[Q] Installing apps to SD card in Moto E. Help needed

Search This thread

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
I guess its basically because Internal memory is recognized as "sdcard0" and SD-card as "sdcard1".
In my old Karbonn phone which runs 4.2.2 ... SDcard is recognized as "sdcard0" and Internal SD card as "sdcard1" .. So everything got installed or copied into the Microsd card this way. So if there's a way to revert those, maybe it solves, though not sure.
on JB, you can easily swap the mount points with a buil.prop tweak or editing the vold. But, that doesn't work for KK.

nimishsk

Oct 18, 2013
Mumbai
^^^100% working ^^^ I got a fix...! U can install OBB directly from PC into sdcard..!

I got a fix...! U can install OBB directly from PC into sdcard..! ***WORKING 100%***

You need a rooted phone with FolderMount installed in it : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount

First copy the APK in phone and install it..... Don't run the game now..... Then later copy the name of the obb folder like.. : for asphalt 8 it is : com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM

copy the name title of folder...
go to phone memory's Android/obb folder and create a folder of the same name...

you have now a folder in phonememory's OBB as com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM
Dont copy your data yet...

Go to foldermount and click the ""+"" icon over and insert some name for the pair... Then go in source directory and just select the "android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM" directory..

DO NOT MOUNT THE FOLDER YET....

Now copy the data file into the folder.... after finishing the copying... Mount the folder and run the game :D:D:good::good::good: You did it....

CAREFUL: DO NOT INSTALL GaME AFTER COPYING THE DATA coz the game installer erases the data..!

Please press thanks as this method works... If you need any assistance then I will be uploading a video shortly..!

PRESS THANKS :D

compiro1

May 18, 2014
Really wish if someone can come up with a solution to install apps/games in SDcard without the need of rooting the device.

lokesh.3440

Apr 24, 2012
Shimla
I got a fix...! U can install OBB directly from PC into sdcard..! ***WORKING 100%***

You need a rooted phone with FolderMount installed in it : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount

First copy the APK in phone and install it..... Don't run the game now..... Then later copy the name of the obb folder like.. : for asphalt 8 it is : com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM

you have now a folder in phonememory's OBB as com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM

Go to foldermount and click the ""+"" icon over and insert some name for the pair... Then go in source directory and just select the "android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM" directory..

Now copy the data file into the folder.... after finishing the copying... Mount the folder and run the game :D:D:good::good::good: You did it....

CAREFUL: DO NOT INSTALL GaME AFTER COPYING THE DATA coz the game installer erases the data..!

Please press thanks as this method works... If you need any assistance then I will be uploading a video shortly..!

but folder mount asks for root privileges initially. how can I run it without root ?

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Mayank_V

Jul 27, 2014
Bangalore
No way without rooting

no.....it need not to be rooted

The administrative rights in KK doesnot allow users to have their apps installed over sd card directly. So for all the questions there is only one answer , you need to have root access to install apps over sd. After rooting you have many apps like folder mount,gl2sd,linktosd, xposed modules, kksd fix etc. If you want to have that rights you have to root your phone of course and there is no harm when you know what you are doing.

Hit thanks if i helped.

Oct 22, 2013
error!!! help required urgently!!!

i have successfully completed all the steps but when i install asphalt 8 it says "cannot install due to insufficient storage on external" how can i fix this bug??

compiro1

May 18, 2014
Android Lollipop

Yay Android Lollipop will store all the apps and games on SD card. Finally this functionality is coming back. Can't wait to update my Moto E. It should be available by next month!!

Reactions: oartalk

Norman\

Jan 5, 2015
How can i download and install directly to my sd card?

Hi, I am Norman. I have a moto e. I have purchased a 16gb class 10 SD card. But as I go to download games, it gives me n error that, I have insufficient space and asks me to free some space. There are few apps and games which get installed as they require less space, but the thing I do not understand is, when I am downloading or installing any app, it first gets in the phone memory (which is very less), so it does not get installed as some games like fifa 14 or asphalt 8 require more space to download and install. I can move them in the SD card once installed. BVut it is not happening as there is low space in phone memory HOW CAN I DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL DIRECTLY TO MY SD CARD?

my no - 9619507817

Please help me ASAP!

Thank you!

Oct 7, 2015
sir after changing it to location 2 adb shows an error that java.lang.security exception
sir my moto e is rooted one
having cynogen12.1
sir please provide me some method so as to install hd games on my moto e xt1022
by changing the default installation path...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
please help

So i have this brazillian xt1022 with official ota updated lollipop, which i tried to root (sorta long story), it boot looped after a complete discharge on the boot image. After it, i did the downgrade to 4.4.2 and no progress has been done, just the recovery has gone tottaly useless, it now is boot looping quickly on the no command screen . Now i do not have any access to recovery, neither to adb (obviously) and just have the fastboot. I tried flashing again the downgrade rom, but there's that gtp error about trying to downgrade. Tried to flash boot.img too.
Ps: the update command won't work since no roms i found have the android-info.txt.
Any idea about what to do? Or any official rom to send me? it has to be a lollipop rom to the things work?

Manojmyu

Nov 11, 2015
In my Moto E rooted phone I linked google services & store ,Download manager with other app in order to free up internal storage by apps2sd in SD card but After linking Google services & store both were not working I was not able to download,install & update any app so I uninstalled Google play Services & store but it didn't work so I had to factory reset but after resting phone I m not able to download any app,Update,Download & Play store ,download Manager r not appearing either plz help
Think u

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I am new to Android and Moto E is my first device. I cannot install apps directly to SD card from PlayStore. Some of the apps can be moved to SD card by accessing the app settings through : Settings>Apps.

I would like to know how can i install apps to SD card directly. Also i have another query, how can i install apps from SD card using apk. (There's no apk installer in MOTO E).

Thanks
    compiro

As per your query, When you download some bigger applications/games such as Asphalt 8 - they get installed on the SD card automatically (if there's SD card inserted in your device).

and for your Second query, try this method :

Step 1 : Download Android SDK (Click HERE)
    Step 2 : Install adb drivers on your System (your device should automatically install them when connected through USB)
    Step 3 : Install Motorola Device Manager (Download from HERE)
    Step 4 : When Downloading Android SDK is completed, Go to Platform-tools (Path : adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\platform-tools)
    Step 5 : Open Command Prompt in Platform-tools folder (Right Click>Open Command Windows here)
    Step 6 : Now Enter the following command to see if the device is set to default for Internal Memory or External Memory :
    Type : adb devices (to see if your devices is connected)
    adb shell pm get-install-location (to see if default apps/games installation is set ot Internal memory or External memory)
    adb shell pm set-install-location 2 (No. 2 indicates that you are going to set default installation to External Memory)

Congratulations !! You have successfully set your Moto E default installation to SD card. Have fun !
    ^^^100% working ^^^ I got a fix...! U can install OBB directly from PC into sdcard..!

Yes i agree some apps can't be moved to SD card.
    Regarding my second query, there is no file manager in MOTO E. So how can i access the apk file and tap on it to install it?
    Help is appreciated.:angel::)

Regards
    compiro

Answer to your 1st question :
    Its not upon Play store that where your app gets installed.
    Its upon the App Developer.
    In Android Manigest File of the app there's a line that tells Android where the app should get installed.
    There 3 three different options namely :

Auto - This means that it can be installed on both internal and external sd card but at the time of installation it gets installed on internal memory and can be manually moved to external as in your case.

Prefer External - Same as auto but directly gets installed to external sd card if present.

Internal Only - Can only be installed on Internal Sd card and can't be moved to external.

For your 2nd question I have answered that in another thread.
    Read it there.

Sent from my XT1022
    can i copy obb files in external sd card for asphalt 8?

Unlock your Moto E's bootloader and then Root it and then download FolderMount app from Playstore and use it move Obb files of Asphalt 8 to External storage.
    Android Lollipop

Yay Android Lollipop will store all the apps and games on SD card. Finally this functionality is coming back. Can't wait to update my Moto E. It should be available by next month!!