HTC Desire - keeps restarting

Search This thread

andy1982

May 4, 2010
When i use my Desire to access the internet using my mobile network the phone restarts at random points doesnt happen when i connect via wifi tho.

Another strange accurance was i was using my wifi when my phone was charging and it randomly shut off and vibrated numerous times and when i started it back up it got to the htc quietly brilliant screen and then back to the htc screen in a loop until i unplugged the charger and started it up, which then got me to the menu screen

Anyone else experienced any of these????

potter1984

Jan 11, 2009
Bristol
When i use my Desire to access the internet using my mobile network the phone restarts at random points doesnt happen when i connect via wifi tho.

Another strange accurance was i was using my wifi when my phone was charging and it randomly shut off and vibrated numerous times and when i started it back up it got to the htc quietly brilliant screen and then back to the htc screen in a loop until i unplugged the charger and started it up, which then got me to the menu screen

Anyone else experienced any of these????

Why people love posting with no info??????.....................

Im no expert but if i had a problem and needed help, i would at the very least provide a few details about my device,

IE: has it been rooted, have you messed about in adb shell without knowing what your doing, What network your on, if you have anything like apps2sd on it, basically BASIC details that will help the people that know deal with your problem a LOT quicker and more accuratly.

IDK could just be me that would want to know these kinda things.

andy1982

May 4, 2010
no its not been rooted, havent messed about with it only installed

Snesoid
Nesoid
GBCoid
Gensoid
Advanced task killer
Astro File Manager
Beebplayer
Shazam

Im on Vodafone

potter1984

Jan 11, 2009
Bristol
no its not been rooted, havent messed about with it only installed

Snesoid
Nesoid
GBCoid
Gensoid
Advanced task killer
Astro File Manager
Beebplayer
Shazam

Im on Vodafone

Ok its a start ......

What country are you in, are all the other internet related apps working fine with 3G, Try not to be so vague, Remember if ya want help we need details.

i'm not haveing a go, just trying to help you to help yourself faster :p

andy1982

May 4, 2010
uk

was using google maps earlier and it restarted,weather updates with no problem had fotmob 4.0 and that worked fine with 3g.

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
uk

was using google maps earlier and it restarted,weather updates with no problem had fotmob 4.0 and that worked fine with 3g.

was this problem happening when you first got the phone?

go to settings -> wireless and networks -> mobile networks -> access point names
click on menu and press 'reset default'

if not then you must have installed/changed something in the system which is causing this. a factory reset would fix this if this is the case.

THIS IS KEEPING IN MIND IT WORKED WHEN YOU FIRST GOT IT

if it never worked then return it and get a new one.

langers1

Apr 10, 2009
I had the same problem with mine on Orange, at the time it was stock, after 2 weeks it would randomly reboot when i disconnected from my BT car kit or when i hung up the phone, i sent it back and got a new one. I put the generic ROM onto the new one and it was fine for a week then it rebooted after a phone call and then during a phone call when i rang them back. Im now running a rooted ROM and so far its all ok,

Only installed programs I have in common is beebplayer, I will say one bit of advice though unistall task killer u dont need it, there is a post somewhere explaining why but u dont need it and the phone doesn't like it.

Apr 22, 2010
mine too

i have the same problem with my desire...

and the strange thing is...AFTER 2 WEEK like all of you !!

every time i close a call my phone reboots itself...

i have not rooted the phone and i have no apps installed because 'ive just made a hard reset.

i'm waiting for briging the phone to the repairing center because i'm not so convinced that is a hardware issue.

now that you all have the same problem i begin to think that maybe after some use the phone corrupt some memory position that also an hard reset doesn't clean completely.

the strange thing is that in my case only the call close cause the problem, all the other function of the phone run smooth....

keep me informed of some news..

Last edited:

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
i have the same problem with my desire...

every time i close a call my phone reboots itself...

i have not rooted the phone and i have no apps installed because 'ive just made a hard reset.

i'm waiting for briging the phone to the repairing center because i'm not so convinced that is a hardware issue.

now that you all have the same problem i begin to think that maybe after some use the phone corrupt some memory position that also an hard reset doesn't clean completely.

the strange thing is that in my case only the call close cause the problem, all the other function of the phone run smooth....

keep me informed of some news..

have you tried some solutions posted here such as the apn reset to default?
a hard reset will not fix this, this apn data is backed up by the system and then restored after a hard reset thus copying and pasting the faulty apn

again it's just a theory but worth a try.

Apr 22, 2010
doesn't work

..unfortunatly the trick doesn't work...

first i've done a reset to default of the APN. reboot. same problem

then i've deleted all the apn entries...just to try...nothing changes...

but i'don't think the problem is apn related because it's not an internet problem, it's a calling problem...

the phone reboots itself only on call close...i can do a call, talk with the other person even for an hour, but when i close the call the phone reboots....

i wait for some news, then i'll bring the phone to repir center....sigh !!

thank you for your precious help....

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
sorry to hear that

open the phone dialer
enter: *#*#4636#*#*

tap on phone information
scroll down

change your preferred network type to: GSM auto (PRL)

try a phone call now

Apr 22, 2010
same...

just tried...

set the preferred network type to: GSM auto (PRL)

same thing...

when i touch the red button to end the call in progress, the call closes, i see for 1 second the screen and BUM the phone restarts...

maybe a defective chip ????

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
just tried...

set the preferred network type to: GSM auto (PRL)

same thing...

when i touch the red button to end the call in progress, the call closes, i see for 1 second the screen and BUM the phone restarts...

maybe a defective chip ????

sounds to me a fault with the phone
if it can't even be fixed with a hard reset then it's not your problem, especially if it hasn't even been rooted.

send it off for repair they'll fix it or give you a new one. easy as that.

Apr 22, 2010
thank you

...tomorrow i'll bring it to the assistance center...

only hope they ''l be fast repairing it.....

thank's for all

Nekromantik

Apr 1, 2010
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel Watch
this dont sound too good.
Someone else had this issue and Orange sent him a new handset and it did the same.
Could it be a faulty batch of handsets?

edit:
I just called orange CS to see if it resets. I called the no and waited for the menu options and then ended the call and it did NOT reset.
Maybe it happens sometimes. I will see when I get a call next to see if it happens again.

Last edited: