News: Chromecast sold Millions, UK Release coming soon!

Search This thread

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Awesome, finally a hard magnitude!
Imagined statement from Google boss to employee: "So remember, when you break something like HDCP, you're affecting millions of units."

What will be interesting to see is how the sales are outside the US where many of the folks who bought one probably were from outside the US! LOL

It's a good thing cause when you breach the Million unit mark there is enough there to encourage content providers to support it.

You know my feelings here, I'm more interested in getting content providers to support flinging content to other monitors and I don't care what device is used for that.

Once it's in the App and Website adding different methods (mDNS, AirPlay, DLNA) is easy....

But getting them to put that Icon to select the device is the hard thing to get them to do.
Chromecast selling the way it has will help and Roku's new dongle will add to that.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
The only thing that worries me and I'm interested in seeing is what is the real difference between the USA and the UK version...

Is it Hardware? Software? Or merely Content Restrictions?

If the just the Latter then finding a Root method will be very important and those that have root already it might be possible for Eureka devs to actually open up content restricted to the UK to rooted USA users as well.

Won't be easy by any means but possible none the less.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
The only thing that worries me and I'm interested in seeing is what is the real difference between the USA and the UK version...

Is it Hardware? Software? Or merely Content Restrictions?

If the just the Latter then finding a Root method will be very important and those that have root already it might be possible for Eureka devs to actually open up content restricted to the UK to rooted USA users as well.

Won't be easy by any means but possible none the less.
A few major things hardware-wise come to mind:
  • WiFi/WLAN region set to Europe, so it uses European bands
  • European equivalent of FCC (I forgot what it is) certification
  • ROHS compliance (though this likely is already compliant since most manufacturing is global nowadays and complies as a matter of course)
  • USB power adapter with UK plug and 220-240V/50Hz compliance

From a user perspective, there wouldn't be a difference.
  • No access for providers that don't provide in the UK (already the case for those that have imported Chromecasts)
  • UK content for providers that do provide in the UK (already the case for those that have imported Chromecasts)

So really, the only change imagine is making Chromecast "legit" for UK use, and probably the rest of Europe once the required language translations are handled. Funny, the Chromecast app description includes "App available in over 50 languages" - either that's someone having too much free time, or Google is targeting much more than the English-speaking world.