XBMC 13.1 *Thanks Koying from XBMC* - Download

APPS NOT Working:
Popcorn Time - Reported - Needs Mouse, video very choppy

Live TV with HomeRun Prime:

Ouya Store on Fire TV: Instructions

IPTV Server Setup on Fire TV: Instructions

Emulators:
ePSXe for Android - Reported
FPse for Android - Installs but reports that the controllers arent registering correctly - Reported
Snes9x EX+ - Reported

Hardware Working:
Keyboards/Mouse
Logitech K320 - Reported
Logitech K400r - Reported
Logitech K520 - Reported
Logitech K750 - Reported
Logitech K800 - Reported
Logitech MX5500 - Reported
Lenovo Mulitimedia Remote N5902 - Reported
Hausbell Mini H7 2.4GHz Wireless Entertainment Keyboard with Touchpad for PC
Mele Pro F10 - *Thanks MejDam*
DiNovo mini - Keyboard works but no mouse *Thanks DealLQ* - Reported
FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse - Reported

Controllers
Xbox 360 Wired - Reported
Xbox 360 Wireless with Dongle - Reported
PS4 Wired - Buttons map incorretly FIX
Ouya Controller - I have tested
Madcatz Mojo (with dongle) - I have tested
Moga Controller - Reported

MCE Remote Contro
ARtec VRC-1100 - Reported

Video Formats:
720p - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release
1080i - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release
1080p - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release

My SPMC Audio Settings:
DTS%20Settings_thumbnail.jpg

Audio
DTS: Works (SPMC and XBMC FireTv Version through HDMI and through optical audio)
Dolby Digital: Works (SPMC and XBMC FireTv Version through HDMI and through optical audio)

Loseless Audio: have these options disabled under system - audio - disable DTS-HD and TrueHD else you'll get nothing but static. DTS-MA files will passthrough as DTS and TrueHD files will be in stereo

Custom Splashscreen

Custom Splashscreen by elmerohueso
elmerohuesoSplash.jpg

Full Picture
authors link: http://s2.postimg.org/6zlxaix93/Splash.png

Custom Splashscreen by reaven
reavenSplash.jpg

Full Picture
authors link: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2mi409g.jpg

How to Install splash screen:
move splash.png to platform-tools folder then run the command for your version of XBMC

For XBMC on Ouya Version:
adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

For SPMC Version:
adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

For Regular XBMC (gotham v13) Version:
adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

Different Launcher
firelauncher-1.jpg

Modifications on FIre TV
Root - HERE

Auto boot to XBMC
AutoPilot - Download
Once Installed, launch Application and select your XBMC version from the list of apps. Reboot and done.

Block Updates
You Need to have a Router that is capable of URL Blocking and block the following address.
http://firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com/
Spoof Installed location - Thanks to Koying
adb install -r -i com.amazon.venezia <apk file>

What Doesnt Work
VC1 decoding - Amazon Doesn't support it
HD audio (DTSMA and TrueHD) - Android Limitation
24fps - Android Limitation

Take A ScreenShot Credit to htpcforall
adb shell screencap -p /storage/emulated/legacy/Pictures/Picture.png

Last edited:

sleepingsword

Mar 12, 2011
Oslo
This box is indeed tempting, hopefully (or probably) will get custom roms, I am in a country where the amazon services are limited so thats not of any interest to me. I use a generic RK3188 TV stick atm, its good but its cheapness is a drawback. Hopefully the build quality and performance of this box will be a worthwhile upgrade...

The mojo looks nice but is a bit too pricey, this amazon box hits the right price bracket for me :)

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
Houston, because I have a problem
Sweet! I was heading here to post up this info and seen yours.

We need this thing rooted!! I have the Amazon store and all but what I bought through it is limited plus they don't always get all the games/apps.

Definitely going to need root.

The only thing I am wondering is if DTS pass through works.... not a deal breaker if not.

Also if I slap a harddrive in the USB port will it read it. I know that almost all revs of Android will but there are some instances that it doesn't.

xonant

Mar 31, 2014
This is definitely looking sweet. Just bought one! Getting it on Friday. If we're able to root, and it works better than the Roku 3, I'm selling the Roku pronto, along with my ChromeCast :)

mejdam

May 12, 2008
Sweet! I was heading here to post up this info and seen yours.

We need this thing rooted!! I have the Amazon store and all but what I bought through it is limited plus they don't always get all the games/apps.

Definitely going to need root.

The only thing I am wondering is if DTS pass through works.... not a deal breaker if not.

Also if I slap a harddrive in the USB port will it read it. I know that almost all revs of Android will but there are some instances that it doesn't.

i thought the DTS pass through depends on the application not the device. on the mojo DTS wasnt supported on vanilla XBMC until i installed the Ouya XBMC version 12.3.2
https://diegomejia.globat.com/android/Xbmc for ouya_12.3.2.apk

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
i thought the DTS pass through depends on the application not the device. on the mojo DTS wasnt supported on vanilla XBMC until i installed the Ouya XBMC version 12.3.2
https://diegomejia.globat.com/android/Xbmc for ouya_12.3.2.apk

Pass through is hardware dependent not software.

When pass through occurs the software simply streams the bits through to the end device (stereo) and it decodes, nothing happens to the data on the software end.

If the chips do not support this pass through node then the software will have to decode and pass that through to the end unit sometimes in PCM. In most cases this means the software will decode and down sample it to 2channel and out put it to the stereo through HDMI.

To date not many devices support HDMI pass through and usually when one is supported the other one is since the same node is used for both. A license is still required for the device playing the move even though it is simply passing the sound data on to another payer and this is where a lot of companies go south, they don't want to buy the license.

At any rate the Ouya(Tegra 3) has hardware support for pass through but took a few software revisions to allow the hardware to talk to the software.

mejdam

May 12, 2008
Pass through is hardware dependent not software.

When pass through occurs the software simply streams the bits through to the end device (stereo) and it decodes, nothing happens to the data on the software end.

If the chips do not support this pass through node then the software will have to decode and pass that through to the end unit sometimes in PCM. In most cases this means the software will decode and down sample it to 2channel and out put it to the stereo through HDMI.

To date not many devices support HDMI pass through and usually when one is supported the other one is since the same node is used for both. A license is still required for the device playing the move even though it is simply passing the sound data on to another payer and this is where a lot of companies go south, they don't want to buy the license.

At any rate the Ouya(Tegra 3) has hardware support for pass through but took a few software revisions to allow the hardware to talk to the software.

according to the tech page:
Audio Support for Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch Stereo and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1

Looks promising.

jcjr81

Jan 7, 2010
I got mine earlier today. I enabled ADB debugging. It uses ADB network connections. Could I conceivably side-load APK's that aren't currently available on the Fire TV, or will they not work since they weren't developed for the device?

UPDATE: Yes, you can push APK's and run them, but the do not run correctly. The app that I tried (WWE Network) opened, but the display is sideways and magnified.

Last edited:

rooobbbbb

Apr 13, 2008
I got mine earlier today. I enabled ADB debugging. It uses ADB network connections. Could I conceivably side-load APK's that aren't currently available on the Fire TV, or will they not work since they weren't developed for the device?

UPDATE: Yes, you can push APK's and run them, but the do not run correctly. The app that I tried (WWE Network) opened, but the display is sideways and magnified.

You could try installing Ultimate Rotation Control and forcing all apps to landscape view. I'm personally interested in side loading Airtight to Airplay audio from my devices so I can potentially replace my Apple TVs with these boxes.

Reactions: jcjr81

reddragon72

May 28, 2008

HMMM very interesting!

I have the same deal with my Optimus G phone when I have it plugged into the TV.

The magnified is due to the resolution/DPI I'm guessing and may look good once you lock rotation.

Oh and with debug that means that the universal root tool may work! I am not saying try it because I'm not getting blamed if it bricks your device.

Last edited:

jcjr81

Jan 7, 2010
Getting closer

You could try installing Ultimate Rotation Control and forcing all apps to landscape view.

I was able to correct the orientation problem using that app, however the display is still magnified and the remote cannot navigate to touch buttons/menus.

My skill set is very limited when it comes to these types of things, so I'm sure we'll make more progress once someone more knowledgeable get's a hold of one.

Last edited:

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
I was able to correct the orientation problem using that app, however the display is still magnified and the remote cannot navigate to touch buttons/menus.

My skill set is very limited when it comes to these types of things, so I'm sure we'll make more progress once someone more knowledgeable get's a hold of one.

The magnafication is the DPI more than likely.

Are all apps doing it?

Also the touch api is missing and may need to be added. You could try to use a BT mouse or USB mouse to see if the pointer shows up. I am guessing the remote is not an airmouse...

Can you test something for me really quick. Can the voice function open apps? Can you speak into it and say tunein or pandora and the app opens? Kinda curious.

jcjr81

Jan 7, 2010
The magnafication is the DPI more than likely.

Are all apps doing it?

Also the touch api is missing and may need to be added. You could try to use a BT mouse or USB mouse to see if the pointer shows up.

The USB mouse worked, plus I was able to scale the display down in the device settings. Now I just need a way to enable location services.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DEVELOPMENT
    Connect Using ADB:
    https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html

Install APKS:
    https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html

APPS Working:
    Adobe Flash with Firefox *Thanks destinal*
    Allcast - Reported
    CBS - Reported
    Charter TV - Reported by Me
    DirectTV App Tablet/Phone - Reported
    Dish Anywhere - Reported
    Dropbox - Works but you cant install apk this way
    Firefox *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    Remote. Media Center TV *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    ES File Explorer *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    MLB TV Premium *FireTv Version* Bypass Restrictions
    MX Player *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    AirReceiver *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    HBO GO *Thanks PHAMOS1*
    TimeWarner App *Thanks georgieff*
    WWE Network - Works
    Xbox Music - Reported
    Xfinity TV Go - Works - Reported
    Xtralogic Remote Desktop Client- Reported

XBMC Versions that work
    Frodo XBMC
    SPMC 12.4.2 *Thanks Koying from XBMC* Download
    SPMC 12.4.2 Launcher Edition *Thank to mastafunk* Download
    XBMC for Ouya 12.3.2 - Download
    Gotham XBMC
    XBMC 13.1 *Thanks Koying from XBMC* - Download

APPS NOT Working:
    Popcorn Time - Reported - Needs Mouse, video very choppy

Live TV with HomeRun Prime:

Ouya Store on Fire TV: Instructions

IPTV Server Setup on Fire TV: Instructions

Emulators:
    ePSXe for Android - Reported
    FPse for Android - Installs but reports that the controllers arent registering correctly - Reported
    Snes9x EX+ - Reported

Hardware Working:
    Keyboards/Mouse
    Logitech K320 - Reported
    Logitech K400r - Reported
    Logitech K520 - Reported
    Logitech K750 - Reported
    Logitech K800 - Reported
    Logitech MX5500 - Reported
    Lenovo Mulitimedia Remote N5902 - Reported
    Hausbell Mini H7 2.4GHz Wireless Entertainment Keyboard with Touchpad for PC
    Mele Pro F10 - *Thanks MejDam*
    DiNovo mini - Keyboard works but no mouse *Thanks DealLQ* - Reported
    FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse - Reported

Controllers
    Xbox 360 Wired - Reported
    Xbox 360 Wireless with Dongle - Reported
    PS4 Wired - Buttons map incorretly FIX
    Ouya Controller - I have tested
    Madcatz Mojo (with dongle) - I have tested
    Moga Controller - Reported

MCE Remote Contro
    ARtec VRC-1100 - Reported

Video Formats:
    720p - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release
    1080i - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release
    1080p - Works - SPMC, XBMC for Ouya, gotham release

My SPMC Audio Settings:
    DTS%20Settings_thumbnail.jpg

Audio
    DTS: Works (SPMC and XBMC FireTv Version through HDMI and through optical audio)
    Dolby Digital: Works (SPMC and XBMC FireTv Version through HDMI and through optical audio)

Loseless Audio: have these options disabled under system - audio - disable DTS-HD and TrueHD else you'll get nothing but static. DTS-MA files will passthrough as DTS and TrueHD files will be in stereo

Custom Splashscreen

Custom Splashscreen by elmerohueso
    elmerohuesoSplash.jpg

Full Picture
    authors link: http://s2.postimg.org/6zlxaix93/Splash.png

Custom Splashscreen by reaven
    reavenSplash.jpg

Full Picture
    authors link: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2mi409g.jpg

How to Install splash screen:
    move splash.png to platform-tools folder then run the command for your version of XBMC

For XBMC on Ouya Version:
    adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

For SPMC Version:
    adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

For Regular XBMC (gotham v13) Version:
    adb push splash.png /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/media/splash.png

Different Launcher
    firelauncher-1.jpg

Modifications on FIre TV
    Root - HERE

Auto boot to XBMC
    AutoPilot - Download
    Once Installed, launch Application and select your XBMC version from the list of apps. Reboot and done.

Block Updates
    You Need to have a Router that is capable of URL Blocking and block the following address.
    http://firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com/
    Spoof Installed location - Thanks to Koying
    adb install -r -i com.amazon.venezia <apk file>

What Doesnt Work
    VC1 decoding - Amazon Doesn't support it
    HD audio (DTSMA and TrueHD) - Android Limitation
    24fps - Android Limitation

Take A ScreenShot Credit to htpcforall
    adb shell screencap -p /storage/emulated/legacy/Pictures/Picture.png
    Why are you even posting that if your sig says you wont help ppl root? because you think you're cool? LMFAO

I wish reading comprehension was focused on more in today's educational establishments. Let me help you with that.

Do NOT email me asking for help rooting your device.

The "Do Not email me" part indicates I don't wish to receive email on the subject.

I posted an image, because I am preparing the package for release right now.

*edit*
    I see you edited your original rude comment,

Why post that if your sig says you wont help ppl root =/ its a slap in the face!

No, slap in the face is the entitlement and rudeness I get from people like you, simply because I don't want personal emails on a subject that could be handled with a PM, or a public forum post.

Instead of waiting for me to finish a releasable, easy to use exploit for it (which I am working on from my hotel room right now), you decide to jump on me for a simple request regarding email in my signature.
    @OP

Please use SPMC 12.4.2 ( http://filez.semperpax.com/5r4ln85l ) instead of 12.3.3 if a Frodo build is preferred for XBMC.
    12.4.x is based on Frodo 12.3 and fixes a nasty video decoding bug.

[EDIT]
    Also, to avoid confusion, it's probably best to remove the reference to "XBMC on Ouya". It's basically the same as SPMC 12.3.3 (which was created because Ouya had to remove DTS/AC3 decoding due to licensing), so superseded by SPMC 12.4.2, too.
    :good: Looks like it has its own section to me:

http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv