Cast on wpa2 enterprise network

Search This thread

cowsick

Oct 11, 2009
I'm working at a school environment. We are using WPA 2 enterprise to authenticate ourselfs on the network. The chromecast as today don't have support for that. We are using a lot of Chromebooks. Any other solution for casting the Chromebook screen on such a environment?

iOS 8 will have such a function.

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I'm working at a school environment. We are using WPA 2 enterprise to authenticate ourselfs on the network. The chromecast as today don't have support for that. We are using a lot of Chromebooks. Any other solution for casting the Chromebook screen on such a environment?

iOS 8 will have such a function.
Can you describe what you're trying to achieve? You have a number of Chromebooks and you want to show the Chromebook screen on another display?

cowsick

Oct 11, 2009
Can you describe what you're trying to achieve? You have a number of Chromebooks and you want to show the Chromebook screen on another display?

We have thousands of Chromebooks. We want the students to be able to present there screen / chrome on the projector.

Our network environment is WPA 2 enterprise. We are radius authenticating the users that are using our network.

WPA 2 enterprise is not today supported by chromecast.

Any ideas? Except changing network environment. As I said earlier so the iOS 8 have addressed the issue and is solving in on there apple to with iOS 8

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
We have thousands of Chromebooks. We want the students to be able to present there screen / chrome on the projector.

Our network environment is WPA 2 enterprise. We are radius authenticating the users that are using our network.

WPA 2 enterprise is not today supported by chromecast.

Any ideas? Except changing network environment. As I said earlier so the iOS 8 have addressed the issue and is solving in on there apple to with iOS 8

Well I definitely wouldn't change the network environment for Chromecast...

If you can get a separate WiFi for Chromecast, then Vbukit may be an option as the sender and receiver don't need to be on the same nework. You will still need one device on the same network as Chromecast so you can launch the Vbukit for Chromecast app, which will show the QR code on the screen.

But to be honest, unless you've already made a large investment in Chromecasts, I feel like it's not the best solution for this application.
Even if you did get Chromecast on the network, because it's designed for home use and there is no use authentication, any student on the same WiFi network will be able to take control of Chromecast, leaving a huge potential for accidental or malicious interruption.

Vbukit is more controlled, but I would lean toward hooking up another Chromebook directly to the projector and have the students share screen to it via a Lync, Skype or TeamViewer "call-in." The lecturer would have to accept the "call" in this case, but it does provide accountability and avoids interruption.

cowsick

Oct 11, 2009
I will take a look at the vbukit solution.

About students interruption during å cast. That we need to handle somehow. But that's another storie and up the the teachers to handle.

About doing a call in and split screen it's to complicated for the most teachers and students. To many steeps.

As the apple TV is now looking at enterprise needs perhaps the chromecast will to at the next IO if that vbukit solution isn't useful för us.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Yeah, maybe a next-generation Chromecast, but I really don't see it happening with the current Chromecast. Like screen sharing is too difficult for your students and teachers, WPA2 Enterprise is too difficult for home users. ;)

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Not sure but if you can get one of those chromebooks to share an Internet connection and act as a CCast AP you might be able to work out your issues....
I am however unfamiliar with Chromebooks and what they are capable of....