Both Sims & SD Card Simultaneously?

Search This thread

Harmtan2

Feb 26, 2013
Salt Lake City
So here is the AXON Sim Tray.
View attachment 3792627
It looks like it is either SD Card or Sim Card and not both at the same time with the way the slot works. (People who have it can confirm whether or not it's true.) But I have a theory of how to get both at the same time.

View attachment 3792628
With the above photo, you can see that I took the sim card out of they plastic using a hair dryer, some scissors to cut the edges off, & a knife to separate it from the plastic.

View attachment 3792629
We can then take the card & attach it to the back of the SD card. Theoretically it should be able to read all 3 cards at the same time. The pins are clearly visible for the SD Card and both sim cards when in the slot. I'm in the US so I won't be able to test my theory out until it launches here, if someone wants to try it and report back that would be awesome! I'll end up getting this phone regardless, but if this works it'd just be icing on the cake!

Edit: Thanks to 'jkuczera' we have a couple videos for you to see it.

We have confirmation that the mod works for the Axon 7 guys! 2 Sim cards & an SD card!

Part one of two

Part two of two

Last edited:

Cypher_01

Nov 18, 2012
Wow, nice idea! I thought about opening the phone and see if there's room inside to move the contacts for the second SIM card to a different place, maybe with flat cables, but in this case, the second SIM wouldn't be replaceable on the fly.

How thick is the disassembled SIM card? Is the chip flat enough to minimize the pressure on both cards? I think about if we have to worry about both SIM and SD card getting damaged.

aivilon

Jan 26, 2011
Zürich
www.wyssfotos.ch
hmm...damn didn't know about that Slot when i preorderet one...

But this hack is awesome as hell! i think i gonna do it when i got the phone and some reports, that this truly will work.

Harmtan2

Feb 26, 2013
Salt Lake City
Wow, nice idea! I thought about opening the phone and see if there's room inside to move the contacts for the second SIM card to a different place, maybe with flat cables, but in this case, the second SIM wouldn't be replaceable on the fly.

The disassembled card is super thin, I really wouldn't be worried about damage from the pressure to either peice.

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

djona12

Aug 25, 2012
Liège
Taking this topic to the top again, very interested in this tweak !
Anyone has tried it or is willing to try it ? Thanks :).

jkuczera

Dec 16, 2008

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-02-22-44-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-02-22-44-55.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 809
  • Screenshot_2016-08-02-22-42-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-02-22-42-56.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 807
Reactions: Harmtan2 and FuMMoD

jkuczera

Dec 16, 2008
Do you think double sided tape would work?
I thought about using double sided tape but it would really need to be thin. The great thing about the hot glue is it can be removed cleanly and won't stick to the inside of the phone.

I haven't had any problems yet and I anticipate the phone would be in pretty bad shape if it received the force required to dislodge the SIM card.

Reactions: celticchrys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here is the AXON Sim Tray.
    View attachment 3792627
    It looks like it is either SD Card or Sim Card and not both at the same time with the way the slot works. (People who have it can confirm whether or not it's true.) But I have a theory of how to get both at the same time.

View attachment 3792628
    With the above photo, you can see that I took the sim card out of they plastic using a hair dryer, some scissors to cut the edges off, & a knife to separate it from the plastic.

View attachment 3792629
    We can then take the card & attach it to the back of the SD card. Theoretically it should be able to read all 3 cards at the same time. The pins are clearly visible for the SD Card and both sim cards when in the slot. I'm in the US so I won't be able to test my theory out until it launches here, if someone wants to try it and report back that would be awesome! I'll end up getting this phone regardless, but if this works it'd just be icing on the cake!

Edit: Thanks to 'jkuczera' we have a couple videos for you to see it.

We have confirmation that the mod works for the Axon 7 guys! 2 Sim cards & an SD card!

Part one of two

Part two of two
    Success!

Dude! That is awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on it soon.

Managed to make it a somewhat temporary modification. Now I need to order a proper microSD! :D

Youtube linked below:

Part 1 of 2
    Part 2 of 2
    Quick update:

I just successfully performed with mod using double sided tape. Wasn't working at first, apparently I had the sim upside down. Once I turned it around it worked like a charm.

I had to be careful sliding the tray in to keep the sim from moving out of place. I just used my nail while pushing it in to keep it in place.

Took a little video. I'll try and edit it to make it more concise. I've never edited video before so give me the weekend and I'll see if I can find some help.

I modded my main sim and placed it as SIM 2 as that one stays with the Axon 7 and left my secondary sim un-moded so I can keep using it in my other phone when desired.

Tools:
    1. Phone
    2. Sim card to be moded.
    3. MicroSD card
    4. Heat gun or heat source
    5. pocket knife
    6. Scotch Double sided tape

Steps:
    *Attempt at your own risk.I'm not responsible if you damage you cards or your device. ;)

1. Apply heat to SIM, careful not to destroy it. Little by little.
    2 Once you get separation use the knife/blade to remove. mine came out very easily once it separated.
    3. Cut a small piece of double sided tape and place it on the bottom of the MicroSD card aprox where the SIM should go.
    4. Place SIM on tape and give it a good squeeze (not I didn't bother cutting the SIM any smaller)
    5. Insert MicroSD with attached SIM into tray (make sure SIM is straight and aligned).
    6. Add second SIM
    7. Insert tray while holding MicroSD and SIM. Once first SIM is inserted stun upside down so you can see and keep second SIM in place while inserting the tray the remainder of the way. Use your finder or fingernail to keep SIM from sliding too far back. You will have to apply some pressure but not too much.
    8. Make sure tray is inserted completely then check to see that there are two sets of signal bars for the two SIMS.

NOTE: make sure the modded SIM is not upside down, mine wasn't working until i flipped it into the correct orientation.

Good luck.
    I will when I get my device tomorrow

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, i'll be eagerly waiting for an update :D.
    Pretty sure this is going to work. I had to use an old SIM card in slot2; I'll try a working one tomorrow.