Focus S Headphones Controller Not Working

Search This thread

StriderNo9

Dec 20, 2010
The phone rocks, but it does have some flaws. Right now I can't seem to pause and play without pressing the button on the headphones like 2 or 3 times. I tested out a few headphones that I know worked on my old Focus and my iPhone and they don't work consistently either.

I also tried the Focus S headphones on my iPhone and it works perfectly. Anyone experience this?

jmerrey

Aug 28, 2010
you know i have, i've been posting (*****ing) about this since sunday ;) I'm suspecting a major flaw in the design of the jack itself, but we'll see. The next track/previous track doesn't seem to work at all, and the pause/play seems to take some manipulation to work

Madmax0609

Feb 20, 2010
I get a popping sound through the speakers in my car (AUX plug) when I change from track to track. I am using the same cord I used to use with my Focus and I've checked my Focus S in both of my cars that have an AUX input.

Has anyone else tried this?

Plug your phone into your car using a male-to-male 3.5 cord and play your music through it. When you change from one track to the next you'll hear a popping sound. It's much louder in my Lexus vs my Impala but it's obvious in both cars.

ldgus

Oct 26, 2011
I am also having both the controller issue and the "popping" sound through the speakers of my car.

The volume buttons seem to work, but the play/pause button only works when I hold the button for a second or two before letting it go. Because you have to hold it for a second before it registers, you can't use it to go back or forward through songs. I tried the controller from my Venue Pro in the Focus S with the same results, so the problem is probably with the phone itself and not the controller.

Whenever I have an AUX cable plugged into my car with the engine on, I can here a loud whining noise that I assume is the cable acting as an antenna and picking up noise. When I plug in the DVP, it seems to sort of ground the cable and stop picking up noise even when music isn't playing. With the Focus S, the noise continues when the phone is plugged in and only stops when music is playing. During the short time between songs, music is not playing and there seems to be a sort of noise spike that makes a "popping" sound.

I suspect both of these problems are related and have to do with the jack as jmerrey suggests.

Last edited:

spampy22

Apr 3, 2010
I have been having the same issues with both the Car playback and the controls on headsets. I really hope they fix this major flaw. This phone will go back if not.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Last edited:

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
FYI I am using a stereo Bluetooth headset from Motorola and do not see any of the above issues.
Volume up/down, pause/play and skip forward and back all work as expected.

Sent from my Focus S using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

that's because the issue stems from the actual headphone jack, it's not a software or firmware problem, but a hardware issue.

StriderNo9

Dec 20, 2010
Okay I figured out how to get the controller to work pretty much 100% of the time. You can't just press the button, you have to hold it down for about half a second for it to pause and play consistently. Any more or any less than half a second and it won't work. I've been doing this for pretty much the entire day and it seems to be working now. Little annoying that it works on a delayed press but its better than not working at all.

jmerrey

Aug 28, 2010
Yes, but you still don't get the double press for next track, or triple for previous track. I've been able to get the double press to work a few times, but that's it. I've also noticed that with aftermarket sets, like a beats headset, it's incredibly inconsistent. I really hope this is fixable with a software patch, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Ikkari

Mar 18, 2009
I have the same problem with my Focus S. The volume buttons are working fine, the problem occurs only with the play / pause button.

If you want to play / pause you have to hold the button longer than just the usual
short click. If you know the trick it works most of the time for play / pause, switching songs with a double click is almost impossible and very hard to time.

I tried it with the original headset from my Focus S and with the Nokia purity all have the same problems.
I also tried the all headsets with my Lumia 800 and a Omnia W all working fine.

It seems to be a Focus S only problem, not sure if it is hardware or software related.

I'm on 8107 using 2103.11.10.1 Firmware would a hard reset solve the problem??

aeppacher

Apr 14, 2012
firmware issue

I have experienced all of these problems above and here are a few tips/fixes and ideas. First with the headset controller on the ear buds, I noticed if you press harder it picks it up easier. If you get it down just right you can time it for going forward and backwards. Still not a real fix. Its definitely the phone because it works on my focus, iPhone, and mac. Also, I think it may be firmware related because the popping occurs between songs for the aux cable in the car only when audio isn't playing, so I would assume it had something to do with the firmware, not the hardware. It distinctly gets quieter when music plays, even if the music is silent (just knowing something is playing is enough for it to shut up). Also I noticed that when I plug in my phone for battery, it connects, disconnects and then reconnects. I noticed this with the vibration (should only be once, actually is 2-3 times). And when battery is low you notice because you plug in, it disconnects and you get a notice of critically low battery, and then it connects. I think this may be the firmware that all the ports seem to turn on and off whenever given any form of stimulus (data or power sent through them).

Ikkari

Mar 18, 2009
Tango and the new Samsung Firmware fixed this issue!!!
Now i can listen to my music how it is meant to be!!!

:victory::victory::victory:

Reactions: aeppacher

Ikkari

Mar 18, 2009
I got Tango, but I had to hard reset my Focus S to get the Firmwareupdate.

Maybe because I InterOP unlocked my Focus S, I'm not sure why it worked after a Hard Reset.

My Software is now:

Firmware: 2103.12.05.2

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
yes but didnt the LE2 software update disable your ability to interop unlock your device?

if we can get the phone accept our own signed cabs we can extract the driver updates, fixes and patches and ignore the diagnostic tool updates that disable our interop unlock method.
in short make a backup BEFORE applying any samsung OEM updates, when you need to interop unlock again, you can revert to your pre OEM update, apply the interop unlock again, then re apply the OEM update. from what i gather you are best doing this every time you have an OS update as there have been issues with restoring backups that cross OS versions...

Oh course you lose any unbacked up txts etc, but i think the benifit outweighs the hassle.

aeppacher

Apr 14, 2012

I got the firmware update, but it didn't fix my headphone issues. It is still incredibly unresponsive, and the annoying clicking that is head better via aux cable is still present. Anyone have the same issue?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.