Installing Debian + Gnome, KDE, IceWM or LXDE Desktop on your rooted G1!

Search This thread

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Does anyone know how to access/mount the sdcard from within Debian?

Or know how to transfer files between the SDcard / Debian? (ie using scp etc)

i too would like to know this... I'm using the gp2x emu, and it runs off of debian. The only way i know to download roms is either through lynx or wget, which is a pain in the ass... I have tons of cps2 roms on my sd though

How the heck does no one know this?

Well, at least I feel good stumping ALL of XDA haha

snetsplit

Jan 30, 2009
What about using a webDAV or SAMBA server? Anyone know of Android implementations of those? Seems like you could maybe share the sdcard folder, then set Debian to auto-mount it in the file system as a network share.

Another plus would be you could set your computers on your network to auto-mount your phone as well. Imagine being able to access your sd card without even having to take your phone out of your pocket, or interrupt your tunes.

Last edited:

jonnybueno

Jan 26, 2009
50th
How the heck does no one know this?

Well, at least I feel good stumping ALL of XDA haha

Well I'm pretty linux retarded... actually computer retarded in general. I tried setting one of my g1s up as a ftp server using some app off the market, then i installed ftp in debian using apt.

I couldn't get the two to connect though. kept getting errors about there being no route to host. uggggh networking is very foreign to me... i'm sure if i spent a couple days on it i could figure it out, but honestly, I don't play video games enough to justify that amount of time to my girlfriend.

tribalb

Apr 23, 2009
Orange County,CA
Worked for me too! Thank you!!!

For anyone having problems with the chmod step, try this first!!!

cd /sdcard/debian
sh ./installer.sh
exit
<-- it installs after this
bootdeb

Worked GREAT

If I did this on my g1. Mind you I have jf 1.5 with lucid mod apps2sd. Will it mess up anything else. Anyone with the mod have any trouble or can confirm it works for them. Cuz the I see you guys do it I think you don't have any apps to sd script. Sorry I'm a lil new to it but but I want to be able to run debian and a desktop like gnome. Any help would be appreciated.

SolemnWishing

Feb 26, 2009
Oregon
I am running Haykuro 6.0.1, will it work? I haven't been able to get it to work. Ive tried it on my Ext2 partition and my FAT32 partition.

C:\Users\Bill Gates>adb remount
remount succeeded

C:\Users\Bill Gates>adb shell
# cd /system/sd/Debian
cd /system/sd/Debian
# sh ./installer.sh
sh ./installer.sh
# exit
exit
←[H←[Jrm failed for -f, No such file or directory
rm failed for -f, No such file or directory
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt, File exists
←[H←[Jcd: can't cd to /system/sd/debian
←[H←[J
VERSION 2.1
Custom Debian Bootloader is now installed! Quick huh?
This process does NO damage to your Android underlying OS!

Courtesy of http://www.androidfanatic.com
Installer by Mark Walker (ghostwalker)

To enter the Debian Linux console just type 'bootdeb'
PS: Be sure to run /scripts/onetime.sh as root from the shell after your FIRST '
boot'.
# bootdeb
bootdeb
Android Filesytem remounted as read/write
←[H←[J
a888a
d888888b
8P YP Y88
8|o||o|88
8. .88
8 ._. Y8.
d/ 8b.
.dP . Y8b.
d8: ::88b.
d8 Y88b
:8P :888
8a. : _a88P
._/ Yaa_ : .| 88P|
s YP | 8P \.
/ \._____.d| .|
--..__)888888P ._.|

ioctl LOOP_SET_FD failed: Bad file number
mount: No such file or directory
Custom Linux Pseudo Bootstrapper V2.1 - by Mark Walker
WEB: http://www.androidfanatic.com
EML: admin@androidfanatic.com

Starting init process
INIT: Debian booting.....
Running Linux Kernel
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
AutoMounter started
Type EXIT to end session
Make sure you do a proper EXIT for a clean kill of Debian!

chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory

Shutting down Debian........
Processes killed......
Loopback device shutdown - success
Debian down
Coded by Mark Walker
http://www.androidfanatic.com
admin.androidfanatic.com

Rebooting device to ensure clean takedown.........

[/QUOTE]

I get this error both in ADB shell and the on phone terminal.

-NVM Got it figured out, if anyone gets this error let me know, I can help you out.

Last edited:

smsrat84

Feb 3, 2009
Cumming, GA
Ok, I have gotten past the permissions obstacle by copying frsw, unionfsm bootdeb, installer, and mountonly to /system/bin, and do chmod 4755 * from the there, not through the sd card. When I am done installing it, I go to run debian by bootdeb, and it starts to initialize, but then a split second later, says no such file bla bla bla, (and lots of bla, with no time to read it all) and then reboots.

Any helps at all?

I am running JF 1.51

:confused:

fawaad

Nov 7, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone has the screenshots of the running debian etc..?
I would be interested how it looks like and usage wise before actually going through the entire process of installing a distribution.

fleshdeep

Nov 27, 2008
Bakersfield
Can this be installed without phone service? My bill is late so i dont have data/internet now.

edit: just used wifi and it lets me apt-get

Last edited:

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Does anyone has the screenshots of the running debian etc..?
I would be interested how it looks like and usage wise before actually going through the entire process of installing a distribution.

Base Debian looks exactly the same as the normal G1 terminal. The only difference is you can run a lot more Linux stuff. Is using apt-get useful to you? If not, I wouldn't recommend getting Debian.

----

Hmm, still waiting for the answer on how to access SD Card files from Debian...

It's crazy how not a single person has ever commented on how it can be done. Are my posts not visible or what? =\

mrandroid

Jun 25, 2009
Miami
www.darklome.com
I found this site that the dude grabbed all the tutorials around and put them all together nicely... He Links back to this site, it's mainly like a tutorial site only...

He put up tutorials to:
install debian, resize the image (right on your phone, no linux computer required), and then install the gui and setup the vnc server..

It's really nice all files are hosted on the server itself.

check it out, follow tutorials 5, 6 & 7 and you'll be all set.

http://myhangoutonline.com/androids/

mrandroid

Jun 25, 2009
Miami
www.darklome.com
cool thing to do with Debian and your G1

you can actually install Apache on your debian installation and run Wifi-Tether... you can use your G1 to host a website lol... throw it in a drawer with apache running and it's a portable webserver.... *** some tweaking required of course ***

the possibilities of this phone are endless and awesome!

Last edited:

BlackElvis79

May 2, 2009
SoCal
Debian on r6...?

I have been using r6 daily since it dropped, but just for fun I flashed back to ADP1 to see what debian was all about. I had some problems with LXDE so I'm running iceWM for the time being.

What I want to know is, can I flash back to r6 without loosing my iceWM? I tried installing it right to r6, but it was not cooperating. Somehow, r6 automatically formats my ext2 partition to ext3, so I end up with two ext3 partitions. Anybody know how to get Debian up and running on r6?

I'm not done exploring iceWM and LXDE but I really REALLY miss the r6.:confused:

BlackElvis79

May 2, 2009
SoCal
FYI on FAT32

It seem that this works on FAT32 because it formats it to Linux ext2, itself. I was goona reformat one of my partitions, but when I put it in partition manager, it showed me that I had none. My whole SD was now Linux ext2.... which answers my own question. Thanx anyway. ^^

Last edited: