** OFFICIAL WHICH IS THE BEST or FAVORITE ROM /KERNEL THREAD **

Search This thread

spark001uk

Jan 14, 2010
Surrey, Untidy Kingdom
Very old thread I know, but just dug out my 2012 N7 and it's updated itself to 5.1.1, and even after a cache wipe and 2 factory resets it now runs like an absolute dog! What is the best alternative these days I can flash to it, and if possible could you point me in the right direction for it please? Not sure which android ver, whichever runs best without lagging I guess.
Thanks

ADD: Just reading thru a few threads, and it seems people are having issues with N based ROMs, so perhaps I should go for an M one for now? Anyone concur?

Last edited:

ncfoster

Jun 8, 2013
Nexus 7
HTC Rezound
I just charged up my old Nexus 7 again at my 7 y.o. son's request. This was significant, because it has had charging for some time. I attributed at least some of this to the ROM/kernel I was using, but it could be hardware as well.

I am currently running:
ROM: Slim-4.4.4.build.9.0-OFFICIAL-8258
Kernel: 3.1.1-bricked-grouper-master-g054087f
File systems: All F2FS
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
Device is rooted

I don't mind sinking a few hours into updating this thing to work better, but the easier the better. My main concerns are charging, battery life and performance over features. It would be a huge plus if I can migrate without wiping the whole thing, but I am willing to wipe if it is worth it to go to something newer.

The main uses for the tablet will be Minecraft and the various Pokemon games (TCGO, Duel and occasionally Go). What ROMs would you suggest? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

jamsh

Jul 13, 2010
London
New ROM

I just charged up my old Nexus 7 again at my 7 y.o. son's request. This was significant, because it has had charging for some time. I attributed at least some of this to the ROM/kernel I was using, but it could be hardware as well.

I am currently running:
ROM: Slim-4.4.4.build.9.0-OFFICIAL-8258
Kernel: 3.1.1-bricked-grouper-master-g054087f
File systems: All F2FS
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
Device is rooted

I don't mind sinking a few hours into updating this thing to work better, but the easier the better. My main concerns are charging, battery life and performance over features. It would be a huge plus if I can migrate without wiping the whole thing, but I am willing to wipe if it is worth it to go to something newer.

The main uses for the tablet will be Minecraft and the various Pokemon games (TCGO, Duel and occasionally Go). What ROMs would you suggest? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

What about this?https://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/development/rom-android-7-aosp-grouper-t3467514

Eniac77

Dec 9, 2011
Toronto
Can anyone kindly post the last stable Cyanogenmod 11 or 12? Cyanogenmod download site no longer works... and I can't seem to find it.

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
Can anyone kindly post the last stable Cyanogenmod 11 or 12? Cyanogenmod download site no longer works... and I can't seem to find it.

So Cyanogenmod is dead and buried (sorta) due to various corporate issues. But, the Cyanogenmod codebase has been reorganized by many of the same developers with a new name. Here are the nightly builds for Lineage OS. (I haven't tested them, just sharing the links)

mkhtfld76

Mar 1, 2012
Man I miss my Nexus 7 running Dirty Rootbox! There were tons of great roms and kernels for this device. Havent had a device since that has seen that kind of love. Flashaholics dream!!!

ncfoster

Jun 8, 2013
Nexus 7
HTC Rezound

Thank you for your response. Sorry for my delay in responding.

First, I believe that I have rectified the charging issue in hardware by swapping out the charging port (hard to believe that I had completely forgotten that my wife had shattered a screen on her first Nexus 7 several years ago, so I had a readily available donor the whole time).

Second, while I may consider the ROM that you suggested, I am concerned about the following warning at the start of the second post:

even if f2fs is supported by the ROM, I did not test it and the TWRP version linked above does not support it, so you are on your own

Since I am coming from an all-f2fs environment, I don't want to completely bork the whole device trying to undo f2fs. I have found it so much faster that I am surprised it isn't in all ROMs at this point. If there are instructions to easily get from my current configuration to this ROM, I'd be thrilled to see them. I have already completely borked my old Rezound, which I was using as a single-purpose device. so I don't want to add to my body count for the month.

Char_G

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2013
Missouri
I'd honestly avoid 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 ROMs for grouper, I finally gave up on them last summer and flashed an old Tesla kk build, and flashed parrotmod with it. What a joy to run the same build for almost a year with no lag, no need to run fstrim, no need for f2fs. I decided to flash an old Validus 4.4.4 build last week, same joy. I'll probably stay on this build another year. Find a nice KitKat ROM and enjoy :)

andrew2432

So Cyanogenmod is dead and buried (sorta) due to various corporate issues. But, the Cyanogenmod codebase has been reorganized by many of the same developers with a new name. Here are the nightly builds for Lineage OS. (I haven't tested them, just sharing the links)

Are there backlogged older versions of CM? I like a lot of the CM features...I know they are arguable :) but I'm used to it. I just got a FREE near perfect condition WiFi 16gb nexus 7 so I will eventually want to know somewhere out there is a CM or 6.0isb ROM I can play with. But thanks for warning about lag, maybe I'll need to evaluate what to use this for exactly. Its not useless whatsoever it appears!

Will be scrolling through ROMs and hopefully revitalizing a weakening thread, feel free to let me know! I would eventually like some xposed mods so it seems stock isn't available?? On to work!!

Char_G

Apr 9, 2013
Missouri
Are there backlogged older versions of CM? I like a lot of the CM features...I know they are arguable :) but I'm used to it. I just got a FREE near perfect condition WiFi 16gb nexus 7 so I will eventually want to know somewhere out there is a CM or 6.0isb ROM I can play with. But thanks for warning about lag, maybe I'll need to evaluate what to use this for exactly. Its not useless whatsoever it appears!

Will be scrolling through ROMs and hopefully revitalizing a weakening thread, feel free to let me know! I would eventually like some xposed mods so it seems stock isn't available?? On to work!!

I'm running an old Validus test build on my grouper, I got tired of fighting lag on 5+ and up. Using Parrotmod and Open gapps Pico, it runs great. You're welcome to try it if you like :)

Validus v5.3 Experimental - 4.4.3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5MO5hLwP_C9eVV3a0JpY0hxY1k/view?usp=drivesdk

Reactions: andrew2432

andrew2432

I'm running an old Validus test build on my grouper, I got tired of fighting lag on 5+ and up. Using Parrotmod and Open gapps Pico, it runs great. You're welcome to try it if you like :)

Validus v5.3 Experimental - 4.4.3 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5MO5hLwP_C9eVV3a0JpY0hxY1k/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks! I'll probably check it out, I've been messing with the lag as well! Maybe a kk will be best choice if I'm trying to get a faster/smoother performance

Char_G

Apr 9, 2013
Missouri
Thanks! I'll probably check it out, I've been messing with the lag as well! Maybe a kk will be best choice if I'm trying to get a faster/smoother performance

I spent a long time, trying to make peace with LP, MM & N, but KK is groupers sweet spot, Imo. I haven't regretted coming back to it a bit, I run fstrim every now and then in the terminal emulator to keep it smooth.

Reactions: andrew2432

yanokashi

Mar 14, 2015
Have to ask now, cuz there are many new Nougat ROMs so maybe something changed. Actually I sold my phone so I have to use Nexus 7 for a few weeks since my Redmi Note 4X is being transported to me. So - whats the best ROM for now as a daily one without crashes, good battery life and kinda good performance (1GB of RAM and Tegra3 arent good for todays, I know :/ )

Bammo68

Apr 9, 2016
I have a 2012 Wifi only model running 5.1.1 stock. I want to use the device to stream video from a thermal camera using the Stream_Vision app. from the vendor. Stream Vision only seems to work on Android 6.

So question is, which mod is my best starting point for a basic, reliable Android 6 tablet? The only functionality that I really need to work is the WiFi and GPS. Not looking to customise or tweak in any way, just would like some advice on the most painless path to a basic 6.0 or 6.1 platform.

Jan 7, 2020
Germany
I have a 2012 Wifi only model running 5.1.1 stock. I want to use the device to stream video from a thermal camera using the Stream_Vision app. from the vendor. Stream Vision only seems to work on Android 6.

So question is, which mod is my best starting point for a basic, reliable Android 6 tablet? The only functionality that I really need to work is the WiFi and GPS. Not looking to customise or tweak in any way, just would like some advice on the most painless path to a basic 6.0 or 6.1 platform.

Which one did you use finally and did it work smoothly?

Velmont

Aug 14, 2009
Yeah I have the same question basically. I did ask in the ASOP 7 thread, which I guess might be deleted since it is the wrong thread for such questions ?

But that looked to be the most updated and interesting one to me. Very vanilla.

May 25, 2021
Nexus 7
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Is there any way to install a good Linux distro on the Google Nexus 7 2012 Wi-Fi tablet? I wanted Ubuntu Touch, but it doesn't seem to be supported.

What I want to do with the device:
  • just get it running faster (compared to the Android 5 on there) and stable
  • play around with Linux (just explore); no heavy-duty servers and stuff
  • maybe SSH into it from my laptop and do light coding with VS Code server, but no heavy use

Prior experience:
I have been playing around with WSL (Ubuntu) and a Raspberry Pi, but don't have any Linux experience beyond that (excluding Android). No experience installing an OS, apart from Windows on a laptop, and Raspbian and Ubuntu on the Pi. I am however comfortable with a command line, and don't have much to risk on said tablet. (I am exploring this, but want to see if anyone has a better idea).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the official "which is the best or favorite ROM/KERNEL for the Nexus 7 Thread"

In lieu of all the threads recently being created, asking the same question "which is the best, fastest, least trouble free" ROM for the device, this thread has been created. This thread also covers Kernels.

Notice, all other threads asking the same question, will be deleted and re-directed here. This is in an effort to keep the number of new threads lower, and to enable better searches for people looking for an answer.

Thread Rules

1. No Flaming and no arguing. Everybody has a favorite.
    2. No links to external Sites. The ROMs must be linked at XDA
    3. No linking to Non-GPL
    4. No Profanity (or acronyms used to cleverly disguise such words)

Keep it clean people.

MD

Honestly, on my N73G, I am liking stock. I will probably do Parandroid eventually, but the amount of trouble, vs. benefit is too high. (Am not able to make my N7 connect via adb to unlock, etc...but that's not what this thread is for ;))
    I have to agree - stock and unrooted my N7 rocks. Granted, I've only had it a week tomorrow and I'm coming from Hashcode's Kindle Fire rom'ed device - which with most mods is trying to emulate the Nexus 7 - and does a pretty good job too. But my new device got the latest 4.2.2 jelly bean pushed to it a couple of days ago - no fuss/muss - and smooth and awesome it is still.

I'd decided when I activated my new N7 that I'd hold off root and modding it for a week or two to break it in, make sure that I had no warranty claims to make. With one week down all that I've missed about not having root so far is Titanium Backup.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place. Where is the, "Benefits of rooting your Nexus 7?" thread? ;)
    Re: ** OFFICIAL WHICH IS THE BEST ROM THREAD **

The last time I tried PA, my N7 just freezes in the lock screen, quite often. Only thing I can do is reboot. At other time, when lock screen is working, there are lots of lags pretty much everywhere. I still don't understand why people still praised it until now even though in my testing it feels as if I'm holding a bomb ready to explode at any time.

Even people in the nexus community can't escape the "hype" and placebo effect of roms or tweaks or even kernels.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    The amount of roms out here is simply confusing.. And please don't accuse me of not doing my homework, I've spent hours reading through rom features and trying them out. None of them have the perfect feeling to me. Also, there is no performance comparision as there is with kernels.

What I'm looking for is as clean rom as possible, more impprtantly though, one that is fast(est) for gaming. Yes, I will use a kernel and oc my device, but roms i've tested still have different performance levels with same kernel settings. Rom should also have tablet ui and some fundametal configuration options such as power menu, quick settings customization etc.. Also, it should be stable enough for everyday use. Battery life is not as important, as it can be saved with app usage and undervolting.

I'm sure others have the same things in mindk, so I'll ask for everyone.

Thank you very much in advance.