haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
Last edited:
Reactions: ruscan.calin

pgarza

May 27, 2007
OKC
just got bricked trying to update to SPL 1.33.2005. was using old radio with rainbow boot loader and hard spl.

Last edited:

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
How to flash new spl and avoid brick

EDIT: I am 99.9% sure this will work with a PVT board. I am not sure about DVT BUT if you are willing to risk bricking your G1 to find out, that would be great :) Reboot in fastboot and make sure it says "DREA100 PVT"

EDIT: please flash latest radio (http://code.google.com/p/sapphire-port-dream) before flashing SPL..

EDIT: It has been confirmed that you WILL brick your phone if you attempt to downgrade your radio after flashing the new SPL. So.. don't.

Everyone is scared because they want the new spl but do not want a brick. Well this should help you all out. (should). First you should know I do not recommend trying this if you do not have a PVT board. I also will not take any responsibility for any bricked devices, though I believe this should work well.

WHAT YOU MUST HAVE:
You must have 2 microSD cards

OR

You must have one microSD card and a microSD card adapter and microSD card reader

AND

Two files: The new SPL file
http://sapphire-port-dream.googlecode.com/files/spl-signed.zip
And the update file of the build you are currently using.

IF YOU HAVE TWO MICRO SD CARDS:
1. Download the SPL
2. Upload the new SPL on one microSD card and name it "update.zip" and upload the update file of the build that you are currently using on the other microSD card and name it "update.zip"
3. Put the microSD with the SPL update in your phone and reboot to recovery mode.
4. THIS IS IMPORTANT (perform a nandroid backup, of course) Apply the update, and once complete DON'T DO ANYTHING.. read step 5.
5. WITHOUT PRESSING ANY BUTTONS remove your microSD card from your phone and place the other microSD card in it.
6. Press Alt + x to go to the console. If your phone does not reboot automatically, type reboot recovery, then press enter.
7. If you boot up in recovery, you have done everything correctly. Now apply the update, reboot, and you're done.

IF YOU HAVE ONE SD CARD:
1. Upload new SPL on your microSD and rename to "update.zip"
2. Reboot your phone into recovery mode.
3. THIS IS IMPORTANT (perform a nandroid backup, of course) Apply the update, and once complete DON'T DO ANYTHING.. read step 4.
4. WITHOUT PRESSING ANY BUTTONS remove your microSD card from your phone, and plug it into your microSD card adapter/SD card reader
5. Remove/rename the SPL update (to something other than "update.zip") and upload the update file of the build you are currently using onto your microSD card. Put your microSD card back in your phone AGAIN WITHOUT PUSHING ANY BUTTONS
6. Press Alt + x to go to the console. If your phone does not reboot automatically, press enter, type "reboot recovery", then press enter again.
7. If you boot up in recovery, you have done everything correctly. Now apply the update, reboot, and you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kllian

Feb 8, 2009
Radio: 2.22.19.26I
was using dude's latest firmware if that matters
Android board: PVT (I have USA retail black phone from the presale)
current SPL before flashing to H's SPL: Hard SPL

here is the process i used for the new H SPL and H 6.0 firmwares i did tonight.

wiped
loaded new H SPL (1.33.2005)
wiped
loaded new H 6.0
booted new H 6.0
lots of loops
reloaded new H 6.0
more loops
hit home key while it was booting and it went into safe mode
configured the phone, powered off, turned on, booted and no more loops.

working now :)

Last edited:

barakinflorida

Feb 5, 2009
Central Florida
one out of three bricked

the one that bricked

version PVT

spl: hardspl

Radio: not changed from ota that came with rc33

*** no recovery upgrade from the one flashed during rooting...

os... JF1.50

wendee

Nov 8, 2008
just update to your rom haykuro mines worked fine n downloaded the new spl but not the radio and my phone works good

i did the same for my friend n he stuck on the g1 screen
i follow these steps for both phones
Code:
 WOW THIS IS AWESOME!!

my phone has more memory and seems faster!!!

WARNING THE NEW SPL IN SOME CASES CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION!!!

Ill give all of you guys directions

Download the SPL

rename to update.zip

then Home+End

Alt+S

let it do its thing

Wait till you reboot the second time from the recovery screen to reboot.

then it will reboot and hang!!

NOW

Take your battery out and SD card out

get an sd card reader and put your Jesusfreke 1.5 or whatever back on your sdcard

rename to update.zip

Put the battery back in and

Home+END

Alt+S

then it will all be dandy!

still stuck for 1 phone only i dont know how when i did the same steps for both phones but only 1 got stuck

any ideas?

gtest12

Jul 1, 2008
Yes! It seems that the radio from RC33 is very critical to brick G1. I bricked the phone when I downgraded the radio to RC33.

evilone1969

Jul 14, 2008
i had the new spl working good, mine didnt brick till i DOWNGRADED the radio from 26I to rc33 radioc today .... anyways... hope it helps

(stands by and prays for a fix ;p)

haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
seems pretty much confirmed. upgrade your radio, and you won't get bricked.
EDIT: i'm going to mesh the SPL and radio updates together.

mswiss

Dec 16, 2007
probably a good idea lol. I had pvt but i believe i had the old radio (i went from one of your older saphire roms to jesus freaks 1.5 and radio update on his updater and then back to your newest saphire port yesterday when i got bored of jsfs stuff and non working keyboard.

i wiped before trying to apply the new spl so that shouldnt be what it is

robbie725

Jul 14, 2008
Fairless Hills, Pa
Matt....

Everyone is scared because they want the new spl but do not want a brick. YOU ARE NOT KIDDING I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE

JUST A COUPLE QUESTIONS HERE TO BE CLEAR!
I only have one sd card and a card reader so i am only asking about this part....

IF YOU HAVE ONE SD CARD:
1. Upload new SPL on your microSD and rename to "update.zip" OK UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO THIS...
2. Reboot your phone into recovery mode. I ASSUME YOU MEAN HOLDING POWER AND HOME BUTTONS>>>RIGHT?
3. THIS IS IMPORTANT (perform a nandroid backup, of course) Apply the update, and once complete DON'T DO ANYTHING.. read step 4. APPLY THE UPDATE USING ALT-S... RIGHT? AND WE KNOW IT IS COMPLETE WHEN?
4. WITHOUT PRESSING ANY BUTTONS remove your microSD card from your phone, and plug it into your microSD card adapter/SD card reader
5. Remove/rename the SPL update (to something other than "update.zip") and upload the update file of the build you are currently using onto your microSD card. Put your microSD card back in your phone AGAIN WITHOUT PUSHING ANY BUTTONS I KNOW THIS IS STUPID, BUT WE RENAME THE BUILD TO UPDATE.ZIP AS WELL....RIGHT?
6. Press Alt + x to go to the console. If your phone does not reboot automatically, press enter, type "reboot recovery", then press enter again.
7. If you boot up in recovery, you have done everything correctly. Now apply the update, reboot, and you're done. APPLY THE UPDATE USING ALT-S... RIGHT

I understand what I am doing as I have flashed 100 of times not only mine but all of my friends as well...just that this one has me scared, so just trying not to leave anything out is all... it's too late for me to try this now as I am going to attempt this in the morning when I am well rested...

This is my phone info:
DREA100 PVT 32b
HSPL10.95.3000
CPLD-4
Radio-2.22.19.26I
Oct 20 2008

Thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts