[TUT] How to Enable Swiftkey on HDX

Search This thread

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
The Keyboard Settings on HDX is hard coded for the Kindle Fire OS keyboard, but alternative keyboards *can* be loaded or sideloaded into a very confusing menu. This is how you get Swiftkey to work.

The steps should work for other keyboards as well. I've gotten it to work with Fleksy and Google Keyboard. YMMV.

1) Download and install Swiftkey to your HDX through Google Play Store (if you have hacked it onto your device), Amazon App Store, Aptoide or 1Mobile, or even sideload it. However you do it, install it.

2) Once you got it installed, run the Swiftkey app, which is also the installer. Keep going as far as you can until it tries to trigger the settings and so on. It probably will bring up Keyboard Settings, and you'll be utterly lost here.

3) Bring down notification, and go into settings (far right button, usually)

4) Go down to Language & Keyboard and tap it

5) Tap on "Keyboard Language" (should be 3rd one down)

6) Keep scrolling down the languages (and you'll see TONS) until you finally find Swiftkey, make sure it has a checkmark (if not, add it now).

Optional: Also enable any other keyboard you may have loaded. Beware that some keyboards appear here actually as a language. For example, Google Keyboard appears as "English (US)" if you have that installed, though Fleksy appears as itself.

7) Once you have checked all the keyboards you want to enable, scroll back to top

8) Tap "Default language", which is first choice, and you should get a pop-up of all the different keyboards/languages you enabled, and among them should be Swiftkey (or Flesky or whatever keyboard you put a check mark on in step 6) Pick your favorite keyboard now.

9) Hit BACK to go back to "Language & Keyboard" screen

10) Tap "Keyboard Settings" (4th choice?) If you had previously selected Swiftkey, this should bring up Swiftkey Settings, or perhaps the installer if you have not completed the steps like Sign into Google Plus to enable CloudSync. Complete any remaining steps in the installer.

Your new soft keyboard is now active! Enjoy!

glimmer00

Mar 28, 2012
I've actually done this several times using the swiftkey apk from my phone extracted from a titanium backup. Every time I have tried it though the nav bar on the bottom (portrait mode) or right(landscape) has covered part of the keyboard making it unusable. I may have missed it in one of the other threads but what needs to be done to fix this? Having a working swiftkey would be great as the stock keyboard is really slow on long press combos like numbers and sometimes doesn't even recognize the first one.

rgonzruiz

Oct 5, 2008
Indeed it's a bit annoying... The best I've been able to achieve is to set the keyboard size to the largest one and also select the extended keyboard option so that most keys are on top of the space bar... But still we need a fix on this one and I think the problem is on swiftkey 's side not recognizing the fireos bar...

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
Swiftkey has an undock setting. I activated that and just moved the whole keyboard up the screen further. Works fine for me.

Rich

Where is this option located? I can't seem to find it.

*edit* Nvm, found it, haven't used Swiftkey in ages so forgot where the swiftkey icon was. For those unfamiliar with swiftkey, it's the second one from the bottom left. You can use this video as reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVeoy51IkME

Last edited:

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I've actually done this several times using the swiftkey apk from my phone extracted from a titanium backup. Every time I have tried it though the nav bar on the bottom (portrait mode) or right(landscape) has covered part of the keyboard making it unusable. I may have missed it in one of the other threads but what needs to be done to fix this? Having a working swiftkey would be great as the stock keyboard is really slow on long press combos like numbers and sometimes doesn't even recognize the first one.

Undock is your only option. It's easy in landscape, but almost impossible in portrait mode. You'll have to guess where's the swiftkey button and from there, undock.

I was about to suggest "arrow keys" but I realized Swiftkey hides the arrow key option on the tablets (WHY!?!?!?!)

rgonzruiz

Oct 5, 2008
Undock is your only option. It's easy in landscape, but almost impossible in portrait mode. You'll have to guess where's the swiftkey button and from there, undock.

I was about to suggest "arrow keys" but I realized Swiftkey hides the arrow key option on the tablets (WHY!?!?!?!)
Indeed I also thought of activating the arrow keys just to see it's not an option on tablets...

I don't like the undocking option as sometimes the undocked keyboard appears on top of the text field you're trying to type in, effectively blocking your view of the typed text...

Aug 15, 2015
Thanks for this post! I had really missed the language recognition ability of SwiftKey.

I haven't had any of the above problems due to the nav-bar covering the keyboard. Unless I update this post, you can assume I'm one happy guy :)

I installed Swiftkey from the 1Mobile appstore on a non-rooted device (Thor 7 inch, Kindle OS 4.5.5). There were 6 versions of Swiftkey available to install. The only version that worked for me was "Swiftkey Tablet Free," Version 4.2.1.202.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Keyboard Settings on HDX is hard coded for the Kindle Fire OS keyboard, but alternative keyboards *can* be loaded or sideloaded into a very confusing menu. This is how you get Swiftkey to work.

The steps should work for other keyboards as well. I've gotten it to work with Fleksy and Google Keyboard. YMMV.

1) Download and install Swiftkey to your HDX through Google Play Store (if you have hacked it onto your device), Amazon App Store, Aptoide or 1Mobile, or even sideload it. However you do it, install it.

2) Once you got it installed, run the Swiftkey app, which is also the installer. Keep going as far as you can until it tries to trigger the settings and so on. It probably will bring up Keyboard Settings, and you'll be utterly lost here.

3) Bring down notification, and go into settings (far right button, usually)

4) Go down to Language & Keyboard and tap it

5) Tap on "Keyboard Language" (should be 3rd one down)

6) Keep scrolling down the languages (and you'll see TONS) until you finally find Swiftkey, make sure it has a checkmark (if not, add it now).

Optional: Also enable any other keyboard you may have loaded. Beware that some keyboards appear here actually as a language. For example, Google Keyboard appears as "English (US)" if you have that installed, though Fleksy appears as itself.

7) Once you have checked all the keyboards you want to enable, scroll back to top

8) Tap "Default language", which is first choice, and you should get a pop-up of all the different keyboards/languages you enabled, and among them should be Swiftkey (or Flesky or whatever keyboard you put a check mark on in step 6) Pick your favorite keyboard now.

9) Hit BACK to go back to "Language & Keyboard" screen

10) Tap "Keyboard Settings" (4th choice?) If you had previously selected Swiftkey, this should bring up Swiftkey Settings, or perhaps the installer if you have not completed the steps like Sign into Google Plus to enable CloudSync. Complete any remaining steps in the installer.

Your new soft keyboard is now active! Enjoy!
    Swiftkey has an undock setting. I activated that and just moved the whole keyboard up the screen further. Works fine for me.

Rich