[Kernel][Both] USB host mode support added (github link)

Search This thread

punkgeek

Apr 15, 2011
Hi ya'll,

I've just added USB host mode support for the Galaxy Tabs. ( Can some mod move this post to the Android developer forum and bless me for posting in that forum? I'm happy to answer questions/discuss but I can't post there yet because I just created this account)

[Ugh! because I have less than eight posts I can't include github links - you'll need to linkify yourself... ]

The github site is here:
github.../humcycles/galaxy-tab-modified

Documentation on the changes:
github.../humcycles/galaxy-tab-modified/blob/master/Kernel/Documentation/usb/s3c-otg-host.txt

The changelist you probably want if you are want to cherry-pick into another kernel tree:
github.../humcycles/galaxy-tab-modified/commit/99388abf98f8b8583dcfb31339c8673a9fea62bd

These changes fix a number of bugs in the Samsung host mode software but are probably not well suited for regular end users. I would recommend that developers who are generating Galaxy Tab kernels consider picking up these changes.

Last edited:

Mjoelnir77

Aug 9, 2011
It really works? That would be superb news! :D Thank you very much for investing your time in it. Can`t wait to see it in a kernel on my tab.

punkgeek

Apr 15, 2011
It really works? That would be superb news! :D Thank you very much for investing your time in it. Can`t wait to see it in a kernel on my tab.

Yes. It works for me on a Sprint SPH-P100, but I bet it will work on all 7" tabs (the USB hw seems the same). I look forward to some other dev trying it out and letting me know how it works for them. From looking at the samsung sample code, I bet it will work on most samsung chipset based devices (certainly the S5PC100 based ones).

*** Can some mod move this thread to the Galaxy Tab Development forum and bless me for posting there? ***

Reactions: debernardis

punkgeek

Apr 15, 2011
Does P1000 have the right hw, can it provide 5 volts to usb client or we also need a power injector (usb hub)?

I bet it will also need power for the 5V USB. In the samsung code they have bits that look like it is turning on the right LDO to have power, but nothing comes out on my SPH-P100. Either the sw init needs more work, or they didn't stuff some part when they built up the units.

[ Ugh - I can only reply once every 5 mins because I don't have enough posts ]

Reactions: debernardis

Blittz

Apr 27, 2011
Yes. It works for me on a Sprint SPH-P100, but I bet it will work on all 7" tabs (the USB hw seems the same). I look forward to some other dev trying it out and letting me know how it works for them. From looking at the samsung sample code, I bet it will work on most samsung chipset based devices...

Does that mean this hasn't actually been tested on a SGT yet?

agc93

Mar 14, 2011
Brisbane
Can somebody explain why it is needed? What is it good for?
It allows the Tab to act as the controller for USB devices, rather than the other way around. In practice, it means that you can use things like usb sticks, keyboards, mice and the like which usually require a computer (the host) with the Tab.

Anyone more knowledgeable, feel free to correct me.

Reactions: odysseus84

punkgeek

Apr 15, 2011
for months I wait this,
SGS also waiting it too, Shall you post in their forum?

Sure. And since I haven't seen a mod move this to the right forum yet, I hope ya'll don't mind if I bump up my post count to 10 by replying to this thread. After I have ten posts I can post in their forum.

Mjoelnir77

Aug 9, 2011
lol, don`t get banned over this - it is for a good cause, but one never knows if the Mods that see this see it the same way

punkgeek

Apr 15, 2011
lol, don`t get banned over this - it is for a good cause, but one never knows if the Mods that see this see it the same way

Hmm - I just want to be able to discuss this in the right forum. I hope I don't get banned, but I don't really care to much - I made these fixes because I needed host mode for my application. I'm almost there - just need one more post :D

Top Liked Posts