Replicating 4.2.X "sod" and what it means..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
As we all know(or should know if you read around the forums) that there is an issue with "sod". Now these sods are not the same as the sod i was familiar with before 4.2. Before 4.2, the device(s) were for all intensive purposes not alive. Sure you could connect to adb, but the device was "dead" until you pulled the battery and rebooted. But with these 4.2 "sods", the device is alive, with the exception of the screen not being able to turn on. Phone calls and messages still come in. notification sounds still play, and you can use the volume buttons to raise/lower the volume. But you still have to pull the battery and reboot for the screen to come back on. Running logcats via adb doesnt seem to show anything related. Well, ive found a way to reproduce these 4.2.X "sods" while the device is awake with the screen on. I can reproduce it at will, and have had other users confirm this. What i do is this.. I go into the main settings, display, then brightness. Turn off automatic brightness if its on. Now adjust the brightness, up, then down, then up(back and forth, but take your finger off the slider when you go up then down). now press ok to set the brightness. Go back into the brightness setting and repeat. Eventually(sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes) the screen goes completely black, like its off, but the device is completely awake. same as these 4.2 sods, phone calls and messages come in, notifications sound, etc. Only difference is the device screen is on when it goes black instead of it being off. The symptoms are the same. This behavior leads me to believe that it most likely isnt a kernel issue like many believe. I believe that its related to some coding that controls the screen. As we know, every rom/kernel has shown this behavior, even stock and unrooted(some more, some less). Personally, i had 3 of these sods last month(trinity kernel/rasbean rom), but i know that some users have them many times a day unfortunately. What could it mean that i can replicate this behavior on an awake device? Any more thoughts about this?

peikojose

May 13, 2012
Reactions: ak and simms22

Ashtrix

Dec 21, 2010
Why does this not happen on N4, N7 and N10 :confused:

+ never had an SoD in this wee k (Running anarkia's stable berserk releases, only on 511 & 515 / Jellybro )

Last edited:
it does. just not as often/widespread as with the gnex. ive seen enough reported with the n7 and n4(i havent read any reports with the n10 though).

Sometimes I have my screen say go off but I will click the lock button The screen don't come on but it is still responding. Meaning I can still unlock the device as vibration tells me if I click the ring or not. So this is all down to the SOD? WoW. Learn something new everyday. I am on Xenon-HD 11-12-12 but also had it on stock too. With me though to fix this it just required to to press the power button a few time then the screen returned. Honestly I don't find it annoying at all UNLESS I need to say make a call to my local emergency services. (999 in UK). That is the only time. My nexus S does the same too with the screen but only after I had the NAND chip replaced by Samsung. Hope you guys can find something and my bit of info helps a little.

Regards

Jessie-James

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Sometimes I have my screen say go off but I will click the lock button The screen don't come on but it is still responding. Meaning I can still unlock the device as vibration tells me if I click the ring or not. So this is all down to the SOD? WoW. Learn something new everyday. I am on Xenon-HD 11-12-12 but also had it on stock too. With me though to fix this it just required to to press the power button a few time then the screen returned. Honestly I don't find it annoying at all UNLESS I need to say make a call to my local emergency services. (999 in UK). That is the only time. My nexus S does the same too with the screen but only after I had the NAND chip replaced by Samsung. Hope you guys can find something and my bit of info helps a little.

Regards

Jessie-James

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

if your device wakes, even after a few presses, its not sod.

MondoMor

Jan 9, 2011
A battery pull isn't necessary; you can shut down the phone with a little practice (depending on your lockscreen).

1. Press the power button (or wait) to lock the phone
2. Press the power button again and unlock
3. [optional] Press the home button (center of screen near bottom edge)
4. Press and hold the power button until a short vibration is felt.
5. Touch the Power Off button (center of the screen just below a horizontal line from the midpoint of the volume rocker). This puts you in the Power Off confirmation dialog.
6. Touch the screen in the approximate location of the "OK" button. I start at the middle on the right side and work my way down. Soon I get the long vibration telling me the phone has powered off. This is the hardest to master since feedback isn't immediate; the long vibration happens several seconds after I successfully hit the OK button.
7. If nothing happens, press the power button to re-lock and start again.
8. Practice when the phone is functioning normally, and you'll be prepared for your next SOD.

My observations (bone stock GSM phone):

This happened once in a pitch-black room. The screen does not go perfectly dark, but it is extremely dim and uniformly grey. I could not make out any details, so the contrast is completely gone.

SOD happens all the time playing Ingress, or other apps where the screen is active for a long time. It seems to happen most often when the display partly dims before going to sleep. My phone is set to sleep at 30 seconds, and the "pre-dim" happens at about 25 seconds. That's usually where I get my SODs.

SOD happens to me less often with auto-brightness set to OFF. It's extremely rare in normal use (but happened just now as I replied to a text!)

Reactions: Lazat and simms22

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
A battery pull isn't necessary; you can shut down the phone with a little practice (depending on your lockscreen).

1. Press the power button (or wait) to lock the phone
2. Press the power button again and unlock
3. [optional] Press the home button (center of screen near bottom edge)
4. Press and hold the power button until a short vibration is felt.
5. Touch the Power Off button (center of the screen just below a horizontal line from the midpoint of the volume rocker). This puts you in the Power Off confirmation dialog.
6. Touch the screen in the approximate location of the "OK" button. I start at the middle on the right side and work my way down. Soon I get the long vibration telling me the phone has powered off. This is the hardest to master since feedback isn't immediate; the long vibration happens several seconds after I successfully hit the OK button.
7. If nothing happens, press the power button to re-lock and start again.
8. Practice when the phone is functioning normally, and you'll be prepared for your next SOD.

My observations (bone stock GSM phone):

This happened once in a pitch-black room. The screen does not go perfectly dark, but it is extremely dim and uniformly grey. I could not make out any details, so the contrast is completely gone.

SOD happens all the time playing Ingress, or other apps where the screen is active for a long time. It seems to happen most often when the display partly dims before going to sleep. My phone is set to sleep at 30 seconds, and the "pre-dim" happens at about 25 seconds. That's usually where I get my SODs.

SOD happens to me less often with auto-brightness set to OFF. It's extremely rare in normal use (but happened just now as I replied to a text!)

wouldnt it be easier to just pull the battery? thank you for your observations btw.

e34v8

Mar 8, 2011
simms22, I actually think it is a kernel issue. I only experience SOD problems when i use a custom kernel. Also yesterday I flashed stock 4.2.1 and tried for 10 min to replicate SOD using your method - I could not. Today I tried again - nothing.

MondoMor

Jan 9, 2011
wouldnt it be easier to just pull the battery? thank you for your observations btw.

My phone is in an Incipio case, and it's more of a pain to separate the case, especially if I'm in my car or out hiking or whatever. I've gotten pretty good at doing it blind. Also, years of running Windows have made me anal about doing orderly shutdowns. :laugh:

Forgot to add earlier: I was unable to replicate with the technique described in the OP. But as long as someone can get this to happen on demand, it ought to be solvable.

Edit: although I got the SOD in normal usage a few minutes after trying the technique in the OP. Maybe the display SODs on some specific number of brightness changes? That would explain it happening more often with autobrightness, also.

Last edited:

OtavioMalzone

Jun 22, 2012
we cannot pull out the battery and fix the SoD on those devices so how could we fix that on N4 & N7 ?

Just hold down the power button for several seconds. Continue to hold down the power button until the screen blinks off and the boot logo appears.
We are flooding here.. lets discusse this other place and leave the devs alone here :)

Reactions: Ashtrix

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
i dont know how replicate this 4.2 SOD, but there is a simple way to avoid it, put all animations inside developers option to 1.0

it doesnt happen anymore to me, stock rom and kernel (i have automatic brightess on if this can matter)

if i put all animations to off or to 0.5, when the screen time out and became black, sometimes it doesnt wake anymore..4.2 sod

Last edited:

biscuitownz

Apr 22, 2011
i dont know how replicate this 4.2 SOD, but there is a simple way to avoid it, put all animations inside developers option to 1.0

it doesnt happen anymore to me, stock rom and kernel (i have automatic brightess on if this can matter)

if i put all animations to off or to 0.5, when the screen time out and became black, sometimes it doesnt wake anymore..4.2 sod

When I was running the first few nightlies of CM10.1 it still did the "sod" on me. By default the animation settings are at 1.0. Not sure if it's different on stock.

spacemanr

Jan 23, 2011
I've had several sod's daily for last few day's and today finally flashed RBJ from the beginning plus dax's modified kernel and now i'm in watching phase. So far so good.

Last edited:

peikojose

May 13, 2012
I have time without any sod... Maybe because I'm trying not to use auto brightness or because of the lastest versions of Francos kernel... Stock ROM

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As we all know(or should know if you read around the forums) that there is an issue with "sod". Now these sods are not the same as the sod i was familiar with before 4.2. Before 4.2, the device(s) were for all intensive purposes not alive. Sure you could connect to adb, but the device was "dead" until you pulled the battery and rebooted. But with these 4.2 "sods", the device is alive, with the exception of the screen not being able to turn on. Phone calls and messages still come in. notification sounds still play, and you can use the volume buttons to raise/lower the volume. But you still have to pull the battery and reboot for the screen to come back on. Running logcats via adb doesnt seem to show anything related. Well, ive found a way to reproduce these 4.2.X "sods" while the device is awake with the screen on. I can reproduce it at will, and have had other users confirm this. What i do is this.. I go into the main settings, display, then brightness. Turn off automatic brightness if its on. Now adjust the brightness, up, then down, then up(back and forth, but take your finger off the slider when you go up then down). now press ok to set the brightness. Go back into the brightness setting and repeat. Eventually(sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes) the screen goes completely black, like its off, but the device is completely awake. same as these 4.2 sods, phone calls and messages come in, notifications sound, etc. Only difference is the device screen is on when it goes black instead of it being off. The symptoms are the same. This behavior leads me to believe that it most likely isnt a kernel issue like many believe. I believe that its related to some coding that controls the screen. As we know, every rom/kernel has shown this behavior, even stock and unrooted(some more, some less). Personally, i had 3 of these sods last month(trinity kernel/rasbean rom), but i know that some users have them many times a day unfortunately. What could it mean that i can replicate this behavior on an awake device? Any more thoughts about this?
    I think we can close this, Google fixed this ****. Thanks for the contributions guys.
    maybe someone using another kernel/rom can try to reproduce this?
    I haven't tried your method yet. I'll and post my results here. I was able to replicate it using another program (check the links below)

But reading your post, I'm sure now that SOD has to do with autobrightness or brightness control (knowing that, maybe it is easy to solve?)

Check my posts:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35205418#post35205418
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35496824#post35496824
    during one of these so called sod..
    also it seams like the brightness gets set to 0 and doesnt adjust up.

D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 67ms
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 102ms
    D/BluetoothAdapter( 751): 1112730840: getState() : mService = null. Returning STATE_OFF
    D/dalvikvm( 1164): GC_CONCURRENT freed 413K, 6% free 8951K/9444K, paused 5ms+2ms, total 34ms
    D/dalvikvm( 751): GC_CONCURRENT freed 392K, 5% free 9877K/10376K, paused 5ms+2ms, total 37ms
    D/BluetoothAdapter( 751): 1112730840: getState() : mService = null. Returning STATE_OFF
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 66ms
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 100ms
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 68ms
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 101ms
    I/PlumeService_46000( 1525): start service from boot now
    V/Plume_46000( 1525): prepare the clock to check the outbox service in 2 minutes
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 99ms
    D/dalvikvm( 668): GC_CONCURRENT freed 577K, 13% free 10890K/12404K, paused 3ms+2ms, total 25ms
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 65ms
    D/dalvikvm( 951): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 316K, 6% free 9538K/10108K, paused 55ms, total 55ms
    I/dalvikvm-heap( 951): Grow heap (frag case) to 9.402MB for 65552-byte allocation
    D/dalvikvm( 951): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 0K, 6% free 9602K/10176K, paused 16ms, total 16ms
    D/dalvikvm( 751): GC_CONCURRENT freed 386K, 5% free 9877K/10328K, paused 4ms+1ms, total 22ms
    D/dalvikvm( 495): GC_CONCURRENT freed 10210K, 36% free 18901K/29136K, paused 6ms+5ms, total 59ms
    D/LightsService( 389): Excessive delay setting light: 64ms