable using such a hot touchscreen... after long use.. my fingers kind of hurt cuz it's too hot... My old htc desire never had this prob.. I am a bit pissed off that a device 2x the price of my old htc desire is that hot and uncomfortable to use...

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

and another problem is that while the cpu cools down if i let it rest, the touchscreen takes a very long time to cool off... needs at least 10mins so that it's normal...
Hei! I think your s5 is dead for a long time. But I have one with the same issue. Do you remember if you fix it somehow?!