[Q] Sprint wants me to bring my (rooted) phone in for tech support...

Search This thread

barberboy420

Aug 15, 2011
So I've been having issues with my 4g since Friday, I tried flashing the dodge kernel to my phone and noticed no 4g after I rebooted. Upon further examination this a.m I think I accidentally flashed another zip but the zip only says flash, I'm thinking that may be a reason no 4g I forgot where I dl the zip I think it was a x99 kernel dl, I could upload to my dropbox if anyone would like to check it pot. Anyway I contacted sprint and we did all kinds of troubleshooting over the phone, updated profile/prl refreshed the system. He even had me manually enter info in my phone to get 4g to work but nada nothing. So he suggested a factory reset and I was like naaaw I don't want to loose all my info(and possibly root) so he made me an e ticket to take my phone into sprint to have it checked out. So I guess the million dollar question is should I? If so, how do I hide my root or is there a way?

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
+1 to what Crump said. It's your best bet. It may fix your 4G issue. If not at least your Unrooted Stock. Never take a device to Sprint Rooted. There's a good chance they'll flag your account, not something you want. Also to clarify a Factory Reset will not break Root ;) .

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Reactions: barberboy420

barberboy420

Aug 15, 2011
Good stuff ill search here for the ruu then go back to stock in a cpl hrs and see if 4g works (cant update ps3 for nothing on 3g)

Evo Shift 4g MikShifted G v2.0
GO SPURS GO

drob311

Please stop using your phone as a hotspot for gaming... You are clogging up the network, therefore screwing all the other users... Just some friendly advice...

Ps... Sprint will immediatly terminate your service if they catch you hosting, which is what ps3 does...

Sent from my PG06100

alanthemanofchicago

Dec 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
Please stop using your phone as a hotspot for gaming... You are clogging up the network, therefore screwing all the other users... Just some friendly advice...

Ps... Sprint will immediatly terminate your service if they catch you hosting, which is what ps3 does...

Sent from my PG06100

Personally, Sprint's network near me is so sh!tty, that this makes almost no difference. A drop in the bucket. And anyway, if you are not being sarcastic (and I hope you are), why does it matter how he uses his data? Data is data.

drob311

Personally, Sprint's network near me is so sh!tty, that this makes almost no difference. A drop in the bucket. And anyway, if you are not being sarcastic (and I hope you are), why does it matter how he uses his data? Data is data.

No I'm being serious... There is a HUGE difference in how data is transferred between a mobile network and a landline ip... Mobile networks were NEVER meant to handle the size of data packets that get transfered when tethering as a host on ps3... Do some research because in this instance, data is not data. People that use mobile networks for hosting ps3 and xbox, although xbox does it quite differently, are the very reason why sprint's unlimited data could disappear soon. Sprint can easily tell when you have been tethering more or less hosting. I dunno about you but I personally cant afford 5 lines on VZW or ATT with capped data, and I have terrible T-Mobile coverage in my area. It's not the little amount of tether usage majority of us use, it's the huge amounts of data that are transferred when someone is using their phone as a host, i.e. running ps3/xbox, torrents, etc... And yes, 3G in my area sucks too, but that makes it right for someone to clog up what little bit of network that is there? Like I said unlimited could be ripped away from us, unless people start showing a little respect to the t.o.s. agreements WE ALL signed...

Sent from my PG06100

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No I'm being serious... There is a HUGE difference in how data is transferred between a mobile network and a landline ip... Mobile networks were NEVER meant to handle the size of data packets that get transfered when tethering as a host on ps3... Do some research because in this instance, data is not data. People that use mobile networks for hosting ps3 and xbox, although xbox does it quite differently, are the very reason why sprint's unlimited data could disappear soon. Sprint can easily tell when you have been tethering more or less hosting. I dunno about you but I personally cant afford 5 lines on VZW or ATT with capped data, and I have terrible T-Mobile coverage in my area. It's not the little amount of tether usage majority of us use, it's the huge amounts of data that are transferred when someone is using their phone as a host, i.e. running ps3/xbox, torrents, etc... And yes, 3G in my area sucks too, but that makes it right for someone to clog up what little bit of network that is there? Like I said unlimited could be ripped away from us, unless people start showing a little respect to the t.o.s. agreements WE ALL signed...

Sent from my PG06100
    Don't take it in rooted.. Run the ruu back to stock, check your 4G.. If its still not working then take it in to sprint stock unrooted

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    +1 to what Crump said. It's your best bet. It may fix your 4G issue. If not at least your Unrooted Stock. Never take a device to Sprint Rooted. There's a good chance they'll flag your account, not something you want. Also to clarify a Factory Reset will not break Root ;) .

TEAM MiK
    MikROMs Since 3/13/11