TWRP Backup - cache, recovery

Search This thread

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
Hi all.

I've been doing backups of my Nexus 5 with TRWP. I chose all options, that is I added 'cache' and 'recovery'.

Question: Is that bad? Should I not backup those?

Thanks.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Just use the ones it defaults to, system, data, boot. You don't need to backup the others. same with wipe, just use the slider thing. Messing with the others can get you on trouble
One other thing, make one backup of the efs only and store that in a safe place off your phone

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Just use the ones it defaults to, system, data, boot. You don't need to backup the others. same with wipe, just use the slider thing. Messing with the others can get you on trouble
One other thing, make one backup of the efs only and store that in a safe place off your phone

Can I recommend having 2 different efs backups on the phone and a copy of each off the phone?

That way you're mitigating the risk of one backup being incomplete and the risk of corruption through transferring the files "offsite"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jd1639 and 3DSammy

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
Wow. So it is indeed bad. Why?

What i did:
Backup01: Restore phone to defaults, root, backup of all (including cache and recovery).
Backup02: Configure my phone, backup of all (including cache and recovery).
Backup03: Install apps, backup of all (including cache and recovery).

Should I restore to each of them and make a new backup without cache and recovery?

Thanks.

Can I recommend having 2 different efs backups on the phone and a copy of each off the phone?

That way you're mitigating the risk of one backup being incomplete and the risk of corruption through transferring the files "offsite"

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Wow. So it is indeed bad. Why?

What i did:
Backup01: Restore phone to defaults, root, backup of all (including cache and recovery).
Backup02: Configure my phone, backup of all (including cache and recovery).
Backup03: Install apps, backup of all (including cache and recovery).

Should I restore to each of them and make a new backup without cache and recovery?

Thanks.

What you did isn't bad, it's just the backups will be larger and they have information in them you don't need. Recovery is your twrp recovery and the cache will be recreated when you boot your device

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
What you did isn't bad, it's just the backups will be larger and they have information in them you don't need. Recovery is your twrp recovery and the cache will be recreated when you boot your device

OK I see. Then can I just keep those backups with all efs, cache and recovery included? May it lead to problems in future restores?

Thank you!

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
OK I see. Then can I just keep those backups with all efs, cache and recovery included? May it lead to problems in future restores?

Thank you!

You should be ok. The one thing you never want to do is restore an efs partition from one phone onto another phone. That is an instant hosed phone that you can't recovery from.

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
You should be ok. The one thing you never want to do is restore an efs partition from one phone onto another phone. That is an instant hosed phone that you can't recovery from.

Yes... I'm reading several articles on that! Pretty scary... I'm gonna do as rootSU suggested and make 2 different backups and store 2 copies offsite, somewhere cloud-based...

I'll then keep these backups I made with all selected. With your first post I thought... I don't know... that maybe restoring these images with all recovery, cache and efs might lead to problems when booting.
If I understand correctly, this is not the case, I just misunderstood you, what you meant is that "it doesn't hurt, it's just not needed", right?

Thank you jd!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.