kitkat for nook color

Search This thread

frav.se

Aug 5, 2011
Halmstad, Sweden
So, using what you did, and the guide it came from. Does this root and install a CWM? Or do you need to do all those steps first. Just a bit confused as how to take my stock Nook Color and get it to CM11

Never mind; got it figured out and up and running. This process did root and get it up and running on CM11 for me. :)

I'm using a SD-card for CM11. So no need of rooting the internal stuff.

FallApart

Feb 8, 2014
gapps trouble for cm-11-20140308

I had jellybean on my NC and it worked but it was very sketchy, but that was my fault i'm sure because I'm new to this so anyway it went into a boot loop so i decided to start fresh. Now I have cm-11-20140308 running on it and it's working great except i have no goggle apps, no play store, i have the gmail icon but it just flashes when i click on it it never really opens. I used 20140105 for my gapps file. Should I be using a different one?

boomtastic

Mar 25, 2011
I've been fighting with my Nook for 2 days now trying to get KitKat on it and am about to give up. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and missing something stupid because I can't get this thing to load (it's all on the EMMC btw). Any tricks/tips? I've searched the forum like crazy (and Google) but haven't found much unless it's SD based. My many thanks in advance!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I've been fighting with my Nook for 2 days now trying to get KitKat on it and am about to give up. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and missing something stupid because I can't get this thing to load (it's all on the EMMC btw). Any tricks/tips? I've searched the forum like crazy (and Google) but haven't found much unless it's SD based. My many thanks in advance!
Can you be more specific as to what is not working?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

boomtastic

Mar 25, 2011
Can you be more specific as to what is not working?

Sorry about that - I was in a haze after pouring through forums for 48 hours and not thinking clearly. Originally I had ICS on an SD card and wanted to upgrade to KitKat. I didn't see the note that KK needed the upgraded Recovery until *after* I had attempted loading all of the software because I was reading an old post. So I worked through that nightmare and got an upgraded Recovery but every time I tried to load KK it said that there were no files or directories and just shut down. So I scrubbed the SD path (since I figured it would be better to had that as extra storage anyways) and got 10.2.1 loaded to the EMMC. All is good up to that point, except that I still have an old Recovery loaded on the Nook, and that's about where I'm stuck. I can't get my Recovery updated (if I need it at all? Guessing yes), the Nook doesn't boot into the Recovery that's on the EMMC for some reason (I can boot into 6.0.1.2 from an SD card though, so all is not lost), and the CM11 isn't loading no matter which way I load it (Recovery, Rom Manager).

Welcome to my weekend! May I also add a thank you for your expertise. I've seen your posts before and they are quite informative. Great work!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Sorry about that - I was in a haze after pouring through forums for 48 hours and not thinking clearly. Originally I had ICS on an SD card and wanted to upgrade to KitKat. I didn't see the note that KK needed the upgraded Recovery until *after* I had attempted loading all of the software because I was reading an old post. So I worked through that nightmare and got an upgraded Recovery but every time I tried to load KK it said that there were no files or directories and just shut down. So I scrubbed the SD path (since I figured it would be better to had that as extra storage anyways) and got 10.2.1 loaded to the EMMC. All is good up to that point, except that I still have an old Recovery loaded on the Nook, and that's about where I'm stuck. I can't get my Recovery updated (if I need it at all? Guessing yes), the Nook doesn't boot into the Recovery that's on the EMMC for some reason (I can boot into 6.0.1.2 from an SD card though, so all is not lost), and the CM11 isn't loading no matter which way I load it (Recovery, Rom Manager).

Welcome to my weekend! May I also add a thank you for your expertise. I've seen your posts before and they are quite informative. Great work!
As far as I know there is not a comprehensive guide for installing CM11 to emmc on the Nook Color. You do need an updated recovery and the requirements for partition sizes is a problem too. Your best bet is to install it to SD. I have updated the SD image so that the SD installer works. I suggest you try that.

Before you write over that bootable 6012 SD I suggest you put either 5504 or 6012 on internal memory so you can make mods to that CM10.2.1.

Last edited:

boomtastic

Mar 25, 2011
As far as I know there is not a comprehensive guide for installing CM11 to emmc on the Nook Color. You do need an updated recovery and the requirements for partition sizes is a problem too. Your best bet is to install it to SD. I have updated the SD image so that the SD installer works. I suggest you try that.

Before you write over that bootable 6012 SD I suggest you put either 5504 or 6012 on internal memory so you can make mods to that CM10.2.1.

Thanks! I'll try the image route, and to get the 6012 on the internal somehow.

onedementedsmurf

Oct 9, 2006
Has anyone else had any issues with SD corruption? I've not had any issues with this card in the past and it seems to work fine for about 10-15 mins after initial boot but then it crap out and has loads of files with random file named. Also I noticed upon view in the SD in the storage menu it grossly misreads the capacity (it's a 4gb card showing 12.8gb in apps, 24.03gb in pictures and videos, 35.75gb in audio, 170mb in download, and 8.95gb in misc.)

Sent from my NookColor using XDA Premium HD app

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
Has anyone else had any issues with SD corruption? I've not had any issues with this card in the past and it seems to work fine for about 10-15 mins after initial boot but then it crap out and has loads of files with random file named. Also I noticed upon view in the SD in the storage menu it grossly misreads the capacity (it's a 4gb card showing 12.8gb in apps, 24.03gb in pictures and videos, 35.75gb in audio, 170mb in download, and 8.95gb in misc.)

Sent from my NookColor using XDA Premium HD app

There have been lots of SD problems reported, best bet is to use a Sandisk class 4

MrGHLover

Dec 3, 2013
kitkat working on the nook color

I have the nook color running Android 4.4.2 kitkat working just fine. if you want the video and some more help. my channel name is youtube.com/Everything4Tech1

drearyworlds

Jan 7, 2014
Madison, AL
Just got mine updated from CM10 to 11 and man, what a difference! It went from barely usable to very usable. Which is really an added bonus, because I really only use it for reading. I just like upgrading stuff. This is how it went for me. I had CM10 with TWRP installed to EMMC. I put my microSD into my Surface, downloaded the CWM update zip, CM11 nightly zip, and gapps zip for CM11. Put all zips on the root of the SD.

-Loaded up in TWRP recovery mode.
-Chose install. Chose the CWM update zip.
-Rebooted and chose EMMC recovery. It loaded up CWM.
-Chose install again and installed CM11.
-Rebooted and chose EMMC recovery.
-Installed gapps the same way.
-Rebooted.

Bam. So I didn't realize it at the time, but this actually did an upgrade instead of a clean install. All my apps are still there. I might want to wipe and do a fresh install, but I'm not sure how. I didn't think this would preserve everything. But I'm happy with it. It had a few hiccups loading Clash of Clans and Facebook the first time. But after updating the apps to the latest version and clearing data and cache, it seemed to fix things.

Kudos to the CM team!

xflier

Nov 4, 2008
I tried cm11 latest nightly, everything is good except browser, it took forever to finish loading a page like androidcentral, anybody else has this issue and any solutions?

frav.se

Aug 5, 2011
Halmstad, Sweden
I reinstalled both of my Nook Color last weekend with the latest SD image "generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-10.2-11-largest-Rev8c" + "cm-11-20140927-NIGHTLY-encore.zip" + "gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip".

Everything went fine except for that the Chrome browser says "unfortunately, chrome has stopped" everytime I try to start it. Same thing on both NCs. Someone having a suggestion of how to fix that? I have tried to cleare the Chrome cache.

I have now upgraded to "cm-11-20140928-NIGHTLY-encore.zip" , still the same behaviour.

hwong96

Oct 3, 2011
Chicago
I reinstalled both of my Nook Color last weekend with the latest SD image "generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-10.2-11-largest-Rev8c" + "cm-11-20140927-NIGHTLY-encore.zip" + "gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip".

Everything went fine except for that the Chrome browser says "unfortunately, chrome has stopped" everytime I try to start it. Same thing on both NCs. Someone having a suggestion of how to fix that? I have tried to cleare the Chrome cache.

I have now upgraded to "cm-11-20140928-NIGHTLY-encore.zip" , still the same behaviour.

Chrome will not work on the Nook Color. Ram usage by Chrome is north of 200mb. Free ram on the average Nook Color is around 150mb to 200 mb depending on the number of apps installed. How much free ram is on your Nook Color? Read the reviews on Google Play for Chrome.

chandanvbhat

Mar 25, 2013
CM 11 update from Settings

My Nook color is running CM 10.2, is it possible to update it to CM 11 directly from the settings (About Phone) ? Or does it require any newer version of recovery mods? Expecting replies ASAP. Thank you.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
My Nook color is running CM 10.2, is it possible to update it to CM 11 directly from the settings (About Phone) ? Or does it require any newer version of recovery mods? Expecting replies ASAP. Thank you.

No, it requires an updated recovery.

Sent from my SM-T707V using XDA Premium HD app

just_magikkal

Nov 18, 2016
Noob here, just trying to figure out how the heck you put GApps on the Nook Color? The instructions on the CM installation guide are very... not clear. (I'm sorry for such a stupid question but google didn't answer this and I do not have the patience to read through every reply xD )

Reactions: pdc50

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Chrome will not work on the Nook Color. Ram usage by Chrome is north of 200mb. Free ram on the average Nook Color is around 150mb to 200 mb depending on the number of apps installed. How much free ram is on your Nook Color? Read the reviews on Google Play for Chrome.
    I agree, it's great that so many people put in so much effort to bring Kitkat to the aging NC.

I do have one question. Would someone be so kind as to post a link to a suitable CWM for CM11 on the NC? I have 6.3.0.1 on mine, and can't find a link to anything newer for the life of me.

EDIT: I found it, but can't post a link because I'm a n00b. Google for cm11-encore-recovery.zip_links to find it on the Cyanogenmod wiki.

I'm booting CM11 for the first time now.
    Best versions are here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49915965&postcount=34

Homer
    Thanks! I'll try the image route, and to get the 6012 on the internal somehow.
    My NC tips thread has a 6012 for emmc. Just flash the zip.

Noob here, just trying to figure out how the heck you put GApps on the Nook Color? The instructions on the CM installation guide are very... not clear. (I'm sorry for such a stupid question but google didn't answer this and I do not have the patience to read through every reply xD )