Globalsat SD-502 & The Universal - 2 Retrn or Not 2 Rtrn

Return or Not to Return.....

• Return it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until the return 30 day period is up and see if the problem is solved - if not, return it. (alt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

CuT

Dec 5, 2005
Right, So I was stupid i admit it - I brought a SD-502 for my O2 Exec without really checking its compatability.

As we all know - The SD-502 does NOT work with the HTC Universal/JasJar/the other 5000 names it can be called. BUT heres the question:

Do I-

A) Return it and get the TomTom BT SIRF III instead

B) Keep it - because its great and works with brilliance in my XDA IIi (although I have just sold it) and hope that GlobalSat resolve the problem soon.

I really like the SD-502 (mostly because i havent got to charge it) but if they never bring out a driver because they find out it can never be fixed then im kinda screwed. I have phoned GlobalSat and they are well aware of the problem but say they cant be sure of when a driver will be released. The SD-502 has been out for a month and has had 2 new driver releases since - so, so far so good.

Let me know your comments.

joebongo

Jun 8, 2005
Return it - I can personally recommend the holux gpslim236 (sirf iii job as well).

Joe

universaldoc

Sep 4, 2005
I use the GPSlim 236 and i haveta say its one nifty lil bugger. Extremely happy with it. If i am not mistaken, its the smallest BT GPS available today and looks great too.

How much was the SD-502 for?

coldpenguin

Nov 26, 2005
£125 including software? I was going to say that was a bargain, but then I remembered that it doesn't work for you. :(

CuT

Dec 5, 2005
Yeah yeah rub it in :)

Its not including the software - I have TomTom 5 seperate!

They have to release a driver to make the HTC universal work with it surely..............right?

coldpenguin

Nov 26, 2005
Was going to send the following, then by luck scrolled down 1 more line on the attached page. DRAT

I would reckon that as it says the drivers are compatible with WM5, that you would be within your rights to require the manufacturers to either make the drivers work on WM5, or to request them to take down their claim that the drivers are WM5 compatible. Otherwise then your only recourse is to return the card.

<<Found it.

Try this page: http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=33786&highlight=sd+502+work+globalsat

Contact the first poster and see what they are doing. I started looking at the SD-502 because of the post saying that the receiver works with the holder.

Looks like they released the driver 1 week ago
>>
Gareth

CuT

Dec 5, 2005
hehe - that was the post that made me buy the 502. Unfortunately the way he wrote the post seemed like it was tried and tested with his JasJar. I contacted him a few days ago to see what settings Alanplum used but he couldnt asnwer. Now I know why.

Obviously this is an easy mistake - as WM5 drivers should make it work. Yet what i have learnt from other threads/forums etc is that the drivers do work with other WM5 devices but its how the SDIO slot on the HTC Universal is accessed that makes it uncompatible with any drivers at the moment.

I really have hope that they might release something soon.............come on GlobalSat.....you need the extra sales for Christmas.

coldpenguin

Nov 26, 2005
Are there any SDIO GPS systems that would work with the universal? I was thinking about a unit for myself for christmas, but by the looks of it I will be getting a BT one instead.

alanplum

Apr 12, 2005
Bristol
I would keep it. I have contacted Globalsat engineers and they are working to get a resolution.

Device Used: IMATE JASJAR
Operating System: Windows Mobile 5
Problem or Question: I have installed the 1.32 driver but it still doesn't work with my JASJAR. Do you have a driver that does.
Error Message: N/A
How to Duplicate Problem: Plug it in to a JASJAR
Device Changes: 1.32 drivers from http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=17&catid

Support Ticket History
Submitted: 12/13/2005 1:16:19 PM
Email Sent to: xxx
Text Sent to Customer: Thank you for contacting USGlobalsat's online care. From the submitted information, we have informed our engineering staff for possible solutions. As soon as information becomes available, a notification will be provided.

joebongo

Jun 8, 2005
if they are working on a fix, ask what stage it is in > design, build, test etc and see if there is a delivery date.

if not, you may be left hanging for an unknown length of time, whereas the others work now.

also, are you sure about this SDIO lark?

CuT

Dec 5, 2005
Alanplum - have you got any further information on this?? I think im going to send my SD-502 back tomorrow.....think I have to exchange it though so I cant get a GPSlim as they dont sell me!

Will have to be the new TOMTOM SIRFIII one......thats just a good I hope.

joebongo

Jun 8, 2005
I'm sure it will be if it's sirf III technology inside.

Hope you enjoy it, and prepare for a short battle when you are setting up ;-)

Ineedtoys

joebongo said:
if they are working on a fix, ask what stage it is in > design, build, test etc and see if there is a delivery date.

if not, you may be left hanging for an unknown length of time, whereas the others work now.
Agreed. Looks like a standard 1st line support response to me. All they've said is they've passed it on to their engineering staff. Doesn't say if they have actually identified the issue, are working on a fix, or if they've even read the email :) If it's the SDIO implemention at fault, then you may never see a working driver (e.g. ref: Treo 600 broken SDIO, still not working on 650).

CuT

Dec 5, 2005
Globalsat has replied to my email - thought I would share:

Hi,

Thanks for the enquiry.

We do not have an exact date of when the SD502 will be compatible with the JasJar. We are looking to have it working by the end of March.

Globalsat UK

joebongo

Jun 8, 2005
I reckon change it for a compatible one, unless you are prepared to gamble and wait around for it to work.