Anybody have an update on unlocking the bootloader

Search This thread

droidfreak02

Feb 27, 2013
I know verizon in getting close to pushing out the new kitkat but i dont want to take the update if we have a unlock bootloader in sight

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

pimpmaneaton

Inactive Recognized Contributor
We're still hard at work, but we've still got a ways to go. We're still in the research/discovery phase. I'd just update.

Awesome @ryanbg glad to hear that some devs are still looking into it. Wish I knew more about how to do something that intensive but my knowledge is limited to custom stock roms and compiling and modifying from source. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
Awesome @ryanbg glad to hear that some devs are still looking into it. Wish I knew more about how to do something that intensive but my knowledge is limited to custom stock roms and compiling and modifying from source. Thanks for the update.

I was about where you were at in October. I've got a decent chunk of Linux/C experience, but most of it is just reading/learning/searching and putting the pieces together. It's just really time consuming :eek:

Walter.White

Nov 28, 2013
Unfortunately there are currently only two devs working on this @ryanbg (he is mostly working on N3) and @Surge1223 (he is mostly working on S4).

Here are the things needed for any phone to be unlocked.
1. Large userbase.
2. Most (if not all) variants of the phone has locked bootloader.
3. No developer edition phone.
4. Ungreedy dev who is not going to sell off the exploit to the oem or carrier in exchange of money.
5. Nice enough "guaranteed" bounty for it to be worth dev's time.
6. Dev who is not scared to be sued by the carrier/oem for releasing unlocked bootloader/exploit/signing key.

And in this case we are missing most of the above requirements, if not all.

Last edited:

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
Unfortunately there are currently only two devs working on this @ryanbg (he is mostly working on N3) and @Surge1223 (he is mostly working on S4).

1. Large userbase.
4. Ungreedy dev who is not going to sell off the exploit to the oem or carrier in exchange of money.
6. Dev who is not scared to be sued by the carrier/oem for releasing unlocked bootloader/exploit/signing key.

Well from what I understand there have been a few posts on other forums about Adam Outler posting a picture on his G+ showing Secure boot off but he later had to delete it because people didn't understand that Sboot being off isn't the same as a bootloader unlock. So maybe if he can get that far there is a way for everyone to do it and the right hole just hasn't been found yet. I am very very proud of our devs and think if anyone can do it it will be someone on XDA. I am hoping for a bootloader unlock but I have to agree it does look a bit grim.

Walter.White

Nov 28, 2013
Well from what I understand there have been a few posts on other forums about Adam Outler posting a picture on his G+ showing Secure boot off but he later had to delete it because people didn't understand that Sboot being off isn't the same as a bootloader unlock. So maybe if he can get that far there is a way for everyone to do it and the right hole just hasn't been found yet. I am very very proud of our devs and think if anyone can do it it will be someone on XDA. I am hoping for a bootloader unlock but I have to agree it does look a bit grim.

Nah. It was actually @ryanbg who achieved that secureboot:none status and it was his picture that he sent it to adam :) AFAIK adam doesn't even have note 3 :p (ppl where trying to crowd fund it but mods kept deleting those threads for one reason or another..so he actually never got N3 in his hand).

P.S. I'm just hoping that some dev has already cracked the bootloader but is waiting on S5 release before posting it. :fingers-crossed: @designgears already has the S5 firmware but hasn't posted it yet.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We're still hard at work, but we've still got a ways to go. We're still in the research/discovery phase. I'd just update.

1. Large userbase.

I was about where you were at in October. I've got a decent chunk of Linux/C experience, but most of it is just reading/learning/searching and putting the pieces together. It's just really time consuming :eek:
    It is sad how quickly people are dismissing it as impossible. people said the same thing about the Razor...