Customizing

Search This thread
Dec 25, 2011
Hi, I got a KF when it came out last year. I wanted to give it to my niece this year for her birthday. I'd like to put something other than the KF OS on it. Maybe CM9? That seems to be popular around here. Also I'd like to customize the screens so that a 4 year old can get to what they need and not get lost in all the extras.

Q1: Can anyone recommend an OS for it? CM7, CM9 or other. I don't need it to have all the gadgets or widgets. Just wifi, video, sound and the google market. Maybe I can strip down something already made?

Q2: I guess I would have to make some sort of custom theme for it. Does anyone know of one for kids? I want to get rid of the carousel and do maybe 3-5 BIG icons on the main screen. No extra screens (swipe to next screen). And a password protected settings icon.

I've done lots of windows and Mac programming before, but no android yet. I've got the SDK and have gone through several beginner tutorials ("Hello World", ect.)

Thanks.

daggy1985

Feb 7, 2011
Cm7 is quite stable, and its been fun customizing it to my liking. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

Dec 25, 2011
Ok cool. I'll start on CM7 then. Do I need to modify the source code to customize it or can I just manipulate the configuration files and graphics?

pinios

Dec 22, 2011
If it's for kids, maybe the easier way should be:
  • Keep stock rom
  • Root KF. do not register in order to keep out amazon's further upgrades
  • Install the apps you like
  • Set another launcher as default and customize it as you like. Hide/unistall what you think the kids don't need

No need to flash roms, IMO

AustinFire

Feb 2, 2012
Pensacola
OnePlus 9 Pro

Jessical

Jan 15, 2007
CM7 is the only one that can do video for now. I recommend you use GO Launcher or the stock one. Don't go too overboard trying to make your own. Actually did one a few years ago for my brother to browse the internet.

Desktop VisualizeR lets you do "stickers" and put them where you please and then point them to an app. Kinda like this:

simple.png

Dec 25, 2011
That's a really nice screenshot you have. Is that with the stock KF OS? or did you put something else on? I've downloaded the app, but the icons I get are always small, even when I give it a big image. Do I have to buy their image crop app or another one of theirs to get mine to look as good as yours?