***horrible bad burn in note 9***

Search This thread

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Don't know how many note 9 with burn there are but here is mine! Looks terrible! Noticed it for the first time last night when it got pretty dark outside and it is super annoying! I assume Samsung will replace with new one? But I have a whitestone and skinomi on it, I am sure they wont cover those :(

With some light in room

Pretty much completely dark room

Anybody else experience this or have any ideas?

raver445

Jan 4, 2015
It looks like to me it's screen burn-in. I don't think you can do anything about it.
Don't know how many note 9 with burn there are but here is mine! Looks terrible! Noticed it for the first time last night when it got pretty dark outside and it is super annoying! I assume Samsung will replace with new one? But I have a whitestone and skinomi on it, I am sure they wont cover those :(

With some light in room

Pretty much completely dark room

Anybody else experience this or have any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
If you're still within the one year warranty, complain to samaung through "Samsung +" app and don't mention anything about burn in. Just say my screen doesnt look right. If you're out of the warranty then you're SOL.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hkjxda

Jan 21, 2013
I had the same issue a month ago. Samsung won't replace it but they will change the screen. They did that for me, but the issue is coming back again. People need to reach out to Samsung and bring this issue to light. Too many units are doing this now but not enough people are speaking up.

Check out the Note 9 screen burn in thread and you'll see other users, including myself, who have pics posted of the same issue.

Sorry about your phone... Reach out to Samsung asap and make sure to send them picture evidence of your issue when you send in your phone. The more people to complain, the more likely Samsung will probably decide to replace these defective units.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-9/how-to/screen-burn-check-thread-t3851263

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
If you're still within the one year warranty, complain to samaung through "Samsung +" app and don't mention anything about burn in. Just say my screen doesnt look right. If you're out of the warranty then you're SOL.

I have had since 9/25 so just over 2 months, wonder if I can just return for a full money refund?

I had the same issue a month ago. Samsung won't replace it but they will change the screen. They did that for me, but the issue is coming back again. People need to reach out to Samsung and bring this issue to light. Too many units are doing this now but not enough people are speaking up.

Check out the Note 9 screen burn in thread and you'll see other users, including myself, who have pics posted of the same issue.

Sorry about your phone... Reach out to Samsung asap and make sure to send them picture evidence of your issue when you send in your phone. The more people to complain, the more likely Samsung will probably decide to replace these defective units.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-9/how-to/screen-burn-check-thread-t3851263

That's BS it is a $1200 phone I don't want a new screen i want a new phone! I will just return if that is the case and buy a different phone

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
I have had since 9/25 so just over 2 months, wonder if I can just return for a full money refund?

That's BS it is a $1200 phone I don't want a new screen i want a new phone! I will just return if that is the case and buy a different phone
That close? That shouldn't happen. I'd definitely get a factory replacement from Samsung. I doubt that your carrier would return it because it's been a while.

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
I bought from Samsung, it is an unlocked 512 gb model and i received on 9/25 i checked tracking this morning to make sure my dates were correct
Yeah, that's not even two months. Burn ins will never happen in two months unless you make them happen on purpose. Just contact Samsung. They will replace it. They have an app called samaung +. Use it. They're very helpful.

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Yeah, that's not even two months. Burn ins will never happen in two months unless you make them happen on purpose. Just contact Samsung. They will replace it. They have an app called samaung +. Use it. They're very helpful.

yeah i mean i use it daily and average about 2-3 hours of screen on time and nothing intensive or static images that would cause burn in. Do i just return for refund and buy a new phone or try a new note 9 again? I mean is this going to happen in a month or two again??

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
yeah i mean i use it daily and average about 2-3 hours of screen on time and nothing intensive or static images that would cause burn in. Do i just return for refund and buy a new phone or try a new note 9 again? I mean is this going to happen in a month or two again??
Talk to a rep on the app. They're very good. I'd get a new one for a replacement from them. Make sure it's not a refurb. O doubt they'd give you a refund. Burn ins dont happen that soon. You literally need at least two years of the same screen layout and same things done everyday. I've been using oleds since Samsung released them on their first note and I've never had any burn in. And yours actually doesnt even look like a burn in to be honest. It looks a screen uniformity issue.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Your phone has a screen problem, not a burn in. Burn ins are shadows of things you have on your home screen, like your status bar and icons. This is nothing like that. This is an issue with your screen and they'll give you a replacement. Just make sure to present your proof of purchase such as your receipt and all that jazz and you'll be fine.

Reactions: high_voltage

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Talk to a rep on the app. They're very good. I'd get a new one for a replacement from them. Make sure it's not a refurb. O doubt they'd give you a refund. Burn ins dont happen that soon. You literally need at least two years of the same screen layout and same things done everyday. I've been using oleds since Samsung released them on their first note and I've never had any burn in. And yours actually doesnt even look like a burn in to be honest. It looks a screen uniformity issue.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Your phone has a screen problem, not a burn in. Burn ins are shadows of things you have on your home screen, like your status bar and icons. This is nothing like that. This is an issue with your screen and they'll give you a replacement. Just make sure to present your proof of purchase such as your receipt and all that jazz and you'll be fine.

I agree that it is a screen uniformity issue or something odd. I have every note since the note 2 and never seen this and all of those were used a year and never had a problem. My nav bar isn't "burnt in" which is weird because it is always up and dark

and i have been talking to a rep on samsung+ and sending photos and troubleshooting for him, seems very nice and helpful so far

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
I agree that it is a screen uniformity issue or something odd. I have every note since the note 2 and never seen this and all of those were used a year and never had a problem. My nav bar isn't "burnt in" which is weird because it is always up and dark

and i have been talking to a rep on samsung+ and sending photos and troubleshooting for him, seems very nice and helpful so far
Good. They'll take care of you I'm sure. The only thing you might worry about is having another phone because they might have you send this one in. Hope all goes well for ya.

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
so far not so much they want to send me to a local repair shop and have them install a new screen in it. not liking these options
I'd argue with them and ask to speak to a manager or a supervisor. This phone is only two months old. I mean, if anything just take the screen replacement honestly. They will only send you to a Samsung authorized repair shop

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'd argue with them and ask to speak to a manager or a supervisor. This phone is only two months old. I mean, if anything just take the screen replacement honestly. They will only send you to a Samsung authorized repair shop

I am getting case number and then going to call a higher up and see what to do. There is so many things wrong so far I am about ready to buy a pixel 3 and say screw the note

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
Well, at least get your money or another phone back first.

pcriz

so far not so much they want to send me to a local repair shop and have them install a new screen in it. not liking these options

It's basically going to be a new phone. They will keep the mother board and camera from the old phone and put it in a new body.

So new body and new battery.

At least that is how they handled every report of burn in on the Note 8.

If they send you to a UBreakIFix it is about a two hour turn around..

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
It's basically going to be a new phone. They will keep the mother board and camera from the old phone and put it in a new body.

So new body and new battery.

At least that is how they handled every report of burn in on the Note 8.

If they send you to a UBreakIFix it is about a two hour turn around..

and then waterproofing may be compromised as well. Then i can't sell for anything good because it has had the screen replaced. Yes it was a UBREAKIFIXIT location.

pcriz

and then waterproofing may be compromised as well. Then i can't sell for anything good because it has had the screen replaced. Yes it was a UBREAKIFIXIT location.

Nope water resistance isn't compromised.

That's UbreakIFix's statement. Its as water resistant as a new one out of the box.. That's part of why they dont just replace the screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like this and i assume uv light were there
    that is normal.

if you don't see it in regular light with the screen ON. then don't bother troubling yourself(or anyone else) for that matter.

still dont like it because I am probably not going to keep the phone

That is certainly your choice.

Just sharing details on how the process is when the device gets repaired by Samsung/authorized warranty repair..
    it is a screen issue, my note 8 didnt have this issue and if samsung makes a $1000 phone and can't run at half brightness they have a problem

It's an opinion you're certainly entitled to but mileage will vary between OLED displays. Some will have it, some will not. The technology has not reached maturity in the time these types of displays have been out on the market, yet manufacturers keep pushing the envelope with colour depth and resolution.

My Note4 exhibited this, albeit to a lesser extent, and while my Note9 is an improvement over that, it's not perfect and does show similar characteristics. It's just not enough of an issue through regular usage for me to care about. Furthermore, a camera will exaggerate the phenomenon more so than the naked eye, so there is that to consider as well. The better OLED displays at this stage cost way more than any $1000 phone. For example, in broadcast, we have a client who needed a 4K HDR reference monitor and they bought a new generation Sony unit, only 27", worth around $40,000 but still with the issue of having to recalibrate it every six months because the blue component of OLED displays do not seem to have a long life. Now, imagine how much the Note9 would cost if it had an OLED display of that quality.

For me, the phone does what I paid for. In which case, the $1000 phone is serving me well. For you, possibly not and in which case, you have higher standards than I do. But that's not the point.

I'm not going to discuss what's reasonable and what isn't. I'm simply here to point out that OLED is not a truly matured technology and it will be some time before it is significantly improved to minimise these issues and be consistent from one display to the next. Until then, it will be a bit of a lottery. For those who don't want to experience these issues, avoid OLED or use it in the way that the technology itself (not the design) currently allows for. Like it or not, that's the trade-off at the moment.
    I suspect it is not the screen pixels per say, but if you look at all the screens that have that similar "burn in shape" just like mine, I think it is the battery that is damaging the screen from the inside. The placement of the battery and that burn-in shape is in the exact location. So when the battery is fast charging either wireless or through cable, that battery gets very hot and I can feel it through the case during fast charges. Multiple fast charges under high current will probably cause some screen degradation over time whether you have it when plugged in the car for Android Auto or overnight at home. This is a bad design and replacing the screen will not solve the problem, unless they manage to make a screen with better thermal isolation from the battery directly behind it. So one may think the screen replacement was the solution, but I have read others reporting the same outcome in just a short few months to a year again.
    I have ordered a new replacement under warranty from Verizon after 10 months of ownership on my current Note 9. I will disable fast charge and see what happens in a couple of months. I still think the battery will get warm but I can extend the long term damage from excessive heat damage from the battery. Just thought.

Cheers.
    Your Heat generation comment makes a plausible explanation.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk