[INFO][GUIDE]Rooting on linux (and mac)

Search This thread

matts95

Jan 14, 2012
Eastbourne
There appear to be two main options for rooting Samsung devices on linux and mac.

Option 1: (un-tested) root.zip (recovery)
This method roots your stock 2.3 rom from in recovery (stock or CWM)
1. Copy Root.zip to your sdcard.
2. Turn your phone off
3. Boot your phone into recovery mode. (Hold HOME+POWER buttons. When the screen turns on let go of POWER but keep holding HOME. After you enter recovery mode, let go of HOME.)
4. Select “apply update from sdcard”
5. Find and select Root.zip
6. When it’s done installing, select “reboot system now”
7. Go to apps and look for 'superuser'. If you see it, your phone is rooted. :)

Option 2: (un-tested) flash CWM from stock recovery:
This gives you the freedom of a custom recovery, flashed on the device from stock recovery
1. Download recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip
2. Put recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip on your sdcard
3. Boot into current stock (default) recovery (zip also compatible with CWM recovery)(Hold HOME+POWER buttons. When the screen turns on let go of POWER but keep holding HOME. After you enter recovery mode, let go of HOME.)
4. Go to "apply update from sdcard"
5. Select "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip"
6. When it finishes, power off and boot back into recovery mode to check it has installed (it should say "ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.6" somewhere)

Option 3 (un-confirmed): use Heimdall.
An open source, cross-platform, alternative to Odin.

Heimdall is officially supported on the Galaxy S (and S variants including Galaxy Tab)
It allows you to do pretty much anything Odin can do (interact with download mode), and so you can flash a root kernel to gain root and CWM recovery.

Although supposedly untested on the Galaxy Ace, heimdall should be able to flash the usual root precedure (rooting kernel with CWM).
It would be great if someone could verify heimdall works for the Galaxy Ace

Option 4: (un-tested) root your ROM using the zergRush exploit (from the Revolutionary team).
zergRush rooting scripts: Linux, Mac, Windows

For the zergRush exploit scripts, you only root your firmware, so CWM will need to be installed manually afterwards if you want it.

Now that you have root, you should be able to (optionally) flash CWM from an app or over adb using flash_image) (DO YOU NEED ROOT IF THIS IS DONE IN RECOVERY(STOCK)?)

Apps that can flash CWM include:
* CWM Manager
* Flash image GUI
_DO NOT USE_ ROM Manager (reported unstable)

To flash using ADB and flash_image, download flash_image and an CWM recovery img then run:
Code:
cd directory-containing-files/
adb remount
adb push flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image
adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/Recovery.img
rm /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

Or from the phone's terminal (if BusyBox is installed):
first put recovery.img & flash_image onto /sdcard/
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mv /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image
rm /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

DISCLAIMER: I do not personally own a Samsung phone, and have not yet tested these methods (although I am interested to hear how well they work,and will do my best to update the post). I am however planning to root a friends Galaxy Ace and possibly also an Galaxy S2, so will be testing some of these soon (I'm not sure I should try the untested heimdall on a friends Ace though)

Last edited:
Reactions: iandol

matts95

Jan 14, 2012
Eastbourne
Why take a longer way when the shorter way is faster, efficient and trustworthy...
Sorry, which way is this shorter more trustworthy way?

The point of this is listing the methods I believe to be compatible with linux (and by extension mac)

I am new to Samsung phones and do not possess one myself, but understand that using Odin is restricted to Windows.

I will be flashing CWM Recovery to a Galxacy Ace soon and will try methods that have been tested (friend's phone)

If you know of other methods or if one of the listed methods does not work, I will update the post
Also if anyone can confirm heimdall to work with the Ace this would be the first time on xda (searching I've found only people saying it may work) the Ace is not on its supported list, however as it uses the same protocol (right?) it should work?

If however the mods believe this post to be useless or irrelevant, they are welcome to move it to the appropriate location :)

Last edited:
Point 1- Hopefully useful for Linux and Mac users.
Point 2- If on Windows its much easier and takes very less time..

Also u told about ROM Manager (reported unstable),... Dude leave unstable it bricks our phone... mAking it unusable...

Best way to root is to put the upd.zip in rooting section and flashing in recovery... Can thr be any other way better than that?

Reactions: matts95

iandol

Jan 23, 2012
London
This seems almost utterly pointless, prove me wrong?

I use OS X exclusively and this was a very useful post, and at least well written and clear. Most guides blindly assume we all use Windows, not everyone does!!!

For context, owning OS X I originally used the upd1.zip method, flashed via original recovery and it worked, which I suppose is the fastest method you don't cover.

I certainly didn't know about heimdall, great to see an open-source cross platform alternative to odin! Don't need to use it just yet, though testing will be invaluable for future use...

So thanks to the OP for writing clearly about alternative options.

dragonnn

Oct 16, 2011
But instaling CWM isn't rooting, you can have CWM without root.

Wysłane z mojego GT-S5830 za pomocą Tapatalk

Reactions: matts95

matts95

Jan 14, 2012
Eastbourne
Thanks, I wasn't sure of this as on my Desire I had to unlock the bootloader (s-off it) due to security features (and this was closely related to the rooting process). I use the term rooting as it seems the most generic, if anyone suggests a better word I will gladly consider changing the title :)

Also u told about ROM Manager (reported unstable),... Dude leave unstable it bricks our phone... mAking it unusable...
I've updated the post advising against using ROM Manager, thanks :)

Best way to root is to put the upd.zip in rooting section and flashing in recovery... Can thr be any other way better than that?
Thank you for this, I will get some details and update the post shortly to include this :)
Edit: I added the root.zip method

btw, I may rework the post to reflect whether current ROM will be rooted, recovery installed, or both and then list methods for each outcome.

rees397

Oct 29, 2010
Neath
Thanks, I wasn't sure of this as on my Desire I had to unlock the bootloader (s-off it) due to security features (and this was closely related to the rooting process). I use the term rooting as it seems the most generic, if anyone suggests a better word I will gladly consider changing the title :)

I've updated the post advising against using ROM Manager, thanks :)

Thank you for this, I will get some details and update the post shortly to include this :)
Edit: I added the root.zip method

btw, I may rework the post to reflect whether current ROM will be rooted, recovery installed, or both and then list methods for each outcome.

Anyone tested Heimdall yet?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There appear to be two main options for rooting Samsung devices on linux and mac.

Option 1: (un-tested) root.zip (recovery)
    This method roots your stock 2.3 rom from in recovery (stock or CWM)
    1. Copy Root.zip to your sdcard.
    2. Turn your phone off
    3. Boot your phone into recovery mode. (Hold HOME+POWER buttons. When the screen turns on let go of POWER but keep holding HOME. After you enter recovery mode, let go of HOME.)
    4. Select “apply update from sdcard”
    5. Find and select Root.zip
    6. When it’s done installing, select “reboot system now”
    7. Go to apps and look for 'superuser'. If you see it, your phone is rooted. :)

Option 2: (un-tested) flash CWM from stock recovery:
    This gives you the freedom of a custom recovery, flashed on the device from stock recovery
    1. Download recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip
    2. Put recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip on your sdcard
    3. Boot into current stock (default) recovery (zip also compatible with CWM recovery)(Hold HOME+POWER buttons. When the screen turns on let go of POWER but keep holding HOME. After you enter recovery mode, let go of HOME.)
    4. Go to "apply update from sdcard"
    5. Select "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.6-galaxyace-fix.zip"
    6. When it finishes, power off and boot back into recovery mode to check it has installed (it should say "ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.6" somewhere)

Option 3 (un-confirmed): use Heimdall.
    An open source, cross-platform, alternative to Odin.

Heimdall is officially supported on the Galaxy S (and S variants including Galaxy Tab)
    It allows you to do pretty much anything Odin can do (interact with download mode), and so you can flash a root kernel to gain root and CWM recovery.

Although supposedly untested on the Galaxy Ace, heimdall should be able to flash the usual root precedure (rooting kernel with CWM).
    It would be great if someone could verify heimdall works for the Galaxy Ace

Option 4: (un-tested) root your ROM using the zergRush exploit (from the Revolutionary team).
    zergRush rooting scripts: Linux, Mac, Windows

For the zergRush exploit scripts, you only root your firmware, so CWM will need to be installed manually afterwards if you want it.

Now that you have root, you should be able to (optionally) flash CWM from an app or over adb using flash_image) (DO YOU NEED ROOT IF THIS IS DONE IN RECOVERY(STOCK)?)

Apps that can flash CWM include:
    * CWM Manager
    * Flash image GUI
    _DO NOT USE_ ROM Manager (reported unstable)

To flash using ADB and flash_image, download flash_image and an CWM recovery img then run:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
    adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image
    adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    rm /sdcard/recovery.img
    reboot recovery

Or from the phone's terminal (if BusyBox is installed):
    first put recovery.img & flash_image onto /sdcard/
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    mv /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image
    rm /sdcard/recovery.img
    reboot recovery

DISCLAIMER: I do not personally own a Samsung phone, and have not yet tested these methods (although I am interested to hear how well they work,and will do my best to update the post). I am however planning to root a friends Galaxy Ace and possibly also an Galaxy S2, so will be testing some of these soon (I'm not sure I should try the untested heimdall on a friends Ace though)
    Point 1- Hopefully useful for Linux and Mac users.
    Point 2- If on Windows its much easier and takes very less time..

Wysłane z mojego GT-S5830 za pomocą Tapatalk