[MOD][XPOSED][4.4+] Force Translucent KitKat [V3][4.23]

Search This thread

StephenMilone

Nov 10, 2009
New York
This module will force the apps selected to use the new Kit Kat Translucent Navbar and Status bar. When loaded, this app loads a list view of all your installed apps and you can freely select which to turn on.

Options per app include:
- Translucent Navigation Bar
- Translucent Status Bar
- Top Padding
- Bottom Padding

The padding options were added because some apps (especially those with Action Bars) will end up having useful information and buttons hidden under the now translucent system bars. The padding option forces the app to be in a smaller window so you can still enjoy both the translucent system bars & the whole view for the app.

Overall options include:
- Import/Export Settings : the settings per app can be exported and imported into a CSV file. Useful for testing things out while having a fail safe, switching devices, or sharing your values. CSV files open wonderfully in Excel and Google Docs
- Multi Edit : After selecting multi edit, you are brought to a screen with the 4 per app options, set them as you desire, then you are brought back to the main app list, select which apps you want your new config you just did applied to. It will overwrite all settings for the apps selected, unselected apps aren't changed.

The following apps work wonderful with translucent nav and status bar and padding of 0 for both top and bottom:
- Aviate
- Google Search (aka Google Now)
- Imgur
- XDA (The top nav buttons are big enough to still touch)
- Cal
- Threes

The following apps required me to do the top padding of 145 to achieve full functionality:
- Floating Widget (shameless plug)
- Xposed Installer
- Gmail / Email
- Google Play Store

Please share your results in the thread.

Without saying, this will only install on API 19+ (4.4)

https://github.com/StephenMilone/XposedMod_ForceTranslucentKitKat
http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.milone.xposed

Attachments

• XposedTransKitKat.apk
    41.5 KB · Views: 44,270
  • XposedTransKitKat2.apk
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,998
  • XposedTransKitKat3.apk
    47.9 KB · Views: 12,781
Last edited:

krackers

Oct 20, 2010
Are you able to choose which apps have forced translucence? Also, would it be possible to create a module that does the opposite and prevents translucency in selected apps?

Reactions: GuitarGuy96

StephenMilone

Nov 10, 2009
New York
Are you able to choose which apps have forced translucence? Also, would it be possible to create a module that does the opposite and prevents translucency in selected apps?

yes it has a UI with a listview sorry i didnt make that clear. I'll edit the post in a few.

I can look into a way to turn it off, which app you have in mind so i can test with that.

Exedion

Sep 8, 2011
very good module!! is missing some features like extra top/button margin for apps with buttons in these areas

harland3

Feb 9, 2011
San Diego, CA
Great module, thank you.

Just a suggestion, but it would be nice if there were an option to only force transparency on the navigation bar.

With so many apps having an action bar up top, forced transparency on the status bar isn't really feasible.

But most apps don't have features at the bottom of the screen, so stretching the background to go behind the navigation bar isn't a problem for the most part.

sien1996

Jul 21, 2013
Singapore
This is really promising, some apps work flawlessly but some are just...umm.. :eek::eek: well on my phone, Chrome, Facebook run perfect, BBC News, Tapatalk, Google+,pushbullet and my contacts(People) app give weird results, can't test cause I need my phone, but this is just really cool.
Keep up the good work :D
Cheers :good::good:

Reactions: aalupatti

xenon92

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 20, 2013
shubhangrathore.com
OnePlus 9 Pro
2a7ave7y.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Cintulek

Apr 10, 2012
Wroclaw
It will be cool if you will add an option to change transparency separate: nav bar or/with status bar

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

shmykelsa

Nov 21, 2013
Lecce
OnePlus 6T
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Very buggy here, I'm on CM11, and with this moudule, content starts just from the very top of the screen, under the action bar, so I can't even tap the first object of the list. This happens in Whatsapp, for example. On apps like Facebook action bar is below status bar icons, and the look is kinda messy. Are there any known bugs of compatibility with tinted sb?

Reactions: kk9999gada

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This module will force the apps selected to use the new Kit Kat Translucent Navbar and Status bar. When loaded, this app loads a list view of all your installed apps and you can freely select which to turn on.

Options per app include:
    - Translucent Navigation Bar
    - Translucent Status Bar
    - Top Padding
    - Bottom Padding

The padding options were added because some apps (especially those with Action Bars) will end up having useful information and buttons hidden under the now translucent system bars. The padding option forces the app to be in a smaller window so you can still enjoy both the translucent system bars & the whole view for the app.

Overall options include:
    - Import/Export Settings : the settings per app can be exported and imported into a CSV file. Useful for testing things out while having a fail safe, switching devices, or sharing your values. CSV files open wonderfully in Excel and Google Docs
    - Multi Edit : After selecting multi edit, you are brought to a screen with the 4 per app options, set them as you desire, then you are brought back to the main app list, select which apps you want your new config you just did applied to. It will overwrite all settings for the apps selected, unselected apps aren't changed.

The following apps work wonderful with translucent nav and status bar and padding of 0 for both top and bottom:
    - Aviate
    - Google Search (aka Google Now)
    - Imgur
    - XDA (The top nav buttons are big enough to still touch)
    - Cal
    - Threes

The following apps required me to do the top padding of 145 to achieve full functionality:
    - Floating Widget (shameless plug)
    - Xposed Installer
    - Gmail / Email
    - Google Play Store

Please share your results in the thread.

Without saying, this will only install on API 19+ (4.4)

https://github.com/StephenMilone/XposedMod_ForceTranslucentKitKat
    http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.milone.xposed
    Just wondering, couldn't be an option to do something like G2 xposed does? (expand the action bar color in padding and add the gradient over it, and do the inverse to the navigation bar with the same color added on the statusbar padding):

Examples:

wU9UfOM.jpg

JaHhb8X.png

sZSR0CC.png

GLHYVTV.png

njI23FV.png
    thanks for all the feedback everyone, just to outline some things i noticed

• Fixed the xposed repo package name typo - should be good now
    • Making just the nav bar transparent results in the top part of the app still going under the status bar. But this is being worked on.
    • This translucent nav bar/status bar feature was never designed to work on apps that use an action bar! So when using this module on an app that uses it, you can't expect perfect results
    • I did discover a feature in android layouts called fitsSystemWindows - forcing that true may help. stay tuned.
    I did a few trial and error runs at trying to get the keyboard to trigger the mods to turn off, but nothing worked...and I don't see an need for any other big changes, so i commented up the source and have put it on github, link in the first post.

just note, I created this just as a proof of concept with zero intention of pushing it out. I really appreciate all the notice it has gotten (including XDA's front page) but at it's heart it's still just a proof a concept, and I saw a bunch of comments about specific apps being broken (Hangouts, Facebook, Google Plus) - I even noticed MLB At Bat is busted cause the padding, while needed for the action bar, ruins full screen videos. Those won't be worked on on my end...I'm onto my next Android project.

So please, any time this mod doesnt work as expected on a certain app... that should be things brought to that app's developer to update their code so this mod isn't needed as there clearly is a demand for this feature across the board.
    version 3 uploaded. No actual xposed changes, alot of UI functions were added. please see the first post.

the permission write external storage was added for the import/export function.