[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

Search This thread

Calex93

Oct 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Damn, watched the video and I thought it was a horror show. But that alone shows its quite capable of handling such abuse no?

Why the complains? I don't see it as much of an issue unless you are so used to ultra stiff sliders. Yes the annoying feeling of being loose is there, but its not like its going to break no?

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using Tapatalk

Amanha

Jul 18, 2010
Got my Desire Z yesterday at 930am. Opened up at 12. Used for about 4 hours - Keyboard opened about 8 times in the most gentle way. And its not super loose, just loose enough to get annoying. If i hold the phone screen down, the keyboard comes out. if its held at 45°, it needs a tiny nudge to open. The phone is less than 24hrs old..When I first opened it, It was perfectly tight. Now, Its annoying. If the keyboard is annoying now, then wont it just be fluid one day soon?

stian230

Oct 29, 2009
Nesttun
My first HZ had very loose hinges (so i bricked it:eek:) Now comes my new HZ on Monday or Tuesday wondering how the hinges are on it?

Becksman

Feb 1, 2009
Damn, I have serious problems with the hinge of my (german) Desire Z. The screen will drop and close itself if I just lean the phone slightly towards myself. Even at angles of only 70-80 degrees the screen will drop. I couldn't even think of 45 degrees.

Until I received the phone last friday I always thought that the hinge issue would be hypothetical. Damn.

The phone will be sent back today.

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
You are all forgetting this is not a real issue, its just the way this phone has been designed, if you want a phone where the keyboard locks out and in then you need to go get a Moto MileStone2.

The hinge on the Z was never designed to lock into place, the phone was not designed to be used while laying on your back, or upside down or any other situation your all saying your screen closes.

alexinc

Feb 4, 2008
HTC Vision: G2
LG G5
You are all forgetting this is not a real issue, its just the way this phone has been designed, if you want a phone where the keyboard locks out and in then you need to go get a Moto MileStone2.

The hinge on the Z was never designed to lock into place, the phone was not designed to be used while laying on your back, or upside down or any other situation your all saying your screen closes.

sorry to say, but you're wrong! :) before i unboxed mine, i had played with the one in local store and the difference between both is massive... so its designed to work in a better way than mine does now. you're right saying its no real issue in terms of functionality, but if you know a better build quality, you'll always want that one on your own too... ;)

Becksman

Feb 1, 2009
Well, there are users who don't face this issue. This has been reported on several fora and you'll find youtube videos as well.

Obviously the spread within the production is pretty large and the firmness of the hinges varies a lot. I will try to get a model with a firm hinge, otherwise I'd have to back off the Desire Z.

tbalden

Recognized Developer
Well, there are users who don't face this issue. This has been reported on several fora and you'll find youtube videos as well.

Obviously the spread within the production is pretty large and the firmness of the hinges varies a lot. I will try to get a model with a firm hinge, otherwise I'd have to back off the Desire Z.

any links to the FIRM HINGE version video? i would be really interested to see one, it seems a lot of video of the loose... I have one with quite loose and i love it how easily it opens, still im curious how a stiff one holds...

alexinc

Feb 4, 2008
HTC Vision: G2
LG G5
any links to the FIRM HINGE version video? i would be really interested to see one, it seems a lot of video of the loose... I have one with quite loose and i love it how easily it opens, still im curious how a stiff one holds...

believe me, really stiff!!! i'll get my second one today in the shop and i'm really excited if it will match their sample-unit. the hinge is really snapping on that one, no sign of getting loose anytime soon. i mean daily 100 people playing with this unit...

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
Mine is firm, but I can't record myself.

I still see it as a non-issue, some people are just lucky. Maybe all your with a class 4 card have a bad hinge, everyone with a class 2 had a good hinge :)

Calex93

Oct 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Seems the issue here is that there are variations in the looseness of the hinge.

One question though, for both owners of tight or loose hinged ones, when you bought your phone? Any diff in packaging mind telling?

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using Tapatalk

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
By the way I was semi-serious about my sd card comment above, I am yet to find anyone who had a class 4 sd card inside their z who has a good hinge (for more than a week).

Everyone with a class 2 card seems fine (or they are just overly fussy)

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
See I have a theory that the bad batch of phones is the same time they were using the class 4 cards, then the class 2 batch has the newer better hinges.

Lennyuk

Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
I laughed when I saw your comment about the sd card. But I think you might be onto something there. I have a class 2 card and my hinge is quite firm.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

well at first I meant it as a joke (I first said it to someone a few days ago) then when I started to think about it no one was able to prove it wrong, and no one still has.

lessthanjakedude

Oct 5, 2010
I tried out a DZ in P4U yesterday afternoon and found it to have a very firm hinge. Could not tell you what class sd card it had but I imagine that it would be from a recent batch, as they said that they had shifted a lot of them. I did find that you had to push the camera key really far in (as in, with your fingernail) to activate the camera shortcut. Is this normal?

Anyway off topic, I did not buy it, partly because of the camera key and partly because they became very grumpy when I asked to compare it against another DZ, telling me that "phones don't have quality control issues".

Back on to topic, back when I tried one in CPW just after it came out, it had a very floppy hinge, so this would back up the idea that they have recognised and fixed the issue.

Can anybody recommend an online retailer that they have had a good experience with?

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
I did find that you had to push the camera key really far in (as in, with your fingernail) to activate the camera shortcut. Is this normal?

Initially I actually thought that my camera button didn't work, because I was pressing it and nothing happened. Eventually I figured out that I just needed to press it further - I think it's kind of simulating the button on a standalone camera, where you press it halfway to focus, then further to take the picture (i.e. it needs quite a long press down).

I don't have to use my fingernail though, I don't have to press it "inside" the phone body.