HTC Arrive Hacking Guide

Search This thread

chrisliphart

Apr 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Here's a basic guide for getting a custom ROM on your HTC Arrive. I cannot stress enough that you need to do your research and know the risks before going through the following steps. At best, they'll void your warranty (but gain you cool features, like tethering). At worst, they'll brick your phone. I am NOT a developer, and I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. I'm just a guy that pulled the steps together.

First, make sure Zune is not running on your computer, and get this file to downgrade your SPL to the needed level. To do that, turn the phone off, hold the volume down button, hit power while still holding volume down, then let go of power. When you see the 3 color screen, plug the phone into the computer and run the tool.

Then, get this file. READ THIS POST! You will also need to install the Windows Mobile Device Center software (32-Bit)/(64-Bit) from Microsoft. Following the above steps on your phone, first run the Loader file to install RSPL. Then run the Installer file (again, with the above steps) to install HSPL.

After you do all that, the phone will boot normally and act normal, like you didn't do anything to it. Fear not, it's ready to load any ROM that is listed as a GOLD_C ROM. DO NOT INSTALL ANY ROM THAT DOES NOT SAY GOLD_C OR ARRIVE.

To install the your ROM of choice, follow the steps on the phone and run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe file supplied by the ROM.

NOTE: There is no way to back up your apps or data on the phone when you install a new ROM. Make sure your contacts and stuff are backed up to Windows Live/Google/Yahoo before you do all of this. Make a note of your installed apps, and be ready to lose all your save games.

Again, I am not a developer, and I take no responsibility if something screws up and bricks your phone. I can't stress enough that you CAN brick your phone if you do not carefully follow instructions. Do your research and know what you're getting into.

Last edited:

chrisliphart

Apr 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well can you explain or PM me what do do?Ima n00b at this

Here's a basic guide. I cannot stress enough that you need to do your research and know the risks before going through the following steps. At best, they'll void your warranty. At worst, they'll brick your phone. I am NOT a developer, and I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. I'm just a guy that pulled the steps together.

First, make sure Zune is not running on your computer, and get this file to downgrade your SPL to the needed level. To do that, turn the phone off, hold the volume down button, hit power while still holding volume down, then let go of power. When you see the 3 color screen, plug the phone into the computer and run the tool.

Then, get this file. READ THIS POST! You will also need to install the Windows Mobile Device Center software (32-Bit)/(64-Bit) from Microsoft. Following the above steps on your phone, first run the Loader file to install RSPL. Then run the Installer file (again, with the above steps) to install HSPL.

After you do all that, the phone will boot normally and act normal, like you didn't do anything to it. Fear not, it's ready to load any ROM that is listed as a GOLD_C ROM. DO NOT INSTALL ANY ROM THAT DOES NOT SAY GOLD_C OR ARRIVE.

To install the your ROM of choice, follow the steps on the phone and run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe file supplied by the ROM.

NOTE: There is no way to back up your apps or data on the phone when you install a new ROM. Make sure your contacts and stuff are backed up to Windows Live/Google/Yahoo before you do all of this. Make a note of your installed apps, and be ready to lose all your save games.

Again, I am not a developer, and I take no responsibility if something screws up and bricks your phone. I can't stress enough that you CAN brick your phone if you do not carefully follow instructions. Do your research and know what you're getting into.

jeffc313

Jul 26, 2010
Boston, MA
It would be very important to mention the gold card method as a way of downgrading the SPL on half bricked devices. Also, pictures would be helpful. I can contribute to this guide if you would like. It would be nice to put this on the wiki so that everyone can contribute to it

chrisliphart

Apr 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sure, if anyone wants to add their superior knowledge (I just posted what worked for me), I'm all for adding it, or turning the reigns over to someone more qualified. :)

As my phone was already unlocked, I might have been able to skip over any steps that I might have omitted. If I did omit anything, it's because I simply didn't know they existed, such as the Gold Card method you mentioned. Again, it's just what worked for me.

If there's a wiki, my steps are more than welcome to be added to it by anyone who wants to do so. I just made this post because I had a hard time finding Arrive-specific steps. :)

As to pictures, I'm not sure what you're looking for there. Photos of the steps I took, screencaps (is that possible?), or what?

And if the guide seems vague or confusing, it can be pulled down, as well. I don't want to brick anyone's phone by my lack of technical knowledge.

Last edited:

Skitzi

Nov 30, 2008
Any word if this works for US Cellular CDMA devices? I assume some parts are Sprint specific which would break text messaging or data on Us Cellular.

Brand new to the WP7 game, still trying to comb through the info to figure it all out. From what I can tell you need to be developer unlocked and interop unlocked to do fun stuff, but there is no way to dev unlock with out paying $99 now that chevron labs is down. Is that correct? So anyone new to the game is kinda screwed at the moment when it comes to home brew or other awesome hacks like the lockscreen widgets?

jeffc313

Jul 26, 2010
Boston, MA
Any word if this works for US Cellular CDMA devices? I assume some parts are Sprint specific which would break text messaging or data on Us Cellular.

Brand new to the WP7 game, still trying to comb through the info to figure it all out. From what I can tell you need to be developer unlocked and interop unlocked to do fun stuff, but there is no way to dev unlock with out paying $99 now that chevron labs is down. Is that correct? So anyone new to the game is kinda screwed at the moment when it comes to home brew or other awesome hacks like the lockscreen widgets?

dev unlock if you are a student is free.
https://www.dreamspark.com/Product/Product.aspx?productid=26

mtstmp

Jun 23, 2008

The instructions on the first post allow you to unlock the bootloader, which lets you load a custom rom. Most custom roms come fully unlocked (dev, interop, AND allowing native code). Once you have a custom rom you're all set. As far as unlocking the bootloader, it should work for you. It's not carrier specific, only model specific. Read all the info at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1195647 and pay special attention to the part about Model ID's.

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
AWESOME!!!

Awww man, this is awesome!!! THANK YOU... I have not been following development for a while and is refreshing to know that there are people out there putting guides together to help. :cool:

THANKS and obvious THANKS to ALL DEVS!!! :D

jonny4

Mar 23, 2011
How can I determine which HSPL I have? Want to figure this out before I start. I added pictures of the current setup.

Attachments

• DSC06433.jpg
    DSC06433.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC06434.jpg
    DSC06434.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

jonny4

Mar 23, 2011
Again sorry but I am new to this. I have unlocked via this method. Am I correct that this is an interop unlock?
?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a basic guide for getting a custom ROM on your HTC Arrive. I cannot stress enough that you need to do your research and know the risks before going through the following steps. At best, they'll void your warranty (but gain you cool features, like tethering). At worst, they'll brick your phone. I am NOT a developer, and I take no responsibility if you brick your phone. I'm just a guy that pulled the steps together.

Can someone re-host the files form post #1? I want to try flashing my HTC arrive, but Rapidshare no longer allows downloads.

Ive uploaded it to my skydrive for you.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D3DD06F8E7EF6BCE!304

let me know if that doesnt work