Sipdroid 1.0.4 Primer [updated 2009-08-15]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

subigo`

May 26, 2009
Holy crap this is the greatest thing in the world. I only use my G1 as a wifi only device (no SIM card or service), but I do have Gizmo5 and Google Voice.

Thanks to this BADASS application, I can now use my G1 to make calls anywhere wifi is available.

/you are my new hero.
//tell me how to make the freaking thing actually RING when I get a call and you'll be my new God.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Holy crap this is the greatest thing in the world. I only use my G1 as a wifi only device (no SIM card or service), but I do have Gizmo5 and Google Voice.
Man I wish GV would open up invites. I'm using ipkall for my DID. I'd really like to use Google so I could get one in a more appropriate area code.

Thanks to this BADASS application, I can now use my G1 to make calls anywhere wifi is available.

/you are my new hero.
It is a pretty badass app. However, I didn't code any of it. The SIP stack was written by some student and the Android portion was written by an engineer at iptel. Thank them :D
//tell me how to make the freaking thing actually RING when I get a call and you'll be my new God.
It's not possible yet. Right now I guess its only really good for calling out. Hopefully some patches to alert on incoming calls will be added soon.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Btw, for those using the non-market version, Sipdroid has updated to 0.9.5. Since it's mostly bugfixes, there is no change to the primer. Those who are using a HTC-specialized build (which has the added "H" connection icon) should upgrade to this version to fix a connection bug.

http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/downloads/list

Btw, adding this atom feed to your rss reader can help keep you updated on new versions (it works with other google-hosted projects too, like w4ru):

http://code.google.com/feeds/p/sipdroid/downloads/basic

Press menu and choose "Send DTMF..." It might not work with all SIP setups though.

Thanks didn't notice that before! :) Is this your project by the way? I'm a C# programmer but have been looking at alot of source lately for android apps. I don't think it would be too hard to add a ring into the program. It wouldn't use your system ring but could easily access an mp3 to play on incoming. Haven't fiddled with the source yet but might give it a go for fun.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Thanks didn't notice that before! :) Is this your project by the way? I'm a C# programmer but have been looking at alot of source lately for android apps. I don't think it would be too hard to add a ring into the program. It wouldn't use your system ring but could easily access an mp3 to play on incoming. Haven't fiddled with the source yet but might give it a go for fun.
Nope, it is not my project, nor have I contributed any code (I don't know a whit about SIP). The project lead is Pascal Merle, who I believe is an engineer at iptel. Anyway, if you want to help develop Sipdroid, I think the first stop is to svn the source to your computer and take a look. Then you can submit a sample patch to the Sipdroid developers google group. Pascal might give you commit access then.

There is an open issue for incoming call alerts here and some discussion here. However it seems to have been merged with some other related issues so i'm not sure there is heart in it with the current devs for a real fix.

Hi guys! i hope this is the right thread to post this.

i've got a G1 updated to 1.5 and have d/l Sipdroid through Market. i'm only interested in using the calling to the U.S. through WiFi at the moment since i've been having problems with Telcel, my Mexican provider, and i have access to WiFi pretty frecuently.

i also have a Gizmo5 account. i'm still pretty unsure how to set this system up. i'm using my home's router at the moment. In Sipdroid's settings, i've got my Giz username and password but am unsure what Server info to input. i also have the Port = 5060 and use WLAN checked -- hmmm, maybe i should try this with WLAN unchecked. i'd like to call a landline in the U.S. and have Preferred Call Type = SIP at this point.

In my G1's upper right hand corner, i have a orange-red dot at this point.

Any ideas as to what i need to fix? Have a great evening! :)

Gizmo's server is proxy01.sipphone.com port 5060 and just turn the IP always on if available.

Hi guys! i hope this is the right thread to post this.

i've got a G1 updated to 1.5 and have d/l Sipdroid through Market. i'm only interested in using the calling to the U.S. through WiFi at the moment since i've been having problems with Telcel, my Mexican provider, and i have access to WiFi pretty frecuently.

i also have a Gizmo5 account. i'm still pretty unsure how to set this system up. i'm using my home's router at the moment. In Sipdroid's settings, i've got my Giz username and password but am unsure what Server info to input. i also have the Port = 5060 and use WLAN checked -- hmmm, maybe i should try this with WLAN unchecked. i'd like to call a landline in the U.S. and have Preferred Call Type = SIP at this point.

In my G1's upper right hand corner, i have a orange-red dot at this point.

Any ideas as to what i need to fix? Have a great evening! :)

Last edited:
Well, i finally got it to call out! All i needed, as was stated in the posts above, was Gizmo5 and Sipdroid. My problem was that i didn't have the correct Server in Sipdroid. i needed "proxy01.sipphone.com" and that was sufficient to get me my Green Light!

Unfortunately i called my 93 yr. old mother from Mexicali at 11:30 P.M. and she wasn't very happy picking up the phone on her end at 3:30 A.M. Duh.

It looks like i'm going to have to buy some Gizmo5 CallOut minutes but at $20/mo. it's better than Sprint where i was paying over $50/mo. and i can call from home in Mexicali!

A question. i still have Skype minutes. Can i use them with Sipdroid?

Have a great afternoon! :)

Edit> geekingitup2005, Thank you! i didn't notice that you had posted a reply. i don't know why i didn't get a notification in my e-mail. Anyway, your post reflected the answer to my problem exactly. This program is really great! However i just tried to call a friend in S. Cal., and the ph. never even produced a dial tone (busy or ringing) or a tone which indicated that it was dialing. i've tried a couple of times so i don't know what's happening. Anyway, thanks again for posting and have a great afternoon! :)

Last edited:

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
i needed "proxy01.sipphone.com" and that was sufficient to get me my Green Light!
If you read the original post carefully, its shown there.

It looks like i'm going to have to buy some Gizmo5 CallOut minutes but at $20/mo.
Gizmo CallOut minutes are not billed on a monthly basis... they are purchased as prepaid minutes that you recharge when you use them up.

A question. i still have Skype minutes. Can i use them with Sipdroid?
If you use Gizmo's OpenSky function, yes I believe you can.

I am not sure if magicjack works for mexico too but its unlimited to the us and canada. International minutes are extremely cheap though if not.(like a penny a minute) I pay $20 a year for it and love using it via pbxes with my g1.

Last edited:

geemboomba

Jan 10, 2009
***** - Five Stars!!

I was able to make Gizmo5 calls and they sounded very clear. I was also able to call skype contacts via gizmo5 which is totally neat.
I set up pbxes.org to and was able to route gizmo5 through it but I am not exactly sure why I would need it. So I reverted back to using gizmo5 directly.

Thank you for this excellent piece of software!!

alexhtcg1

May 20, 2009
South Pacific
twitter.com
So just yesterday the 1.5 was finally pushed to my phone and I installed the Sipdroid..

I set it up using Gizmo5 (proxy01.sipphone.com) and was able to make a call to my @gtalk2voip.com address. Worked perfectly.

I guess for all other scenarios I'd need to buy credits (outgoing for gizmo to call skype/pstn, outgoing for gtalk2voip to call my G1 back etc etc)

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
I guess for all other scenarios I'd need to buy credits (outgoing for gizmo to call skype/pstn, outgoing for gtalk2voip to call my G1 back etc etc)
iirc calling skype is free, you are just limited in how long each call can last. There are some posts in the Gizmo forum from users who bought the Skype Premium upgrade so id take that into consideration too.

alexhtcg1

May 20, 2009
South Pacific
twitter.com
iirc calling skype is free, you are just limited in how long each call can last.

Thanks, short free calls to Skype_whoever work great too...

By the way, one thing I noticed, whenever Sipdroid is on (no matter pstn preferred or sip) you can't dial USSD... For example in my network I use *100# to check the balance, it will always strip the # and just call *100

Last edited:

robiom

Feb 13, 2009
I live in the UK and have tried Sipdroid over WiFi and Gizmo5 and managed to get the echo test okay. I have not been able to get it to work with 3G or EDGE using Gizmo5 direct and not through pbxes.com. I found the site to be a real pain in the neck and the instructions in this thread are good but there are differences which caused me a problem.

I think I'll wait for the RC1 to appear which should be able to go direct to my SIP provider.

I think there needs to be a facility to change the port aswell so that Tmob can't block it. I know this is available with pbxes.com but again not clearly explained and it doesn't say whether any port number can be used or just a few select ones.

All that said, this is a great step forward for voip on the G1. Just what I need when abroad on work to avoid extreme expense.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
I think there needs to be a facility to change the port aswell so that Tmob can't block it. I know this is available with pbxes.com but again not clearly explained and it doesn't say whether any port number can be used or just a few select ones.

All that said, this is a great step forward for voip on the G1. Just what I need when abroad on work to avoid extreme expense.

You can change the port arbitrarily in Sipdroid. The only question is whether your SIP provider allows connections on ports other than 5060.

Status
Not open for further replies.